Tongsheng TSDZ2. Your experiences.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
glad you got sorted whiteturbo re the faulty lcd.

I don't seem to get anywhere near the same range as others 17ah about 35 miles sport mode/250w 16 amps not hilly.

have lowered amps to 14 to see if range is any better

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hey Footpump, About the range you are getting, lowering the amps wont make a blind bit of difference because the motor will always take what it needs unlike Bafang which will restrict the amps, but i dont think that is what is causing your problem. you say your in sport mode which is the second highest setting, so its like a tap off = no water, eco = drip drip,Tour = slow steady flow, Sport = fast steady flow, Turbo = tap full open. So you are riding around with the tap on fast steady flow. What you need to do is to put it in the lowest that you need, so if you are going downhill turn it to off, on the straight put it on eco, mild slope tour, going up a hill sport, long or steep hill turbo.
You need to keep adjusting it all the time to suit the conditions, its a waste keeping in sport when you are going downhill or on the flat, just like your gears you need to be in the right setting for the conditions, you wouldn't keep in the little gear going up big hills would you? and you wouldn't be in the big gear going down hills. Its the same with the motor settings you have to change according to the road. Sorry if i'm trying to teach grandma to suck eggs but it does make a big difference to your economy.

sandyman44

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2017
milton keynes
whiteturbo - interesting you say all that, I've ridden the same two motors as well and reached the opposite conclusion!

I've just built TSDZ2 onto my dahon folder. I was previously riding a borrowed whoosh dutch style bike (heavy) with a BBS01. I particularly disliked the lag on power delivery when start pedalling, the power overrun on pedal stop (unless blip cutoff brake) and the nasty gear shifting (crunch unless you carefully take power off way before shift).

the TSDZ2 is way better - power up and power down near instantaneous with pedal pressure on/off. so approaching junctions I am no longer crapping myself that the motor will push me out when I don't want it to. cutoff brakes are not needed so you can use high spec brakes + levers rather than the nasty chinese lever things or having to invent a cutoff - I have maguras. I can flick shift at speed to keep cadence right exactly the same as I would on a non-electric road bike, up or down (just with that tiny instinctive ease off). It does feel to me (as others have said) like a normal bike but with bionic legs.

I have mine on 16 amps and have suitably upped the limiter so that its not in play. On a flat cycle path it cruises at 22mph in turbo with minimal effort , certainly well below the "sweaty barrier". (keeping in high gear to keep the torque up). I use the lower power modes in town to keep under 15mph.
I did order the version with the throttle because I was worried I might need the throttle to be able to use it in "moped mode" but I've taken it off the bike again, its not needed (unless you're perhaps you were weak enough to not apply any significant pedal torque). it was useful for testing it whilst building though.

Iike others I'm getting much better fuel economy with this compared to the bafang. with max assist mode on both motors and the same largely flat and fast route, I used to use around 8ah for 12 miles on the bafang. using about 4ah for the same on the tongsheng (albeit on a nimbler bike).

my only dislike is the VLCD5 display and mount is a bit big and was awkward to find a home for on the folder's cockpit. the grip one would have been worse though.

however in short I'm well happy with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Turbnics

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
whiteturbo at 69 I find sport suits me the best , I just stop peddling if going downhill, and coast ,echo and tour no good for my legs.
its range of 30 10ah summertime vs 35 for 17ah which niggles me.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Sandyman44 i dont know how you can come to the opposite conclusion to me because i have not yet come to a conclusion, infact i said as much. I have never had any problems changing gear on on either of my Bafang equipped bikes, Maybe its a technique thing, but right from the start i just shifted as normal if i had had any problems i would have invested in that gear changing device but i never had the need, i dont get any lag or overrun, i did invest fairly early in the programming lead so maybe that helped but i certainly haven't experienced the problems you have, I have Avid BB7's on one of my bikes and they work fine with the supplies brake levers, mine are black and are fine especially as i have big hands as they are a bit on the large size(the levers that is) My biggest moan with the Bafangs are tidying up all the leads, the TSDZ2 has definitely won on that front. The Display on the bafangs are a lot better, I have the colour version and it gives so much more information like volts as opposed to black bars and how much power i am using at any point but i am hopeful that Tongseng will develop a better display. Also i find you have to be in the right gear and the right mode setting, for example when i approach a junction i automatically drop into a low gear and also drop the mode usually to 1 but sometimes 2 but that also applies to the Tongsheng if you want the economy. The TSDZ2 seems to be quite a bit more frugal with power and i'm expecting at least a 25% increase in range from it. I dont have throttles on my bicycles, i hold a full motor bike licence and if i want a throttle i would buy a motor bike. My pelvis is held together with titanium plates so i sometimes appreciate not having to pedal too hard with the Bafangs but i did find it hard in the beginning keeping the bafang in the sweet spot, that does seems a lot easier with the TSDZ2 or maybe i am benefiting from my experience with the bafang because i did expect it to just go when you pedal and its not quite that simple. The TSDZ2 is definitely more physically demanding , Not yet sure if that is a good or bad thing, but my pelvis will tell me if i push it too hard so thats another thing that only time will tell. I expect my TSDZ2 to fit right in to my stable of bikes but as to which is better i will reserve judgement until i have spent more time with it.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Footpump Mate i'm the same age as you nearly, born 1949 and have a pelvis held together with several titanium plates. I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with leaving it in the sport setting especially if you are comfortable with it, only that you wont get the best economy that way.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I'm interested in a TSDZ2 from PSWpower. Considering the 500W 48V kit with display and throttle. Can the kit switch between 36V and 48V easily or is there a low voltage cutoff set with 48V? Will it run on 52V ? I have all three batteries and I like it when I can use whatever happens to be charged.

