To build or not to build ?

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Hi all, Need a bit of advice of what to do here ?, Plan was to build a e bike with a little extra, not a speed machine just a little more if i need it....

most of my 5mile to work ride is light track (of road) nothing heavy hence the need for that little bit extra...

I have bought this bike with the intention of new motor,controller, and lipo set up 12s2p, The bike was bought as spares or repair and is like new came with key's,charger,manual etc..

The bike used to be a funky crank controller set up pedlec thing (bad idea!!!) anyway i was aware this was never going to be in a operative stat when i bought it, But that wasn't an issue due to my plans....

Anyway the plan was to lipo up the NIMH casing and go from there with the other bit's, while waiting for bits and gathering info on this fantastic forum (thanks all for the info) thought i'd bring it alive at it's currunt stat with a new controller (cheap ebay) new wiring in places and throttle etc (no ped)...

Fired her up and WOW It's a fantastic little bike as it is, even for a 24v brushed 180w motor, Oh dear??..... I was so intent on ripping this up a doing a build but.........but.........I don't know what to do now, it's just tooo good as it is???..

Ok it's a great bike as it is but for me was looking for that little bit extra as i said........This is quick and quite torqee, but not the quick and torqee that i want for my work route...

1, So my options are, sell it ? idealy to someone who knows e bikes, due to some new arangments, controller, funky wiring in places etc..

2, Stick to the original plane and pull it apart (but is it suitable......really?)

3, keep it as a runner and start over with a new standard bike with the bike i'm going to order...

ps, lipo's and charger and bit's and bobs lvc's hxt's etc on there way, motor still to be ordered but will most proberly will be the BPM, if i sell one of my heli's in the mean time i may push to the MAC....

What would you do with it?? Thankyou all in advance :D

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks not bad. You should try it a bit first to see if you like the bike. If it doesn't fit you, it might be better to sell it and start another project. Is it definitely nihms and brushed motor? The pedal sensor looks like one of those torque sensing ones. You're going to need a new battery if you really want to improve it. For about £500, you could get a BPM kit and 36v 15aH battery mounted on the rack. That'll do everything you want.
You can still use a normal pedal sensor if you want. I think your existing one might work with the kit as well.

Alternatively, you could try a 36v battery and new 20amp brushed controller. the motor looks strong enough.

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
Wait a while and see how it handles the wet weather,my bike gets so fithy i need to wash it down every 4 days because the chain and gears slip lucky old me has got a wetroom/shower,
the bike looks great but pristine,

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Looks not bad. You should try it a bit first to see if you like the bike. If it doesn't fit you, it might be better to sell it and start another project. Is it definitely nihms and brushed motor? The pedal sensor looks like one of those torque sensing ones. You're going to need a new battery if you really want to improve it. For about £500, you could get a BPM kit and 36v 15aH battery mounted on the rack. That'll do everything you want.
You can still use a normal pedal sensor if you want. I think your existing one might work with the kit as well.

Alternatively, you could try a 36v battery and new 20amp brushed controller. the motor looks strong enough.
Thanks D8veh, Love some of those projects you have done, Fantastic stuff mate.....Your spot on with the torque sensing crank take that cover off and there are some springs under there, which tbh is the problem with upgrading this bike it's so unique your kinda limited of what you can do in that area...

The battery is Nimh as the charger is labeled up with, also looking in there is a temp sensoring prob which talks to the charger, The brushed motor has two wires in....

Going to try it to work tommorrow, see how it fit's and test the battery range too, But at the minute i think it's going to be sold, it's just not standard enough for me to play with ie fitting a new front chain wheel......

yselmike, i'll do my best tommorrow to crud it up for ya !!

D

Deleted member 4366

Fitting a new chainwheel is normally a 5 min job, you can get them on ebay for just a few pounds, so don't let that put you off. Whatever bike you get, there's a fair chance that you'll need to change the' chainwheel to get comfortable gearing.

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
The chainwheel is welded to the crank before the the square and thread on the crank for the pedal arm to fit on, hence my sale.....

Could just fit a single 54 and arm over the square crank and leave the original chain wheel in place, but i think it will be too far out, would have to check...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could you just bolt a five arm 54 chainring against the existing chainwheel as A to B did on this other bike?

