Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

doclatham

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2013
does the new model also have the cut-out problem ?
My bike had the cut out problem - about 7 times in 1100km so quite rare. Halfords eventually sent it away to a 3rd party for repair. I am going to pick it up tonight. My wife had the same problem on hers and a colleague at work also. So 3 out of 3. I'll be interested to hear if they actually acknowledge they have found a problem, or just say they couldn't reproduce it - because they didn't want to cycle 200km to trigger it!

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
My bike had the cut out problem - about 7 times in 1100km so quite rare. Halfords eventually sent it away to a 3rd party for repair. I am going to pick it up tonight. My wife had the same problem on hers and a colleague at work also. So 3 out of 3. I'll be interested to hear if they actually acknowledge they have found a problem, or just say they couldn't reproduce it - because they didn't want to cycle 200km to trigger it!
Interesting...was it just the battery that was sent off or the whole bike ? I've had the problem about 6-7 times in 1000km only twice where it needed the key and a complete battery removal (other times just press the battery button)
How long has it taken to turn around the fix ? Use mine daily so would be an incovenience if too long

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
has anyone(Carrera user) got the experience of comparison of Carrera crossfire with any Bosch-crank-drive bike ? If yes, can you please share your opinion.
I have ridden Bosch, but not in taxing circumstances. (I liked it!)

I have ridden Yamaha up steep hills so can compare against that - Yamaha drive hauls my 17stone weight up a 13% hill with a bit more ease than the carrera pulls me up an 11.7% hill. I guess that is the torque difference?

I think you really need to ride both and decide for yourself. For me, the price differential between Carrera and the Bosch / Yamaha powered bikes was not a price worth paying (£600+) - I figure if I get on with the bike I will replace it with a more technically advanced one in a few years time.

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
I have ridden Bosch, but not in taxing circumstances. (I liked it!)

I have ridden Yamaha up steep hills so can compare against that - Yamaha drive hauls my 17stone weight up a 13% hill with a bit more ease than the carrera pulls me up an 11.7% hill. I guess that is the torque difference?

I think you really need to ride both and decide for yourself. For me, the price differential between Carrera and the Bosch / Yamaha powered bikes was not a price worth paying (£600+) - I figure if I get on with the bike I will replace it with a more technically advanced one in a few years time.
Thanks redcupp for your response!! I have tried both rides but unfortunately the test ride time/terrain is too short to make a decision if extra 6-700 pounds are worth..

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi my thoughts exactly have tried the crosffire and a bosh bike,cube, both very good heart would like the cube but that extra cash is holding me back.cheers

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I still think the crossfire is hell of a lot of bike for the money (£1100) compared to the competition.
I managed the nabb it for about £640 after discounts and vouchers etc back in August, so a no-brainer at that price.
50 mile run at the weekend, on 25% assist with 15% battery remaining (that included some big hills)
Halfords often do 10% off everything flash sale. Get another 10% with British Cycling membership, that takes it down to nearly £900

Good luck

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
I still think the crossfire is hell of a lot of bike for the money (£1100) compared to the competition.
I managed the nabb it for about £640 after discounts and vouchers etc back in August, so a no-brainer at that price.
50 mile run at the weekend, on 25% assist with 15% battery remaining (that included some big hills)
Halfords often do 10% off everything flash sale. Get another 10% with British Cycling membership, that takes it down to nearly £900

Good luck
thanks egroover for your 'decisive' opinion.

• Agree

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol

Good luck
Agree with most of this.
At £1100 I would have had a closer look at offerings from competitors.
At less than £900 I think it is a great option.
If you can buy discounted gift vouchers through work (or elsewhere), you should be able to get it for less than £800.

In terms of battery, I have commuted 30 miles in "Sport" mode and have 42% battery remaining (my commute is fairly flat and I try to pedal above 16mph where possible to save the battery).

Very happy with it so far.

• Informative

AndyEBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
has anyone(Carrera user) got the experience of comparison of Carrera crossfire with any Bosch-crank-drive bike ? If yes, can you please share your opinion.
Yes, originally bought a Crossfire which is now my wife's bike and I have a Cube Cross Hybrid with the Bosch crank drive. The Bosch is smoother in my opinion - unsurprising as it has more inputs (cadence, speed and torque) and does clever things like momentarily stopping assistance on gear changes. Of course, it was some £500 more than the Crossfire. Both do the job well. Depends whether you want to pay more. I mix some fairly rough off roading on Dartmoor with a lot of cycling on very hilly Devon lanes. The Cube is better off road (bigger wheels, semi-knobbly tyres, better frame) but the Crossfire's motor is fine off road too, the bike itself is just better suited to road use. For off-road a crank drive gives better weight distribution when coping with the technical bits. In terms of hill climbing etc there is little difference. The Crossfire motor may be fractionally quieter - probably because it is behind you. So - if you just want a bike for road use and gravel and don't want to spend that extra money the Crossfire is a fine bike. Want to get a bit muddy? Look for a crank drive.

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
Yes, originally bought a Crossfire which is now my wife's bike and I have a Cube Cross Hybrid with the Bosch crank drive. The Bosch is smoother in my opinion - unsurprising as it has more inputs (cadence, speed and torque) and does clever things like momentarily stopping assistance on gear changes. Of course, it was some £500 more than the Crossfire. Both do the job well. Depends whether you want to pay more. I mix some fairly rough off roading on Dartmoor with a lot of cycling on very hilly Devon lanes. The Cube is better off road (bigger wheels, semi-knobbly tyres, better frame) but the Crossfire's motor is fine off road too, the bike itself is just better suited to road use. For off-road a crank drive gives better weight distribution when coping with the technical bits. In terms of hill climbing etc there is little difference. The Crossfire motor may be fractionally quieter - probably because it is behind you. So - if you just want a bike for road use and gravel and don't want to spend that extra money the Crossfire is a fine bike. Want to get a bit muddy? Look for a crank drive.
Thanks Andy for your response. I think i have decided on my option. If i am able to get Bosch bike at around £1500 with cycle2work scheme voucher then i will go for it else i will go for Carrera.

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
bit off topic but what do you guys use to transport your bikes ? i recently bought a universal bike rack for the back of my car and low and behold couldn't get our E-bikes on the thing!!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
What ever you buy, just be careful that none of electrical cables will get damaged when sitting on rack. I had to reroute a cable on my wife's bike. Who ever designed bike didn't think how it would fit on a rack.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Has anybody out there swapped the carrera saddle out for a new one?

Do you want to sell the old one?

My partner loves the Carrera Saddle on her crossfire-e and wants one the same for her non-assisted bike - so if anyone can help me out for a reasonable price, please let me know.

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
  • Informative

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I had a bad day on my Crossfire-E yesterday. Firstly the motor cut off again (the fourth time since getting the bike in July) but I long pressed on the power button on the battery (as I usually do) which fixes it then whilst cycling home I developed a puncture in the rear tyre and spent a fiver on a puncture repair kit. I then got home and my pump broke when trying to inflate the tube to see where the damage is. I then went back to my bike shop and another fiver on a new bicycle pump. Anyway, I managed to repair the tube myself without taking the wheel off the bike as with it being an e-bike I am a bit unsure about disconnecting the electric wiring on the wheel. However it looks like in future if I have to get a new tube then it's up to Halfords for them to remove the rear wheel for the job to be done.

• Informative