This Falcon jolt, different speed sensor than other bikes.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Hi all,
The Falcon jolt that I bought seems to power up and down differently to the other ebikes I had and it is a bit annoying.
What happens is it powers down at 15mph, or whatever the bike is going at, but then doesn't power up until it is at about 12mph, and this is on the flat of course. So when it powers down, i have to start putting a good bit of pressure on pedalling until it decides to power up again.
I never noticed this on my other bike so I am not sure now if they did the same or gradually put more power into the motor when the bike was slowing down so that it kept the bike at its top electrical speed.
Lol, I just thought about the name of the bike.... Very apt since it kinda jolts into power mode :)

Whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
First thought, is it the same on all three of the switched power levels?

Second thought, the law does require the power level to phase down as it approaches the 15.5 mph cut-off. So it may be that there's some power between 12 and 15 mph, but it's not until it falls to 12 mph that full power returns.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Similar to flecc's reply. Once it has hit the cut off power, full assist will only start at the lower speed of 12mph. All to do with the controller software programming so nothing you can do to change it unless of course you are able to up the cut off via a lcd if fitted.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
First thought, is it the same on all three of the switched power levels?

Second thought, the law does require the power level to phase down as it approaches the 15.5 mph cut-off. So it may be that there's some power between 12 and 15 mph, but it's not until it falls to 12 mph that full power returns.
Your first thought is interesting. It does not do it on the lower two power settings, only the highest. I kinda keep it on power 2 now unless I am going up a hill.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
If it's anything like the spark it just has a big delay in starting up. The controller will take a throttle, which also derestricted these

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
If it's anything like the spark it just has a big delay in starting up. The controller will take a throttle, which also derestricted these
Yes it does take longer to assist than the other bikes I had.
Please tell me how do I add throttle and derestrict it?
Thank you.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Yes it does take longer to assist than the other bikes I had.
Please tell me how do I add throttle and derestrict it?
Thank you.
You unscrew the box under the battery, the controller is in here. There should be a 3 wire plug with nothing plugged in, the throttle goes in there. It should run derestricted on throttle or at least mine did. You can find a 3 wire throttle on eBay for pennies, just check it has a connector matching yours otherwise you'll have to cut it off and crimp a new one

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
You unscrew the box under the battery, the controller is in here. There should be a 3 wire plug with nothing plugged in, the throttle goes in there. It should run derestricted on throttle or at least mine did. You can find a 3 wire throttle on eBay for pennies, just check it has a connector matching yours otherwise you'll have to cut it off and crimp a new one
Thanks for that.

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
My conversion kit from China ..used to do what you are describing and it made the PAS very difficult to use the power cutting in and out with a very narrow power band in all 5 levels ...I have an 8 magnet disc I went into the settings on the controller and altered the setting so it thought I had a 12 magnet disc ...and the PAS system now works much better more predictable and much smoother ... some time I may change the disc for a 12 magnet one ...but if it 'ain't broke don't fix it ....