Thoughts on using high intensity flashing red light during day

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
A great idea in theory, but so many drivers think that it's their right to drive and not a privilege, that it would get massive opposition if the government tried to make it law.

A relative of the family has a condition where they have dizzy spells, which can come on at any time. They have already had a car accident, which we suspect was caused by this condition. Luckily, no one else was involved.

Even after countless suggestions, from close family, that maybe they should give up driving, they continue to drive. They even get angry and irritated when the subject comes up.

It's the, it's my right, attitude that will continue to allow drivers on the road that are a danger to themselves and others.
Wait tilll it's your turn, you might have a change of mind.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
A great idea in theory, but so many drivers think that it's their right to drive and not a privilege, that it would get massive opposition if the government tried to make it law.

A relative of the family has a condition where they have dizzy spells, which can come on at any time. They have already had a car accident, which we suspect was caused by this condition. Luckily, no one else was involved.

Even after countless suggestions, from close family, that maybe they should give up driving, they continue to drive. They even get angry and irritated when the subject comes up.

It's the, it's my right, attitude that will continue to allow drivers on the road that are a danger to themselves and others.
Well i hope that they don't have major accident and hurt several people
because if the police find out the first thing they would state would be
you shouldn't be driven at all

The police have everything to work out what has happened to cause the accident there is no such thing as a cover up

If there was several people injured i am sure the way of the world is today they would want to get every last penny out of the person that did it
very much a "cut-throat" world today

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Well i hope that they don't have major accident and hurt several people
because if the police find out the first thing they would state would be
you shouldn't be driven at all

The police have everything to work out what has happened to cause the accident there is no such thing as a cover up

If there was several people injured i am sure the way of the world is today they would want to get every last penny out of the person that did it
very much a "cut-throat" world today
Believe you me, they have had the 'what if' argument rammed down their throat, but apart from informing the DVLA, there isn't much else one can do. Good old human rights sees to that :eek:

No more hijacking of this thread, sorry OP. If anyone would like to continue this topic, feel free to start another thread in 'The Charging Post'.

kcrane

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
I use a solid white front and solid red rear all of the time, plus separate flashing red/white lights if visibility is poor. I pretty much always wear a hi-vis.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As a cyclist and a driver, I am not keen on flashing lights, front or rear, day or night. Gaz is correct in his observations in post #5. There is simply no need to be flashing
I remembered these comments today as I saw an approaching ambulance cutting through the traffic, it got me thinking of the merits flashing vs solid.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I remembered these comments today as I saw an approaching ambulance cutting through the traffic, it got me thinking of the merits flashing vs solid.
I do drive her car from time to time. As a driver flashing white lights really annoy me, they are often blinding. Red rear isn't so bad.

As a "cyclist" behind the wheel I am reasonably bike aware so a good strong non flashing light on both ends is what I prefer to see. High vis vest at night is the law outside city limits here and they do help a lot more than flashing lights.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike