time for a change, what's it worth

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Short story.
What's my 2014 Bosch powered Cube reaction with the active motor and a 400wh battery worth ?

Longer version.
Current bike is a 2014 Cube reaction / Bosch
I've done 4400 miles on the cube but recently I've been riding an ordinary bike for short trips and enjoying the feel of a lighter responsive bike.
Back on the cube, unpowered the weight and motor drag is now more noticeable, especially as i like to preserve the battery for better range by riding unpowered where possible.
As I'm using Eco more where previously I would be unpowered and I'm having to cut my old routes a little short, 35/40miles instead of 50/55.
Buying a 500 battery would improve my range but not the unpowered ride.
Then there's the newer Bosch active plus motor, its designed to be easier to ride unassisted ( an admission that earlier motors have internal drag) add a 500 battery and I'm tempted.

I'll need to sell my cube in order to move on, knowing what its worth is a good starting point.
Since this picture I've upgraded to a nexus 8 spd hub, painted motor cover black and swapped saddles/seat posts etc but I still have the original bits.
image.jpeg
its still a excellent bike in very good order but a new bike is always nice
Advice on what I should ask welcomed
Thanks in advance :cool:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think £650 is a fair price. It's in very good nick but out of guarantee.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Orbea Gain?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Thanks mr Woosh, I'd sort of figured £700 ish so I'm not disappointed by your estimate.

Orbea Gain?
Nice concept but sooner rather than later my bulging discs wood pop :(
Unfortunatel I have to fit high bars and a ncx seat-post on my bikes.
Going Dutch would probably work off the shelf but I'm not inspired style wise.
Now Cubes 2018 acid hybrid one 500 floats my boat :cool:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Now Cubes 2018 acid hybrid one 500 floats my boat :cool:
The more I look the more I want this Cube but I've found out the 3rd gen Bosch drive bikes won't be available untill Feb next year :(
on a plus note,
I work 2 miles away from Pitsford cycles who have recently joined Rutland cycles and are now a Cube dealer :cool::)

? Dose Rutland have a voice on this forum ? My current bike came from Leasurelakes but I never see there name mentioned.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If it was me I'd hold onto the Nexus IGH as will probably not make much different to resale price.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
it was me I'd hold onto the Nexus IGH as will probably not make much different to resale price.
With my limited knowledge, I don't think that Cube put IHG on bikes with an off road bias, IHG are mostly found on town, commuter and touring bikes.

monkeyra

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2017
GB
The more I look the more I want this Cube but I've found out the 3rd gen Bosch drive bikes won't be available untill Feb next year :(
on a plus note,
I work 2 miles away from Pitsford cycles who have recently joined Rutland cycles and are now a Cube dealer :cool::)

? Dose Rutland have a voice on this forum ? My current bike came from Leasurelakes but I never see there name mentioned.
Did you buy one in the end? The Cube Acid Hybrid 500 is what i'm thinking of purchasing at the moment. The only thing I'm slightly uncertain is if the new active plus bosch motor is any good off road. Bosch seem to market it towards more the commuter, but Cube have whacked it on a mountain bike. For an extra £500 I could upgrade to the Cube Reaction and have the Bosch performance CX motor. Decisions decisions.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Did you buy one in the end? The Cube Acid Hybrid 500 is what i'm thinking of purchasing at the moment. The only thing I'm slightly uncertain is if the new active plus bosch motor is any good off road. Bosch seem to market it towards more the commuter, but Cube have whacked it on a mountain bike. For an extra £500 I could upgrade to the Cube Reaction and have the Bosch performance CX motor. Decisions decisions.
I sure did buy one and I don't regret it one bit:cool:
It arrived just a few weeks ago, I've covered 130 miles so far and loving it :)
Easy to ride motor off and with the motor on there's a smooth transition comming off power at cut off speed (without the internal drag of the CX motor :oops:), speaking of which, yesterday I rode 20 miles with a mate on his CX powered FS cube (mostly dirt tracks) and I'd say the two bikes were well matched, it may be a different story if we were climbing a proper mountain trail but the nearest mountain to me is over 100 miles away :eek:
The one big noticeable difference between the CX and new active line plus (alp) motor is the noise, the alp is virtually silent so the whine from the CX is noticeably loud :rolleyes:
I don't see the CX as an upgrade over the new alp motor, there just different, it's a bit like comparing 27.5" and 29" tyres :confused:
Anywho this is what I'd posted prior to yesterday's ride ;)
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-acid-one-500.31519/

Reactions: monkeyra

Related Articles

Advertisers