This is something I will not do again

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
I will be even more careful now. Dint think they would be so many cyclists there.... Thx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Very scary video by TFL - really outlines a serious problem of bikes and trucks

Sorry if its been posted before

Blind Spot
Whats really scary is the fact that this has been constantly mentioned since at least the 70's and
a ) nothing has been done to reduce blind spot for lorry.
b ) cyclists/motorcyclists are still dumb enough to undertake a lorry at junctions.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
That certainly is terrifying.....surely to god in this day and age it isnt too much to ask for lorries to have better mirrors.....they NEED to be able to see who is alongside them

Im going to forward that to my eldest son.....an HGV driver.....seems like there needs to be much more

awareness on BOTH sides

Lynda :)

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Assuming the camera was correctly positioned to simulate the drivers view, both of the trucks near-side mirrors are incorrectly set. The top 'straight-running' mirror is showing too much of the sleeper-cab. The lower manouvering mirror is again showing too much of the cab. Had both mirrors been correctly aligned, the cyclists would have been visible to the driver.

The message within the demonstration is very clear. Truck drivers don't bother to set their mirrors correctly, so give them the widest possible berth.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
The message within the demonstration is very clear. Truck drivers don't bother to set their mirrors correctly, so give them the widest possible berth.
Very good point Bob.

I usually give them a very wide berth whilst in my M/home too.....especially when its windy !

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whats really scary is the fact that this has been constantly mentioned since at least the 70's and
a ) nothing has been done to reduce blind spot for lorry.
b ) cyclists/motorcyclists are still dumb enough to undertake a lorry at junctions.
A lot has been done about the trucks in London. Some have been equipped with high additional mirrors which show the driver what is right alongside the cab door nearside and even a front high mirror to show what is immediately in front of a high cab. The idea is for the examples to spread into greater use, so the authorities are trying hard to solve this problem, but obviously they need the co-operation of truck owners.

You are quite right about your (b) above. This issue has long been heavily publicised in London and nationally on TV etc but still we get the idiots who put themselves in this danger, very unfair to truckers. Perhaps they should be prosecuted when seen doing it?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
A lot has been done about the trucks in London. Some have been equipped with high additional mirrors which show the driver what is right alongside the cab door nearside and even a front high mirror to show what is immediately in front of a high cab. The idea is for the examples to spread into greater use, so the authorities are trying hard to solve this problem, but obviously they need the co-operation of truck owners.
Maybe but none of these are a legal requirements. It also seems to me that a few cameras as seem to be appearing in more and more cars would be a useful addition especially if on side of trailer rather than cab so angle of cab would not effect what is seen as in video.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Very scary video by TFL - really outlines a serious problem of bikes and trucks

Sorry if its been posted before

Blind Spot
I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it, lorries are the main cause of cycle deaths on our roads.. I always stay well clear of them and I think other cyclists would be wise to do the same.. never go alongside them or too close behind..and absolutely never over take them on the road..just use a pavement.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it, lorries are the main cause of cycle deaths on our roads.. I always stay well clear of them and I think other cyclists would be wise to do the same.. never go alongside them or too close behind..and absolutely never over take them on the road..just use a pavement.
Absolutely. It's all very well cyclists complaining, but we are all responsible for our own safety on the roads and far too many cyclists seem to think that others are the problem. Truck drivers, van drivers, car drivers, pedestrians, they all come in for slating from cyclists, many of whom cycle in stupid or dangerous ways, can't be bothered to have a rear view mirror, buzz pedestrians on crossings, jump lights, ride too fast on shared paths, don't bother with lighting after dark and never try to accommodate other road users.

If cyclists find things too dangerous on the roads, the first place to look for the problem is in a mirror.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Absolutely. It's all very well cyclists complaining, but we are all responsible for our own safety on the roads and far too many cyclists seem to think that others are the problem. Truck drivers, van drivers, car drivers, pedestrians, they all come in for slating from cyclists, many of whom cycle in stupid or dangerous ways, can't be bothered to have a rear view mirror, buzz pedestrians on crossings, jump lights, ride too fast on shared paths, don't bother with lighting after dark and never try to accommodate other road users.

If cyclists find things too dangerous on the roads, the first place to look for the problem is in a mirror.
http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/education/bookstore.asp?FO=1269577&DI=630352

Was forced to read older version of this from cover to cover (and questioned about) before being let loose on my moped many years ago by my father and while its obviously more relevant to motorcycles I reckon it would not hurt most cyclists to read it as well. Covers precisely what you mean hazard observation and avoidance. Maybe lorries etc should have better mirrors etc but they dont and so its up to you to not put yourself in a position where they come into play. No good complaining the lorry was in the wrong when your in hospital or worse.

Advertisers