Tongsheng TSDZ2 with torque sensor - Equivalent to Bosch or Kalkhoff Impulse/Evo?

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Hi,

Has anybody tried the Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-drive motor (in either 250 or 350w)?

Like the branded crank-drive equivalents from Kalkhoff, Panasonic, Bosch etc, it seems to have a torque sensor built-in, quite a lot of torque and a nice display. Complete kit (excluding battery) seems to quite cheap too, at £350.

See http://ebike-sales.co.uk/product/tongsheng-tsdz2-250w-36v-mid-drive-conversion-kit

Seems to be better than the Bafang kits, that only have cadence sensors...

Are there any other kits that have torque and also ideally cadence sensors?

T.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Reactions: Tomtomato

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
I have got one. Currently evaluating it. As mentioned on the other thread I'm having some intermittent problems probably battery related.

I am not that convinced that the controller is making the best use of the torque sensor with the current software and people have mentioned that the latest version has ironed out the problems. The other main concern I have is the resistance while pedalling unassisted. It does seem to have loosened up but I need to take the chain off and see if the cranks spin more freely as I may have just got used to it. Only using it at the weekends so I've not had time to come to a conclusion on it. Build quality seems good.

Reactions: Tomtomato

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
How are you getting on with this motor?, the torque sensing sounds exactly what I want.

Had my mind set on a BBS system but this system is swaying me somewhat..

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi tom I have had the moter a while and just fitted this to a Carrera subway one.
bought moter from ebc , battery is 10.4ah yosepower bottle battery.
while searching for info found the previous thread by david swp.
I have now done 103 miles, i have set amps to 12 rather than default 16.

yesterday did a fairly hilly ride 25miles used sport mode for a realy steep bit
but found as davidswp has said , i stopped today at the supermarket.
when i started to ride again it was hard and i realised i was not getting any assist at all.

turned battery off then on again it seemed to then be ok ,
this no pas has caught me out a couple of times as i thought battery might be too flat but had plenty of go using throttle.

i am getting very good range however using garmin 200 to register miles travelled and wired cycle computer get between 40-45 mile range from new 10.4 battery.

fitting the kit i had to reroute gear cable there is no space if yours runs under bottom bracket, also lcd rubber spacers for handle bars did notb suite mine.
i find the moter silent ,it does not run hot and bike corners ok

the only bugbear is no pas assistance sometimes after stopping?
for a while,
not sure what the glitch is related too
forgot to mention on mine chainline is not perfect can get 5 out of 8 gears, its ok to ride without power on flat
DSCF1556.JPG DSCF1557.JPG

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Doesn't sound like the exact same problem as mine. With mine the battery sometimes turns itself off while riding and sometimes it won't turn back on for several minutes. Then after it comes back on the pedal assist is sometimes weak/non-existent. I don't have a throttle. I've just been putting up with it, fortunately its never happened on an up-hill stretch. It seems to happen while coasting for some reason.

My chain line is almost perfect. I swapped the front chain-ring for a flat 46 tooth one and with a Nexus-8 on the back the line is perfectly straight. I also get good range on the mid-levels of assist. I did 25 miles and it didn't drop one bar. Turbo mode eats the battery though.

Another positive is that the pedals seem to have loosened up considerably and I can't notice any drag now, so the lower/mid-range assist modes are pretty good now.

auto-ebike.com

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2016
China
TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor. Power: 350W. Voltage:36V
Feature:
1. Easy assembling;
2. Maximum Torque: 80N.M;
3. Built-in Controller and both side torque sensor;
4. Weight: 3.6Kg;
5. LCD Display.
6. Power: 350W;
7. Power Assistant Ratio: 36%~300%;
8. Limited Speed: 25Km/h;
9. Chainwheel: 42T;
10. High efficiency, low battery power consumption, safety long riding.
It fits all 36V battery packs.
ps: with coaster brake

Birger Bulukin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 5, 2016
Nittedal, Norway
The Tonsheng/Zito/MXUS motors with torque sensors seems to be the same motor (made by Tonsheng).
My Zito has the peculiarity that if I am to quick in start up after having pushed the ON button, the controller hasn't finishen its start up procedure, thus blocking normal functionality.
Leaving the bike alone a couple of seconds after pushing the button has completely solved this problem.
Regards Birger

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
The Tonsheng/Zito/MXUS motors with torque sensors seems to be the same motor (made by Tonsheng).
My Zito has the peculiarity that if I am to quick in start up after having pushed the ON button, the controller hasn't finishen its start up procedure, thus blocking normal functionality.
Leaving the bike alone a couple of seconds after pushing the button has completely solved this problem.
Regards Birger
It probably goes through a calibration of the torque sensor on startup.

squirrelpie0

Just Joined
Dec 16, 2016
Rainy River, ON, Canada
It probably goes through a calibration of the torque sensor on startup.
There is a fairly extensive thread on this unit on endlesssphere site. But unresolved reports on mechanical durability. Some very good results, others poor and poor customer support out of china. One dealer in Calgary, Alberta that has parts and warranty reported good results with unit but he will only supply in person. Will not ship.

Re the calibration, even resting one foot on the pedal when turning on can cause the prob.

Would like to go with Bafang Bax Comfis unit but have not been able to source it in NA yet and also looking for a parts breakdown for it as well as the Yamaha mid mount so I can look at the guts. Anyone have a link.

Interested in mounting on trike.

BBXX units are reliable here but illegal in Canada where we are limited to 500W units. That would limit me to a BBXX wit 36V battery where would like to go 48 or 52.