Throttles why do they go bad so easily?

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
A sliver of waterproof grease on all 'open to the elements' areas of the throttle before installation is the way to go, silicon may harden and prevent rotational movement.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
So, you're saying that both the throttle and PAS work okay independently of each other, as long as you don't use them at the same time?
Ive never operated a throttle whilst peddling at the same time. After rain the throttle still work s perfectly when operated .However the PAS only works perfectly if the throttle is disconected from the bike.With it connected the PAS suffers a little cutting on off at low speeds.Replacement throttle did same thing after rain.Later I actually disconected this while out because of this.It poured, water got on the bare end of the bus lead pins. The result caused the PAS to fail entirely.Attempted to get home just using the re connected throttle.It also died completely .Took a couple weeks for PAS to work properly again.Despite throttles looking ok inside and water proofing them .One still doesnt work and the other still causes that minor issue.
Ive got a wuxing 108x throttle ordered.Im just curious why the y are still faulty after cleaning and water proofing

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I was suspecting a controller issue, but from your revised description I'm back to agreeing that the throttle is faulty.
Im just curious why the y are still faulty after cleaning and water proofing
Once the hall sensor inside the throttle is damaged, the damage cannot be undone. Any preventative work to the throttle has to be done before the damage occurs.

You have two choices
  1. Replace the faulty throttle;
  2. Repair the faulty throttle. As mentioned previously, the correct part number for replacement hall sensors is 49E.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I was suspecting a controller issue, but from your revised description I'm back to agreeing that the throttle is faulty.

Once the hall sensor inside the throttle is damaged, the damage cannot be undone. Any preventative work to the throttle has to be done before the damage occurs.

You have two choices
  1. Replace the faulty throttle;
  2. Repair the faulty throttle. As mentioned previously, the correct part number for replacement hall sensors is 49E.
Thanks daniel.You confirm what ive been wondering.Ie its the hall sensor inside them that s been damaged.

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
Nothing inside my thumb throttle except for a 3 terminal Hall sensor soldered to a three wire cable. These sensors are not hermetic, and were not intended to resist water. Popping them open and adding a dollop of silicon seal around the leads would help.

I believe you can just take out the one screw and see the sensor, without having to unsnap the whole body on the above style. I haven't been able to disassemble a twist throttle.
I've just swapped from one of these to a 108x by moving the sensor, cable and julet connector to the new throttle. As a side benefit I decreased the spring tension making it less tiring to hold fully open. I prefer the 108x as when used on the left appears like a gear shifter.

DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0061.JPG DSC_0070.JPG DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0061.JPG DSC_0070.JPG

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I've just swapped from one of these to a 108x by moving the sensor, cable and julet connector to the new throttle. As a side benefit I decreased the spring tension making it less tiring to hold fully open. I prefer the 108x as when used on the left appears like a gear shifter.

View attachment 23180 View attachment 23181 View attachment 23182 View attachment 23180 View attachment 23181 View attachment 23182
Greenbikekit in china sell the wuxing 108x with the bbs julet connector. Approx £ 9.50 inc postage 7-14 days delivery

Reactions: Wheel-E

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D

Deleted member 4366

Ive never operated a throttle whilst peddling at the same time. After rain the throttle still work s perfectly when operated .However the PAS only works perfectly if the throttle is disconected from the bike.With it connected the PAS suffers a little cutting on off at low speeds.Replacement throttle did same thing after rain.Later I actually disconected this while out because of this.It poured, water got on the bare end of the bus lead pins. The result caused the PAS to fail entirely.Attempted to get home just using the re connected throttle.It also died completely .Took a couple weeks for PAS to work properly again.Despite throttles looking ok inside and water proofing them .One still doesnt work and the other still causes that minor issue.
Ive got a wuxing 108x throttle ordered.Im just curious why the y are still faulty after cleaning and water proofing
More likely, you've pulled a cable-tie too tight on the throttle cable, which has caused an internal intermittent short.

Full-width throttles sometimes break inside, which knocks a magnet out or makes it over-run the stop. I've never seen that on a thumb or half-throttle.

Most problems I've dealt with have been simple things like the cable pulled too tight to break one of the thin wires inside or broken solder joint due to vibration. Despite having used my bikes in heavy rain many times, I've never had water in mine, and I've never actually seen water in anybody else's, though I can understand that it is a possibility.

I've also had to replace a few hall sensors after guys inadvertently connected one of the throttle wires to the LED wire, which carries battery voltage. That mistake often wipes out the controller too.

Last edited by a moderator: