Threat to bam cycling on A63.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
On some A roads you need a suicide wish to ride on them

I agree that bicycles should be banned from them when there's an alternative cycle path in place

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I agree that bicycles should be banned from them when there's an alternative cycle path in place
Trouble is the appalling state of some of the cycle paths alongside A and major B roads. Broken surfaces, strewn with cut thorn and broken glass, even an MTB with Marathon Plus tyres would suffer and the roadies wouldn't stand a chance on their skinny tyres.

One of these not far from me actually disappears to long stretches of grass and mud at points, such has been its neglect.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire

I doubt many people would want to cycle on it, the problem is it sets us on a slippery slope. We could end up forced onto a cycle paths that are little more than a pavement with a white line down the middle when the road is perfectly acceptable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cycling UK have a thread going on the A63 potential ban, the road apparently is a 60 mph road and with no where else for cycles to go. I believe a cyclist or two have been murdered whilst riding along with the fast traffic.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Illegal to ride in France on any road with legal max over 90 km/h. Cycles, tractors and horses share the same fate. It makes going some places long and overly complicated on a bike.

In Spain you can ride on some roads which are double carriageway and limited to 100 km/h but never through tunnels unless they have a separate cycle path.

In the civilisation of the car the rule is: If you want to ride a bike from point A to point B fine, but it will be 33% farther then with a car and there will be steeper hills.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Illegal to ride in France on any road with legal max over 90 km/h. Cycles, tractors and horses share the same fate. It makes going some places long and overly complicated on a bike.

In Spain you can ride on some roads which are double carriageway and limited to 100 km/h but never through tunnels unless they have a separate cycle path.

In the civilisation of the car the rule is: If you want to ride a bike from point A to point B fine, but it will be 33% farther then with a car and there will be steeper hills.
Yes but we will still get there and often sooner.

D

Deleted member 4366

If I understood it right, the problem is that local cycle clubs use that stretch of road for time trials, which holds up all the traffic. I guess that a prominent council member, or someone similar, got caught up in a delay and decided to seek revenge or try and prevent it from happening again. You can figure out the rest.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
The concern here is that cyclists are being made to go on the defensive, so instead of being able to spend energy and time lobbying for safe and accessible cycle routes, we're put on the spot to defend our right to the access we've had for decades. It's pure cynical manouvering against the cyclist on behalf of the massive motor lobby.

• Agree
Reactions: Zac and flecc