The true cost of an EMTB are they getting more or less expensive

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The Haibike Allmtn has gone up to £6500 vs £5800 last year when I bought and returned mine,
I've moved to focus for the pro plus Jam2 (some time this month hopefully), some of the price jump is component upgrades but some of it is the pound, you have to keep in mind our currency buys 20% less than it did Pre-Brexit (I'm in the motor trade and Christ are cars going up - my world is corporate with premium brand sold with low margin so there is little fat on the bone to cut).
I think we have only a couple of years though before big price drops, a motor and a battery only retail for soo much, we are currently paying for R&D - I'm be surprised if the motors don't offer recuperation braking soon as well, they just have to get the weight balance so you are not engineering in more weight and therefore battery usage than the recouperarion gives you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recuperation of kinetic energy on a ebike is just not worth it. Sales gimmick maybe but the physics don't support it. The kinetic energy of the bike and rider is too low. A car is 100 times more massive and is travelling at 5 times the speed , so the kinetic energy is 2500 times as much.The cost and weight of a recuperation kit would easily pay for a slightly bigger battery

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
The 2017 haibike allmtn 5.0 is almost the same spec as my 2016 allmtn rc. The 2017 bike is £400 cheaper than last years model. A good buy imo.

Monoblock

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Ref recuperation, in regards to car vs bike, much more power can be recouped from a car I agree as it has more force that can (with loss) be converted to potential energy back on to the battery, but the bikes lower recoup available is relative to the power to get it going in the first place.
The only way I could foresee it happening is to stop the rear gears free wheeling and in stead have the motor able to free wheel, then have brake by wire so the motor engages to brake, spin the motor round inside the coil and instead of potential in to kenetic you should get the reverse, how you vary that braking becomes a lot more complicated though, there is not a huge charge to be had unlike a car, but the bike battery does not have of give out much charge - I don't think we are there tech wise at the moment but I don't think we can say never either

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ref recuperation, in regards to car vs bike, much more power can be recouped from a car I agree as it has more force that can (with loss) be converted to potential energy back on to the battery, but the bikes lower recoup available is relative to the power to get it going in the first place.
The only way I could foresee it happening is to stop the rear gears free wheeling and in stead have the motor able to free wheel, then have brake by wire so the motor engages to brake, spin the motor round inside the coil and instead of potential in to kenetic you should get the reverse, how you vary that braking becomes a lot more complicated though, there is not a huge charge to be had unlike a car, but the bike battery does not have of give out much charge - I don't think we are there tech wise at the moment but I don't think we can say never either

.. put the numbers in, it's not worth it.
The killer of energy in a bike is not the kinetic energy, or even climbing hills it's the wind. Say you are travelling in a 10 km HR breeze at 20 km HR. Then you are either in an apparent wind of 10 km HR or 20 km HR or 30 km HR depending on your direction.
The technology to recuperate energy from the wheel during braking is available. In fact it was easier to do in the past when the motors were of the brushed DC motors type.. it happened automatically when the wheel was going faster than the voltage supplied expected. ... , but the energy budgets don't work out. It's not a technology thing it's more basic than that... Unfortunately!!

The only time where it would be advantageous would be on very long steep mountain descents where the energy going into the battery would mean less wear and heat on the brake pads, but more wear on the tyre.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers