Tongsheng TSDZ2 dies

Chipskisby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2018
Hi!
Read this thread, and thought I had the same problem. But nowadays my display turns off the second I turn it on (and not just when pedalling). http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/tsdz2-problem-display-switches-off-when-i-start-pedalling.30187/

At first I could ride it for maybe 15min before it died. Sometimes I can make it go for a while by fiddling with something. Charging the battery, unplugging and replugging some connections or so. But I cant see any pattern.

The battery has been examined by a pro, and I have changed the connections between battery and controller. Cant find any corossion or broken connections.

PSW (where I bought it) suggests it might be the controller or display. Any ideas?

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
You should have the display and the little remote controller? The power button on the display might be failing so try switching it on by the remote?

If you have a hand throttle, unplug it.

Has this motor ever worked correctly?

Chipskisby

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks for the input, Douglas! Cant find any difference between the remote and display. No throttle.

Yeah, the motor has worked just fine for more than half a year and around a 1000 km.

You should have the display and the little remote controller? The power button on the display might be failing so try switching it on by the remote?

Thanks fir

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
I had a BMS that failed in the same way but I caught it before I completed the battery. I was discharging the battery into a “150 watt constant current electronic load 10 amp” and it was relatively easy to catch it. Aliexpress sell them for £20 and they’re pretty useful.

You can’t attach a DVM to the output from the battery before it goes into the motor - sometimes you can just slip the probes into the blue connector - which might tell you if the battery/BMS is failing?

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
Probably your battery expert has looked at the BMS? There is one other very similar error I had which also caused the whole lot to shut down was an overload on the 6v bike light extension. Your motor might have the additional cable that plugs into the speed sensor? The 6v supply will not tolerate a current over 0.8amp or So. If the open ends are shorted, it’ll shut down immediately. You can remove the speed sensor with the extension to test.

I’ve found PSW to be rather awkward about faulty components in the past; it takes them a long time to admit the fault is a component they supplied.

Failing all that, the controller is quite cheap to replace.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Probably your battery expert has looked at the BMS? There is one other very similar error I had which also caused the whole lot to shut down was an overload on the 6v bike light extension. Your motor might have the additional cable that plugs into the speed sensor? The 6v supply will not tolerate a current over 0.8amp or So. If the open ends are shorted, it’ll shut down immediately. You can remove the speed sensor with the extension to test.

I’ve found PSW to be rather awkward about faulty components in the past; it takes them a long time to admit the fault is a component they supplied.

Got to Agree about PSW Took me about four months to get a display changed that was faulty(in that it didn't work) from delivery.

Chipskisby

Jun 11, 2018

Maybe that should be checked. The lights are dynamo powered but that means that the connection where a light can be attached is open. But now the bike has been in the celler for a couple of months, so I cant see how that can cause a problem. How do you mean I can check it by disconnecting the speed sensor?

Have now received a new display as well as a controller, after paying usd 45 incl shipping. The new display did not change a thing so I will go on changing the controller. Anything in particular I should think about while doing so? Looks like the whole motor, chainring etc needs to be removed, right?

Chipskisby

Jun 11, 2018
So now I have tried replacing both the controller and the display. After changing the controller the display was on for maybe a minute, then died and now it wont start. Perhaps it is shorted somewhere after all...

Since I use a dynamo, one of the two connectors on the speedometer is left in the open. Can that cause a problem under ideal conditions in the workshop?

I use Wago 221 for connecting the battery. Any trouble with that, as far as you can tell?

Attachments