Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

D

Deleted member 4366

It can only be an internal battery fault, so you need a replacement battery. I would say that it's something like the cell-pack is able to move inside the case, and when it does, it pulls on a wire, which compromises a connection.

Try leaning the bike right over on each side and then bump it on the road to see if gravity will reproduce the fault.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The motor on my Crossfire-E has cut off again for the second time. It seems to happen when I turn very tight corners for example when I am riding and manoeuvring my way through the fences at the end of bicycle/walk paths.

The only way to get the motor and display back working is by long pressing the button on the battery.

I don't whether to contact Halfords and see if they have any recommendations.
Why would you not go back to them ?
They sold you the bike, it has a fault, its their responsibility to rectify it.
I would also show them this thread with all the other people that have had the same problems with this CrossfireE.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

doclatham

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2013
I have had this happen to me twice this week. Before that just once several weeks ago. I will report to Halfords at 6 week service but I have also emailed their customer service desk to get it on the record.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Informative

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Everyone with a problem should go back to Halfords, it only when they get loads of returns and it starts costing them a substantial amount, that they'll do something to stop it happening to all the CrossfireE's that they sell.

• Agree

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I gave Halfords a call and they told me to bring the bike in as there has been a few owners with that fault too. I don't know if I could be without my bike for a day as it has become an addiction but I guess it's better to get it checked and fixed.

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I gave Halfords a call and they told me to bring the bike in as there has been a few owners with that fault too. I don't know if I could be without my bike for a day as it has become an addiction but I guess it's better to get it checked and fixed.

Did they give any indication as to what the problem is? Do they even know?

Would you mind going undercover for the good and benefit of the forum?

Codename 'Detective Pedelec' allocated.

Assigned operation codename 'Carrera - Rush!' (That's what it means in English) ;)

Try and find out why they aren't rushing too far? Journeys may depend on you. Good luck and 'Keep em peeled'. :D

PS. See if can get them down to £600 if you can. :p

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
hi Carrera users,
can someone please tell if a pannier rack can be fitted with Carrera e bike ?
also if the motor is a torque or cadence sensor ?
Regards
Sunil

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
Hi Sunil,
Yes a pannier rack can be fitted. I had Halfords fit mudguards and rack when I bought it. It was in the Topeak Tourist range, a matching bag slides very easily into place. I find it useful in that there's no obvious place for a bottle cage and pump.
The motor is torque sensor.
Bryn

Paranoid android

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Newark
Hi, I've had my Carreras e bike for some time now, and am very happy with it.
I use it for my daily commute of about 5 miles round trip and the battery usually lasts for about 4-5 days before charging.
I find it a godsend at the end of a shift when I' m knackered and on my way home. However sometimes I' m surprisingly up for a bit of a workout and feel like switching the assist off . But when I do this I can still feel the motor pulling on the wheel. And I usually give up and reconnect the power.
Is this supposed to happen or is it just a drawback of e bikes?

Cheers.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That isn't supposed to happen, if you really have drag in the motor something is wrong. You should feel the extra weight, that is normal.

Reactions: Paranoid android

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
Hi Paranoid Android (may I just call you Paranoid?)
I've had something like this and I'm not sure yet if its real or imagined. I tend to cycle under my own power as much as possible, using the motor for hills, headwinds and that few moments of boost now and then. On occasions I've switched off the power and found it a little "pully" only to realise I was still on a slight uphill slope. It is a big heavy bike (with a big heavy rider). I sometimes think that the motor make it so easy that "normal" seems a little more difficult.
On a more definite level I've had to realign the rear brakes which were binding a little. Its perhaps worth checking how easily the wheel spins.
Bryn

Paranoid android

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Newark
Hi Paranoid Android (may I just call you Paranoid?)
I've had something like this and I'm not sure yet if its real or imagined. I tend to cycle under my own power as much as possible, using the motor for hills, headwinds and that few moments of boost now and then. On occasions I've switched off the power and found it a little "pully" only to realise I was still on a slight uphill slope. It is a big heavy bike (with a big heavy rider). I sometimes think that the motor make it so easy that "normal" seems a little more difficult.
On a more definite level I've had to realign the rear brakes which were binding a little. Its perhaps worth checking how easily the wheel spins.
Bryn
Hi Bryn, I will certainly check the things you suggest. However I am pretty sure what I experience is the motor dragging the wheel. It happens intermittently and feels like the brakes are being applied and let off and then back on again.
Cheers, call me para

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My vote is brakes binding too. If it was the motor you might have a noise as well. Rear wheel true? All spokes nice and tight?

Reactions: Paranoid android

Paranoid android

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Newark
:)Had a play on the way to work this morning and I think you guys are right, it's probably the brakes. Looks like some adjusting needs doing when I get some free time. Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: Brynric

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
Sunil,
When I bought my bike I was so impressed that I suggested my wife should consider it. She had tested a couple of other bikes and quite liked them. Unfortunately the local Halfords was out of stock and there were none available within a sensible distance. So we put in a reservation for one (at the sale price) but there was about a months wait. We are hoping that next weekend could see a restocking.
Bryn

• Informative

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
hi Brynic,
Even though nothing was showing online, I tried one local halfords shop and fortunately they had one Carrera e bike available. it was a great experience to do a test ride on it. I must say i was fully amazed with the bike. I tried multiple assistance settings and no-assistance settings. The bike was OK to drive with no-assistance as well. With electric assistance, it was flying !
The bike is quite light as well, as the halfords person was able to easily lift the bike from first floor to ground floor.
I have reserved the bike and once i get my cycle2work voucher, I will collect it.

Regards
Sunil