Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

D

Deleted member 4366

I guess I was more concerned in the number of charge cycles on the battery, if I charge every day instead of every other day....I'm hoping the battery will be good for 1000 full cycles (does that also mean 2000 half cycles ???), that'll equate to 5 years + (hopefully)

Thanks all
You don't have to worry about any of that. The battery has its own management system that ensures that it's kept in the optimum voltage range. Just keep charging it after you've used it. Maybe try to avoid keeping the charger connected for a very long time after it's gone green. It's nothing to panic about though.

The only battery information we have is historical. We can say that a well-used Chinese battery from three years ago is probably coming towards the end of its usefulness, but there's been massive improvements since three years ago, so it would be reasonable to expect today's Chinese batteries to last a lot longer. In three years time, there'll be much better batteries available, so you probably won't care whether your three year old one is OK or not.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can't see my bottle battery going beyond 2 years of useful life and it has Samsung cells. In that time I will probably have done about 8,000 km which works out to about 0.03€ a kilometer (not electricity, battery cost). I think that decent walking shoes probably cost as much... :)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You don't have to worry about any of that. The battery has its own management system that ensures that it's kept in the optimum voltage range. Just keep charging it after you've used it. Maybe try to avoid keeping the charger connected for a very long time after it's gone green. It's nothing to panic about though.

The only battery information we have is historical. We can say that a well-used Chinese battery from three years ago is probably coming towards the end of its usefulness, but there's been massive improvements since three years ago, so it would be reasonable to expect today's Chinese batteries to last a lot longer. In three years time, there'll be much better batteries available, so you probably won't care whether your three year old one is OK or not.
cheers d8veh for the reassurance. I'll stick it on charge after the daily commute. I did buy one of these, it works well, flick the switch on either 2,4,8 hrs (half a charge is either 2 or 4hrs) and forget, knowing that it'll stop charging after the pre-select time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSMANN-AES-1-Energy-Saving-Timer/dp/B005C9S0I8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1475337064&sr=8-4&keywords=timer+plug

Convert123

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2016
N Ireland
What do you think is the optimum tyre pressure for the Kenda tyres on this bike? Also, is it really worth upgrading to something more puncture resistant?

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
What do you think is the optimum tyre pressure for the Kenda tyres on this bike? Also, is it really worth upgrading to something more puncture resistant?
I run mine pretty hard, at about 60lb. That's been pretty successful for a range of terrains for about 700K without problems. Not a puncture in sight (until tomorrow morning!)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I swapped the stock Kendas for Schwalbe Energizer Plus 700 x 35c, at £10.99 from SJS Cycles. Roll really nicely, good grip, 800km no punctures. Run them at about 80psi

Convert123

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2016
N Ireland
I swapped the stock Kendas for Schwalbe Energizer Plus 700 x 35c, at £10.99 from SJS Cycles. Roll really nicely, good grip, 800km no punctures. Run them at about 80psi
Many thanks guys!
What about the 6 week check-up at Halfords? Is it worth the effort?

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
Is it worth the effort?
I think it mainly depends on your skills and the staff in the store. They suggested it would only take 20 minutes, so clearly its a check over and tightening rather than anything more complicated, most of which I could do. On the other hand I had a Very stuck pedal (I wanted to change them) so used the service to deal with this. They had to remove the crank arm and set it in a vice in the motor servicing section. It took longer than 20 minutes but the only cost was for the new pedal.

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
has anyone(Carrera user) got the experience of comparison of Carrera crossfire with any Bosch-crank-drive bike ? If yes, can you please share your opinion.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I've just picked up my Crossfire-e - really disappointed to see that the Display has changed and no longer has the animals on! Does anybody else have this display? On the plus side, the display now clips off. Not sure if this is a 2017 model update, an old model or merely an aberation?! Has anybody else got a non-animal display?

Also, the remote hand controls are a little different, as is the usb port (now mini-usb rather than full usb)

Attachments

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I've just picked up my Crossfire-e - really disappointed to see that the Display has changed and no longer has the animals on! Does anybody else have this display? On the plus side, the display now clips off. Not sure if this is a 2017 model update, an old model or merely an aberation?! Has anybody else got a non-animal display?

Also, the remote hand controls are a little different, as is the usb port (now mini-usb rather than full usb)
Wow, looks similar to the setup on the more powerful E-45 motor
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/de/DE/e-bike/e-45-rear-motor/

Is everything else the same i.e. battery, 250w rear hub motor ?

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Wow, looks similar to the setup on the more powerful E-45 motor
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/de/DE/e-bike/e-45-rear-motor/

Is everything else the same i.e. battery, 250w rear hub motor ?
Good spot - I'd just found the same info! That is the same Display and "satellite" control setup that I have.

Unfortunately the battery is still 11.6ah and the motor appears to be the 250W 50NM motor rather than something a bit more beefy!

I wonder if they are all coming through like that now or if they temporarily ran out of the "animal" displays so stuck on whatever else they had lying aorund?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Good spot - I'd just found the same info! That is the same Display and "satellite" control setup that I have.

Unfortunately the battery is still 11.6ah and the motor appears to be the 250W 50NM motor rather than something a bit more beefy!

I wonder if they are all coming through like that now or if they temporarily ran out of the "animal" displays so stuck on whatever else they had lying aorund?
Looks good, yep I reckon that's the new type of display. The stock of crossfire-e's was very low a month or 2 ago, reckon this new stock has got the new display coming through.
I like that the goat (100% assitance) has been replaced with the word Sport.
Guess I'm sporty then on my commute up the big hill every day lol

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
does the new model also have the cut-out problem ?
I've not had it yet - but have only ridden it about 200metres! The battery does fit very securely in the cradle - no movement at all. I will update after the weekend when I've ridden it a little more.

My partner had a Septmber 2016 delivered bike (animal display) and has only encountered the issue once in around 200 miles. No big issue then - just hit the power button on the battery to get it going again.

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
has anyone(Carrera user) got the experience of comparison of Carrera crossfire with any Bosch-crank-drive bike ? If yes, can you please share your opinion.