Thinking of buying ex rental e bike

steven2002

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2013
So I was away at the weekend and an ebike rental company in a forest near me is selling off their 2017 bikes.
2017 cube reaction race 27.5.priced at £750.
One of them has 820kms on the clock and the usual scratches and dings of a rental bike.
I had nearly bought it but when I came home I decided to check the forum,
That's when I noticed the issues with the Bosch bearings and other things.
I don't want to buy something which would need a new motor after a while.then I seen that it is possible to replace the bearing and not the complete motor.
The bike rides well and not noisy,is it worth that sort of money or best stay clear?.

One of the other bikes had near 1000kms and the bearing was hanging out of it and noisy motor.whereas another had 1200kms and was nice and tight and quiet!
Cheers,steven

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
A warranty is not necessarily transferable to a second owner - so don't rely on this!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
A warranty is not necessarily transferable to a second owner - so don't rely on this!
not if you take it to a bosch dealer in the uk its not but they could sort it if they wanted to.

as long as the motor has warranty pcg in the link above will take over the warranty and get it replaced.

there is a sn on the motor so you can check first as you have to send the motor to them b4 they can replace it with a new one.

you will have to pay postage there and back tho.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
It’s well documented that the bearing can be had cheaply and are easy enough to change with a bit of patience
Don’t forget you only read about failures which is a very small percentage not the masses that are still going strong
I personally would buy one and not worry just buy the best you can at the time as you would any second hand purchase

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
There is no massive problem with Bosch bearings. I am friends with the mechanic in the local bike shop, he has maybe 40 ebikes (mainly Bosch and Yamaha) in every week. Nearly all of them are for normal bike problems, brakes, gears, cables, tyres etc. I don't think he's changed more than a couple of motors in 5 years.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Cheers guys, does the price at £750 sound reasonable?.
All I will say is a motor is 600
And a battery near enough the same
I would say as long as it a good bike and rides well it’s a bargain

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If you are getting a bike with @1000km on it for £1000 less than new then it is indeed a bargain, alowing for the usual checks anyway.

steven2002

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2013
Thanks,just phoned and asked them to get the bike ready,a couple of cables,new rear tyre and a general check over, hopefully collect at weekend.
Managed to get it for £700.
Heres hoping all works out ok.
Thanks folks, Steven.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Thanks,just phoned and asked them to get the bike ready,a couple of cables,new rear tyre and a general check over, hopefully collect at weekend.
Managed to get it for £700.
Heres hoping all works out ok.
Thanks folks, Steven.
Remember. This thread needs pictures. Enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and Gaz