Three went Dutch

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
I have just returned from a week of cycling in Holland. :)
The trip was undertaken by three of us 60+ YO's who all belong to the Atomic Zombie bike builders forum.
Two of us (with heart & associated health issues) were on our home-made tadpole-trike's with e-assist and the youngest member (who is very fit) was on a home-made Python-Trike (Delta) without e-assist.

The e-assist contingent was seeking to prove that e-bike touring between camp-sites was a viable approach to touring. We managed to ride every day and to re-charge at night and have full capacity for the next day (as assurance of getting to the next destination). Mostly we were on no or low-levels of assist and for me, I only dropped below 4-bars on my battery state gauge twice in the whole 8-days.

All I can say about the entire experience is "Wow!"
The dual-layer approach to transport segregation in Holland is really great. Only inattentive idiots are at risk and most (99%) of drivers and cyclists are extremely courteous. The Fietspads (cycle-network routes) are just magic.

If you get an opportunity to try a bike trip to Holland, Do It!

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Photos or it didn't happen.....

Joking just wana see some bents with propulsion

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
Sorry folks,
I do have pics and footage of the trip but it needs organising first.
I will post some stuff as soon as I can.
My intention was to string all the clips together as a mini-documentary, but it is a big task for a technically challenged person like me.

Reactions: Sarabee

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
Here is a clip of our riding out of town and then along the dune route.
And here is a really cute clip of us "Duck-Herding"...LOL

There is a lot more footage but it gets boring watching the same 3 bikes and the scenery float past. You have to go there!!!!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Loved it. :)

What mileage did you do each day?
Did you carry all your own gear?
Hotels or camping?
Did you drive over, via the ferry, of course?
What did you do with your vehicle during the trip?

So many questions and so little time. :D

Ann Lewis

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Aberavon South Wales
Danny c61 I would love to try Holland I was suppose to go with my husband and friends but had drop out. I have taken the trike to Ireland and most of the UK but I woud love to take it to Holland. I really hope I can get electric assist fitted as I can,t go far in this area South Wales without hitting hills. I have believe it or not 63,000 miles clocked up on my trike. That's besides journeys on our tandem and a few years back my solo touring bike. I will only be able to carrying on cycling with the aid of an electric assist. Thank you for all your posts regards Ann

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
Sorry to all who have been kind enough to reply or express an interest in my first ever tour abroad, I have been absent for too long and Microsoft has destroyed my PC too many times this year.

I am building a new trike this year and hope to repeat my touring experience at an early opportunity.

The trip in its entirety is written up and is being serialised on the Atomic-Zombie member web-site as a series of newsletter articles.

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
Loved it. :)

What mileage did you do each day?
Did you carry all your own gear?
Hotels or camping?
Did you drive over, via the ferry, of course?
What did you do with your vehicle during the trip?

So many questions and so little time. :D
I think the most Miles per day was around 40.
We carried all our own gear in trailers that we parked at our camping sites while we explored each new area.
All camping.
Vehicles were parked at the ferry terminal in the UK. :)

Reactions: LeighPing

DannnyC61

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2015
Danny c61 I would love to try Holland I was suppose to go with my husband and friends but had drop out. I have taken the trike to Ireland and most of the UK but I woud love to take it to Holland. I really hope I can get electric assist fitted as I can,t go far in this area South Wales without hitting hills. I have believe it or not 63,000 miles clocked up on my trike. That's besides journeys on our tandem and a few years back my solo touring bike. I will only be able to carrying on cycling with the aid of an electric assist. Thank you for all your posts regards Ann
Ann,
If you can manage it, it is well worth the effort. Holland is a delight. e-assist meant that I never felt in any jeopardy regarding my safe return to base and I was able to tune the assist to my physical needs for each section of a day's travel. Wonderful!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
As I write this I am in Netherlands,will get renting a bike to cycle from the Haarlem.
I was last here 20 yrs back,as a touring club cyclist, hated it because you have to use cycle lanes, but things have changed for me.
I see great merit in cycle paths over here now,it's enlightening to see ordinary people, using bikes to commute, even work,tradesmen use Cargo bikes instead of vans,it seems very normal! Go to a train station and there are ranks of bikes,instead of cars parked.
Reckon it would be nice to retire here except Brexit had kyboashed that.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
oh wow this is heaven to me. Whenever I'm in Holland I want to hire a bike but whoever im with isnt interested. I have a friend who went on holiday to the sea in the North (islands?) and hired electric bikes and had a blast, though she was with a dutch speaker and she reckoned it was necessary. Still fancy doing that sometime too.

Advertisers