To Kit Or To Woosh?

ebikenewb

Pedelecer
May 28, 2014
Brentwood, London, United Kingdom

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810737_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

-------
Please bear in mind that I will be commuting 26 miles daily, 25 years old, 175cm height and weigh 75 kilograms.
--------------
Alright guys....Im thinking to make my decision tonight, to stop me from wasting my own time lol, I keep thinking about whether to get that or to get this or to get that etc. and Im wasting your time also by keep having to ask questions! lol so final question tonight..I hope you all can help me in making my final decision.

RIght, this carerra bike costs £210 as there is an offer at halfords £20 off.

So, I was thinking to get this bike and add this kit to it since I have heard good things about GBK:
http://www.greenbikekit.com/36v-250w-gbk-100f-front-driving-e-bike-kit-with-bottle-battery.html

with the option of having the 36V 10AH Samsung Battery and LCD so I can derestrict heheh.

so:
carerra bike : £210
GBK Kit: £390
Total: £600

OR

To Compete with the battery of the Woosh, these two:

http://www.greenbikekit.com/36v-250w-gbk-100f-electric-bike-kit.html
and
http://www.greenbikekit.com/36v-15ah-li-ion-rear-rack-battery.html

=
Carerra: £210
GBK Kit: £390
Total £600

OR

Just get the big bear from Woosh at £809
bearing in mind that the big bear has more torque (which is fine with me)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
kit.
you get the look, the tweak, and cheaper too
I am sorry to say, Woosh bikes don't look right on young people.

Reactions: oldtom

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I would go kit, but then I enjoy building stuff.

I think that's what I comes down to in the end: Would you enjoy the process, or would it be a chore?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The sport has no throttle and I intend to use throttle only mode sometimes
Pah, young guy like you - get out there and pedal.

Reactions: Artstu

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Please bear in mind that I will be commuting 26 miles daily, 25 years old, 175cm height and weigh 75 kilograms.​
Well, I have to say if I were 25 years young, weighed 75Kgs and had a round trip of 26 miles each working day, I'd be buying a nice, really lightweight, manually-powered, road bike for the job.

If I were only a fair weather cyclist, I'd probably use a light motorcycle, scooter or car for inclement conditions but hey!.....each to his own.

Tom

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The Big Bear is a BPM, which is very high tourqe. Don't know what's in that kit, bit I'm guessing an SWX of some sort.

That being the case, the Big Bear will have a lot more tourqe.

But you are young, and weigh about the same as my freshly laundered underpants so its probably not an issue for you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
build your kit.
You'll save some money but also the blast you get to see your own job done the way you want is very addictive, I bet you can't wait to start another project soon afterwards.
I would start with an easy kit like the BBS01 on a second hand bike first though.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it depends of course how much you spend on the donor bike. The good thing abbout the BBS01 is it's easiest to learn the ropes. Typically, building from kits can get bogged down by tiny details:
1. if you have a quick release front wheel which is often the case on lots of good bikes, the hole on the lower legs is too small to accept the motor axle, you have to enlarge them to 10.5mm and without the right size file, it's easy to make a pig's ear of this simple job.
2. frame spreading: often, your frame has 130mm rear dropout, the rear hub motors come in 135mm - you have to spread the frame to make it fit
3. disc brakes don't fit with the new motor
4. no space to install the pedelec sensor (often the case with isis/hollowtech BB)
5. controller housing at the bottom of the bottle battery: tiny space available for your wires is a real challenge
The BBS01 costs about £100 more but it is neat, tidy, easy to install and un-install when you get yourself a better bike, with hydraulic brakes and nice fork for example.

so don't knock it when you start

Last edited:

ebikenewb

Pedelecer
May 28, 2014
Brentwood, London, United Kingdom
you are right, but tbh, i am not willing to spend more than £800 as I said earlier. I used to spend £200 AT MOST for a bicycle, and given the nature of bicycle plus motor costs, I am willing to spend at most 800, as others are from £650 onwards, I reckon 800 is average compared to other bikes in the category. As I said earlier, I would love to just get a mechanical one where I wouldn't need the help, but I have no shower at work and I will be on my feet all day, so it only makes sense for me to get an ebike, which suits the 26mile commute. on the way back I wont be using pedal assist, so I can get the workout also (im not the lazy type)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I'd say about 10–15mph* and then a pedelec should up it nearer or above 15mph.

*All depending on bike type, tires, pressures, prevailing wind, hills, terrain (urban / rural) traffic light timings, traffic etc...

Reactions: Artstu