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
The arm comes off seperatly..

The chainring and crank complete with internal controller is one piece and works as a complete unit (i have a spare one too)....

Flecc his hit the nail on the head, that would be the ideal way, it's just finding one to fit the exsiting wholes or drilling and bolting one on......Thanks.

it all depends on the ride to work now to see how i get on, think i'm better off selling sooner rather than later, as it's in new condition, so i'll make a decission tommorrow after the ride... Thanks again all, anymore idea's let me no....

just one more thing, as i'm after more power, scrap the lipo idea and just re-cell the nimh pack with stronger more powerfull cells, atm they are 1.1v 9ah cells in there, do they do 2.2v ones to gain the 48v i need ???

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, NiMh cells are all nominally 1.2 volts. They can be fully charged to read 1.54 volts off-load, but not beyond without damaging them. 1.05 volts is the minimum they should be discharged to in order to prevent damage.

High capacity sub-C cells are available which might just allow enough in the case for a higher voltage. They've been used on various e-bikes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Is the bttom bracket of the frame any different to a normal one? Can you get fit a normal BB spindle and bearing assembly that costs about a tenner and fit it? Then you could fit a normal chain-wheel.

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
:cool:, I'll look into them, other than that my lipo's are on the way anyway so looking to utilize that area with some "pahaps" drain pipe enclosure, we'll see what happens when they arrive, If i still have the bike :D

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Is the bttom bracket of the frame any different to a normal one? Can you get fit a normal BB spindle and bearing assembly that costs about a tenner and fit it? Then you could fit a normal chain-wheel.
No, It's a huge hole assembly that's why it's so unique for the whole unit to fit in, Without fabricating a whole new bracket, there is no way to fit a standard crank unfortunatly, bit of a bummer really, it would be ideal without it......

Edit: I'll get a picture of the whole assembly of the spare i have..........

As you can tell from the end thread (it's now U/s) where iv'e try'ed to get the spindle out (to see if a standard one would fit) It doesn't , I did succeed removale but completly fubar'ed the whole unit as it's all machine pressed together....

Last edited:

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Took the bike to work today 5mile each way, Was a comfotable ride tbh, I liked it :D although the nimh pack was tired after the first 2 miles just lost it's torguey ness and then managed to limp me in....

Don't like the torgue set up tho, feels like i have a loose chainring arm when applying preasure....felt normal on the way back though ? will have to sort that when i fit a new ring....

Had my lipo's delivered today, wahooo :D:D couldn't of come at a better time with the tired old nimh pack, Tested the packs and all reading 3.84/85 so happy with that....
May take the cells out tonight and see if the lipo's fit in the nimh casesing, was supprissed to have no extra cost from customs, or will that come later???.....

one other thing, bit paraniod with my lipo's in the house :confused:, but don't want to put them in the garage where it is cold ?, stupid question really but where is the best place to store them ? (my charger has not arrived yet) have heard of people putting them in the freezer, is this right??

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't put them in the freezer. I think some people put them in the fridge for very long term storage. They should be OK in the garage unless we get another very cold snap. You won't get charged for duty now. I've only been charged by DHL and Fedex.

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Got some drain pipe today and had a little play for an hour, Fantastic fit couldn't be any better....

can go for 24v 10ah or 48v 5ah, not bad for £72 battery..This is just a proto at the moment, this will fit into the original hanger and fixings so will be solid, and i have a great idea for a handle too, so it will be the exact same as the original battery except the terminals...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Some nice improvisation. My only concern would be keeping it waterproof.

Regards

Jerry

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, and exposing the JST connectors to the elements is not a good idea, nicely done though. Perhaps you could make some sort of clear plastic cover to give them a bit of protection.

Last edited:

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Alot of work is still needed just testing for fitment..

Agree it's looking very vunerable atm, planning on running some jst extentions to the top and enclose with the handle set up, love the idea of some clear plastic could incorparate that into the top section, Thanks

Basicly, the unit will be 100% weather proof and removable with ease, Now i know everything is safe and secure and fit's and cells are accessable with not to much grief, I feel it's going to be a nice versitile (abilty to add in the future) unit. I'll keep you posted of the finished pack....