Tinging sound coming from somewhere!

madmartiganshair

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2018
UK
Hi,

I took my bike into the local ebike shop yesterday as it's making a 'Tinging/Pinging' sound from somewhere - i initially thought it was the back wheel, but on my commute home I now think it's the front wheel.

The guy in the shop said he couldn't find anything wrong, he even took it out for a spin himself and said he couldn't hear anything. It's 100% there, more present at speed and when there is pressure put on the front fork/wheel.

Any ideas anyone?

tia

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, spokes are the first suspect for this noise, "ringing" against each other where they cross.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Like what he said :) I had the same prob, I tried one drop on each nipple where it goes into the rim, as that didn't work for me I tried one drip at the other end, each spoke hole in the hub, that did the trick :cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Could be spoke tensioning, squeeze each pair of spokes together by hand to de-stress them. Sometimes you can here them when stressed.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
As above, check the spokes - lube them, get a spoke spanner - give them all a very slight tighten, check the headset and stem bolts for correct torque, if you have discs brakes - check the rotors for being flat and no stones trapped in pads.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just to clarify, a tingy creak or creaky ting is the spokes. If it just goes ting, ting, ting, it's probably the disc out of true and touching a pad at one point on its rotation. Spokes don't creak when you spin the wheel in the air, but discs normally still make their noise.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
clean and lube the head set bearings i even bought new ones and still had a noise and it turned out to be dirt in the crown race cleaned that and my noise was gone.

Related Articles

Advertisers