I'm really quite comfortable with cadence sensors on my bikes, and have a BBS02 along with several rear hub motors. I rarely go over 20 mph either. Pedal assist is how I ride, but I feel a throttle has its uses.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hi harrys, welcome to the forum!
I bought mine(350w with throttle and brakes) and i had nothing but problems, all with the display. PSWPower sorted it eventually but it took 4 1/2 months and cost me postage to send the defective part back and they then charged me postage to send the replacement part, but they sent the wrong part. As you can imagine i was not pleased and refused to pay anymore and eventually got the right part and everything is now Hunky Dory.
My advice for what its worth is forget the throttle , the throttled version uses a larger plug 8 pin instead of 6 pin which means you cant change the lcd screen for the smaller XH18 if you want it more stealthy at a later date. Plus the 8 pin normal displays are hard to obtain as they are not standard.
I doubt you will have the same problems i had and everything will most likely be fine. But to make sure i would pay a little extra and buy local.

There is a guy on Endless Sphere site in the TSDZ2 thread(its huge) called eyebyesickle who seems to be a dealer who has a good rep for customer service and from what i can see his prices are comparable to the Chinese prices. Bye the way i dont know the guy or have any association with him i have just read most of that thread and he seems genuine.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Thanks for the report, WT. After looking at the last four pages of that endless sphere thread (I had read the beginning some time ago), I said, "Good grief. It's still all about stuff breaking!"

The throttle/48V/500W had tempted me, but reliabilty issues sure killed my interest in another mid drive.

Weldinpatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2018
Pashley Sovereign 5speed wide ratio sturmey archer rear hub 24t , front is std 42t thumb throttle option fitted works well with a little pedalling to assist up gradients . Works well if throttle ignored and on pedal assist alone . Brilliant hill climbing ability , easier and faster than my Bosch cx 250w. Both need the pedals to be rotated in order to work. I would say the Bosch is more refined but TsDz2 is more powerful. TsDz2 can be programmed with open resource firm and soft ware up dates available the Bosch can’t and is done only with permission from Bosch. Range is very personal and data from others may differ to your own as many variables come to play. Speed , mode , load, local terrain, battery size, your style etc. Gear changing of all gearbox types used on cycles IGH or derailleur requires fineness, back off on the pedals feel it be sensitive. Gear crunchers and blue cog strippers tend to be one and the same , clumsy tool breakers. Chain line is perfect and I think a single rear sprocket with internal gears is by far best choice because the chain line remains constant and in alignment. Gears 2,3,4 on my 5speed are the exact same ratios as gears 1,2,3 on the stronger 3speed hub. The torque band is well wide and though you might prefer derailleurs I say the ideal transmission for the TsDz2 is the 3speed Sturmey Archer hub gear system.
I had a heart attack and with the motor turned off I am incapable of riding But in 2nd gear on turbo assist level I scale snowdonia. I am very pleased with the price as this package packs a real punch.

Weldinpatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2018
I'm interested in a TSDZ2 from PSWpower. Considering the 500W 48V kit with display and throttle. Can the kit switch between 36V and 48V easily or is there a low voltage cutoff set with 48V? Will it run on 52V ? I have all three batteries and I like it when I can use whatever happens to be charged.

I'm really quite comfortable with cadence sensors on my bikes, and have a BBS02 along with several rear hub motors. I rarely go over 20 mph either. Pedal assist is how I ride, but I feel a throttle has its uses.
Open resources reprogramming firm ware developed for those who want to alter aspects of their systems deals with voltage changing. Never.done it myself but loads on google about it BAFANG colour screens can replace black and white and introduce more functions too.

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford

PSW offer a DDP service (delivery duty paid) which avoids paying approximately £40 to the Post Office. Most of the other sellers seem to offer the same but in practice don‘t. Before the virus, the price for an 8 pin 48v 750w motor with throttle was £250 from PSW, now £270.

To have the flexibility of fitting almost any battery you need the open source firmware. The voltage limit is set by the motor controller’s 68v input capacitor; a 15S battery is currently driving a 36v motor but that is a needless risk.

The throttle versions are all 8 pin. That and the 6 pin versions describe the number of conductors in the control cable to the display. I never found the throttle useful except that there’ll come a day when I’ve injured myself and getting home might be easier with one. One big advantage of the OSF is fitting a temperature controller which uses the throttle ADC and that is much easier to do with the 8 pin versions.

The latest software using a Bafang type display is very good. The torque sensor is now calibrated and I think the movement is much smoother than a Bosch motor of which I have experience. I have none of a Bafang motor. I wanted a motor to encourage exercise and thought the Bafang too close to a moped.

Reliability has been difficult this last year. Almost 100% due to moisture getting into the motor controller. This has been a very wet year. I’m hoping that fitting the temperature controller will improve things because it involves removing the motor controller and re-potting it but doing it rather more carefully than the Chinese. The OSF has also eradicated what was the Achilles heel of the motor, the frequent ’blue gear’ failures; since using the OSF I haven’t broken one. It is all to do with how it senses the torque and ramps the motor.

frogeye61

Just Joined
May 11, 2020
Hi, first post.

I live in Denmark and have recently purchased a TDSZ2 with VLCD5 display from elifebike2010 on ebay out of Germany. Everything seems fine and went straight on the bike, except I have a Christania cykel, 3 wheel cargo cycle so I had to modify the frame slightly, which I expected and finished very well. I thought it was hacking a bit at low speed, so I installed three magnets on the rear wheel and set-up the controller to accept three magnets. It worked fine, smoother at low speeds (it is after all a cargo bike), but the speed limiter (set at 15 kmh) would then stop auxiliary power at 5 kmh. I set the limit to 45 kmh and the auxiliary power then limited at 15 kmh. I could live with that.

Anyway, my daughter has been riding the cykel for maybe 40-50 km and it's been working very well until: gradually (quickly) the motor started acting up, doing things it shouldn't do, like driving itself when stopped, power surging, limiting speed to 2 kmh etc. This went on for a day or two then suddenly pretty much everything stopped working properly.

Mostly small things; speed indicator and odometer indicator went to mph from kmh, odo reads 9999, speed doesn't register at all while in motion. The big thing is motor assist works - though only up to around 2 kmh.

But the big problem!
If I push the "I" button, the control panel bricks and I have to disconnect battery supply to do anything, but even still the power assist works - to 2 kmh.

When I first turn the power on, the power settings work and I can turn the display off by pushing the power button for 3 seconds. though after I push the "I" button, nothing works, changing power setting or change view (odo, trip time, avg speed), and can't turn the display off. It just stays where it was when I pushed the "I" button.

I can't go into setup mode because that requires the "I" button. I can't figure a way out of this scenario. Can anybody give suggestions other than going to open source software?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I sincerely hope someone can help, or at least direct me to where I can get help.

Donn.

davekkk

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2020
Hi, first post.

I live in Denmark and have recently purchased a TDSZ2 with VLCD5 display from elifebike2010 on ebay out of Germany. Everything seems fine and went straight on the bike, except I have a Christania cykel, 3 wheel cargo cycle so I had to modify the frame slightly, which I expected and finished very well. I thought it was hacking a bit at low speed, so I installed three magnets on the rear wheel and set-up the controller to accept three magnets. It worked fine, smoother at low speeds (it is after all a cargo bike), but the speed limiter (set at 15 kmh) would then stop auxiliary power at 5 kmh. I set the limit to 45 kmh and the auxiliary power then limited at 15 kmh. I could live with that.

Anyway, my daughter has been riding the cykel for maybe 40-50 km and it's been working very well until: gradually (quickly) the motor started acting up, doing things it shouldn't do, like driving itself when stopped, power surging, limiting speed to 2 kmh etc. This went on for a day or two then suddenly pretty much everything stopped working properly.

Mostly small things; speed indicator and odometer indicator went to mph from kmh, odo reads 9999, speed doesn't register at all while in motion. The big thing is motor assist works - though only up to around 2 kmh.

But the big problem!
If I push the "I" button, the control panel bricks and I have to disconnect battery supply to do anything, but even still the power assist works - to 2 kmh.

When I first turn the power on, the power settings work and I can turn the display off by pushing the power button for 3 seconds. though after I push the "I" button, nothing works, changing power setting or change view (odo, trip time, avg speed), and can't turn the display off. It just stays where it was when I pushed the "I" button.

I can't go into setup mode because that requires the "I" button. I can't figure a way out of this scenario. Can anybody give suggestions other than going to open source software?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I sincerely hope someone can help, or at least direct me to where I can get help.

Donn.
I doubt I will get a response on this, but I just encountered the same issue. odo is 9999. Things still kind of work but I have tried everything to reset it some how and nothing has worked.