Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

Discussion in 'Which electric bike should I buy?' started by Earn, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Borwick

Borwick Just Joined

I had a pleasant visit to Halfords in Barrow in Furness. First I cycled my Crossfire around town and then over the slag bank which ascends steeply along the side of Walney Channel . This, by the way is a delightful maritime mtb ride with views up to the high Lakeland fells. 'The Slaggy' has been much landscaped and now forms something of a common . Parts are very steep and rugged .

At Halfords I had pre-booked a test ride on a Crossfuse and I took it on the same ride that I had just done on my modded-up Crossfire.

The Crossfuse is more appealing in the flesh than it appears to me on Halfords photos and is a nice looking bike . It had the standard tyres, of course, as issued rather than my mtb tyres but performed well off-road as well as on tarmac. I returned it inevitably a little muddy and they were very nice about it .

My impression was that the Crossfuse had more pull in the motor than mine and a shade better up hill but not by much. The gearing is similar but I did not count the teeth on the cogs . It is definitely a nicer bike but I will not be rushing to change.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Power is difficult to assess. What you feel as power is actually the torque. Crank-drives always feel more powerful because the torque increases in the low gears, which is where you get your first impressions. Each time you change up a gear, the torque goes down. The hub-motor's power characteristics depend mainly on speed. In the mid-range and up to the 15 mph cut-off, where you use the bike most, it'll most likely have superior torque.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Borwick

Borwick Just Joined

Thank you. That is very informative.

I tend to pootle about on tarmac mostly but also have a run on grass and mud of about 3 miles each way which I do a few times a week and also in The Lakes, encounter some of the most severe hills. So torque is important to me. So, when needing most torque and so assistance I guess that I should try to keep in a fairly high gear on my hub based bike?

I took both Carrera bikes over the Barrow slag heap which is practically vertical in parts to test just that. The 'fuse has 9 gears to the 'fire's 8 but I am not sure if the ratios are in fact much different in bottom gear. On the steeper parts the 'fuse seemed to be a fraction easier to keep moving.

I have been a bit underwhelmed by the 'fire's battery capacity and though it has not run out, I would have expected more life. In Halfords they told me that the 'fuse had a longer battery life. It is certainly different and looks much smaller. When they were on offer, I was toying with the idea of buying a second 'fire just to get another battery for longer excursions taking in multiple Lakeland passes but now the price has gone back up, that fancy has gone...

On a run, I just switch the power on when really needed but still the battery drops alarmingly. On one hill which is really steep and about a mile long the battery dropped by some 8% on that incline alone and I was pedalling hard in the highest gear I could manage.

One point I should report is on the smoothness of the motor cutting in which was said to be an advantage for the 'fuse. I cannot say that I noticed any particular difference between the two bikes. The 'fire feels very pleasant and I would not have clocked that as an issue had it not been raised in other reviews.

My richer friends are slowly coming out of hibernation now and I will be interested to compare my economical 'fire with Haibikes, Scotts and the Treks when I visit the nicer villages and will report my impressions ... if they are willing to swap ...

4. anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi Pedelecer

Yesterday I caught up and passed a chap on a Bosch powered bike (brand written really small, couldn't read it - great marketing!). He was very unimpressed so stood up and gave it all he had to re-pass me. I had the assistance turned up to 35 km/h (I know! Naughty me... :rolleyes: ), was seated, in jeans, a big woolly sweater and parka with a couple of panniers on the back. He was in lycra and wearing a helmet, guess who won :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Right now, he's doing a Google search for how to dongle his bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. footpump

footpump Pedelecer

i own kudos vita uno and Carrera subway fitted with 250w tdz2 moter 60nm
    last year booked demo of Halfords crossfire and Vulcan.
    prior to demo tried my tdz on a steepish local hill.
    then tried cross fire/Vulcan found the Halfords ebikes quite and more comftable than tdz but struggled on all three as regards the same hill.

then purchased bosch active line 50nm same as crossfire/Vulcan this is different again seems better in tour mode than tdz , on which I mainly use sport. not tried bosch on same hill as above.

overall find kudos much easier to ride as its speed not torque sensor.

tdz better on hills. bosch requires more effort, but descent range.

also tried merida big trail on a local steep hill, better than what I own as regards hill climbing but 70nm and over 3k

7. egroover

egroover Pedelecer

Sorry to report that I had my first cut-out on my new (1st Jan) Crossfire-e today.
    Was stationary at the lights, pulled away, looked down and saw display off. Didn't need to re-seat the battery, but did need to power on at the battery switch (not just display switch)

I did have a theory that, as the bike felt a bit slower than my last Crossfire-e, Halfords/Suntour had de-tuned these new ones (sold in the last few months) in the hope of reducing or eliminating cutouts.

To be fair, one cutout in 10 weeks, is better than my previous Crossfire-e (1st gen), where over the same period I may of got 3 or 4 cutouts, and not a problem that'll bother me in the slightest, but I thought it worth mentioning as I know a few owners might still follow this thread

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice