Throttle bike for mild disability

James Mee

Just Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Bristol
Hi there,
I have M.E. and this means I cant do much/any exercise. I tested a Kalkhov pedal assisted bike yesterday and it involves far too much contribution from the rider. I then tested a bike (not sure of the brand) with a throttle and this was great - I basically can't use the pedals on a bike at all and just need to sit there with the throttle!

The helpful person in the shop said that to get around the throttle ban some makes allow optional extra throttle kits and one bike he reccommended was the "Oxygen S-Cross ST".

I was wondering if there are any other bikes that have this throtte kit that are reccommended?

Many thanks :) :)

D

Deleted member 4366

An electric bike that you buy in a shop will go round the car park on just the throttle, but with most of them, if you have any steep hills, you'll be stuck.

Some bikes, like the Woosh Big Bear and Ezee bikes have a bit more power with the throttle. One of the Ezee bikes with 20" wheels would probably give sufficient torque to get you up all but the very steep hills, or ring Woosh and see what they suggest. A bike with a crank-drive motor would probably be the best if you can find one with a full-range throttle.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi James, Thank you for posting. We have many customers with M.E. and understand the requirements well. The Freego models priced between £999 and £1099 (with standard battery) are good reliable hill climbers and the throttle can be de restricted to work at full speed: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/FreeGo-electric-bicycles
The warranty is 2 years and aftersales support is very good. You may even find a local dealer - if not our Oxford or Bristol stores will be happy to help: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/oxfordstore
https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/bristolstore

The good news is that there are good value, well supported options that should work for you.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi James, for £1099 you could be the proud owner of a Wisper 705se with throttle kit. Probably the best bike in it's class, supremely reliable with the legendary Wisper support. Unlike other bikes at the same sort of price Wisper bikes have very solid and well built frames with 10 year warranties.

Do try a few bikes before you buy though.

705se.jpg
They are currently available from The Electric Transport Shops in Bristol and Oxford, their managers love them!

All the best

David :)

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Forgot to say, if you want something really special the Wisper 705Torque at £1,599.00 is very easy to pedal or you can go for the throttle kit. This bike is completely silent. Excellent Value! All the best, David

705Torque.jpg

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
JM, as you need the bike to be capable to take you home without pedalling, the choice of motor is important.
Can you tell us how hilly is where you live, your height and weight?

Something like this £999 Woosh Krieger may suit. It has crank driven motor, 13AH battery, 8-speed, quick release front and rear wheels, full throttle and pedelec.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk?krieger

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
basically can't use the pedals on a bike at all and just need to sit there with the throttle!
I find soft pedalling much less tiring than just sitting there. If you can't pedal I guess the fatigue in your arms, shoulders and back sets in very quickly?

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi there,
I have M.E. and this means I cant do much/any exercise. I tested a Kalkhov pedal assisted bike yesterday and it involves far too much contribution from the rider. I then tested a bike (not sure of the brand) with a throttle and this was great - I basically can't use the pedals on a bike at all and just need to sit there with the throttle!

The helpful person in the shop said that to get around the throttle ban some makes allow optional extra throttle kits and one bike he reccommended was the "Oxygen S-Cross ST".

I was wondering if there are any other bikes that have this throtte kit that are reccommended?

Hi James
It's ridiculous that the current law allows a 17 year old to drive a vehicle capable of well over 100 miles per hour, but will not allow someone like you to use a 15 mph throttle on a bike, without pedalling, for when you need to do so.

Any of our bikes with throttles can be configured for countries where the law isn't so prescriptive. And all of them have been proven during the last eight years around the Peak District.

We may well have a stockist near you. Just visit our stockist map.

And our own shops in the Peak District have other brands too...

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Have you considered a moped? I accept they're heavier and more expensive to buy and run, but upon reading your needs it may be the better long term choice. Using throttle only will drain an ebike battery very quickly and you may well find its inadequate for hills. No matter what's said throttle only ebikes (legal ones) won't climb steep hills. Try one on a steep hill before buying.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi there,

Unfortunately James you have come up against the new EU regulations for EPAC's, your case highlights the discrimination against your fundamental rights.

The EU has just finalized the EU regulations on 16th October but will in early 2017 be reviewing 168/2013 and I suggest you contact the ME Association to fight your corner in an attempt to get the regulation changed. This applies to any other medical and non medical support group affected by this ridiculous ruling.

I am sure that BAGB would also like to help promote your case.

Fortunately the UK has stated that "used" bicycles can be retro fitted with a throttle and will be viewed as an EAPC in the eyes of the UK law.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that means while manufacturers are not allowed to plug in a full throttle, you are. Nothing has changed from the user's practical point.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
One thing I've wondered about:
After the UK has left the EU and we are free to make our own laws, do you think that the UK will make changes to its e-bike legislation and allow the use of 15mph throttles again?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you still can while we are in the EU. You can't use the full throttle while in Europe though.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
you still can while we are in the EU. You can't use the full throttle while in Europe though.
Do you think it is likely that the UK will make changes to its e-bike laws after we have left the EU? I'd like to think that the use of the full throttle will be allowed again.

On a side note, I voted for Brexit in the referendum and I'm glad I did so.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think it's likely. The whole world seems to move toward adopting standards developed by the EU, from Australia to China and other Asian countries. Brexit won't change that. We are going to import wholesale all EU directives into UK laws and continue doing so during any transitional period.

Unfortunately James you have come up against the new EU regulations for EPAC's, your case highlights the discrimination against your fundamental rights.
I don't understand this logic?

He's not being stopped buying anything. Its just the vehicle class of what he wants has changed. Now if he wants/needs a throttle, he can still buy one, its called a moped.

He's not being discriminated against at all, the policy is the same for everyone.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for the sake of completeness, it's a 'moped' if the manufacturer fits a full throttle to a bike and it's still a EAPC if the it's a converted bike or the customer adds a full throttle to the bike.

Limited throttle is legal.

So what happens when a bike has a throttle but not plugged in?

My interpretation is, if it's not plugged in, it's an EAPC. When the customer plugs in the throttle, he converts a bike and therefore enjoys official approval of owning 'a converted bike', legal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Throttles have never been illegal in the UK, nor are they illegal now.

They are allowed to be independent up to a speed of 6km/h and thereafter can be used to control the power as long as the pedals are turning.

For those that need a fully independent throttle, it's still allowed to fit one in the UK.

If independent throttles were not allowed in the UK, you could get round it by making a bike like this, where the motor turns the crank, in which case, the motor moves your legs as well as the bike. That way, you're always pedalling when the motor gives power and the power is stopped when you're not pedalling. Even a guy with false legs could pedal this bike. You can achieve the same dead easily by using a Cyclone motor without the free-wheeling crank:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes