Too many options in my mind, but... any good?

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hello Lads!
I am looking for an e-bike I am 25 years old and just around 70kg and 1.71m high. I will use the bike to go work, the distance is about 6miles each way. I used to do lots of sports but now with my job is impossible. I know is not a huge way and I could probably use a normal bike, however I had one before and because I never really fancy bikes(I used to go running everywhere) my legs were telling me to stop that. Even if the way is not long I have a 12hours shift standing up and walking all the time...
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE WAY WORK
- I have 2 or 3 hills up which are quite long (about 1mile each) and are like a 10-15% up
- I will go mostly on the road (bus lane, bike lane)

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR
- Something good but not more expensive than around 800-900euros or 700-750 pounds (including delivery)
- Something that can help me to do the way without having that pain in my legs.
- Good warranty or/and after sales service.
- Kind of Hibrid or mountain bike.

OPTIONS AND PROBLEMS...
- There is just one ''problem'' and is that I live in Dublin so I don't know if I can get the bikes I have in mind delivered over here.

1. Woosh: Probably Sport one(any of them, maybe the most powerfull, I know I won't use that power but If I need one day I will have it)
2. Kudos Sport. There is a good value out there.
3.Thompson k2 (don't like is just 6months warranty...)
4. Pro Rider e-voyager (nothing to say, because I don't know much about it hahaha)
5. Ciclamatic powerplus, powacycle salisbury and Venturax( All of them from amazon and I think little bit less quality? )
6. Silver e-riders AJAX ( I just saw in this website)

I can't go for the juicy because are too expensive for me..

So as you can see I am lost hahaha, too many things in my head probably..
I know that with that price I can't get the best bike and I know that probably some people will think for 50pounds more you get something better, but my budget was 600 and now I went up 100-150 I have to put a limit hahahaha.

Thanks, I hope you can help me ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Just in case you haven't thought about it. You need somewhere to park your bike when you get to work. Where you leave it can influence what bike to get and, indeed, whether the idea of cycling to work is viable.

The Cyclamatic is not a low quality bike. It's a low specification bike. The battery has less capacity than most 36v ones, but shouldbe fine for what you've described.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I was looking at £750 bikes before I got carried away and spent thousands.

It seemed to me the Powacycle Salisbury was as d8 describes - low spec but reasonable quality.

Woosh and Kudos are well thought of on here, so you won't go far wrong with either of those.

As a commuter, you will need mudguards and a rack to carry stuff.

Both can be retro-fitted to any bike, but you may get a neater installation if you buy a bike with these already fitted.

Don't worry about lights, the after-market ones will slaughter anything fitted to a bike in this price range, so you will be buying those anyway.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hello to all again. At home is not a problem I have space enough to leave the bike and at work I have a big changing room where I would leave the bike.
I know kudos is ok but being the sport model maybe is not as new as the others..
About the powacycle I'm not saying I don't want to buy it but, if for a hundred more I can get better spec I will go for it( just if is in my price range hahaha)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there is only one powacycle that fits your budget, the £520 Milan 2 LPX: 180W motor, 36V 8AH SLA battery that weighs a ton, V brakes front and rear.
You are better off with the Woosh Sirocco 2.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
there is only one powacycle that fits your budget, the £520 Milan 2 LPX: 180W motor, 36V 8AH SLA battery that weighs a ton, V brakes front and rear.
You are better off with the Woosh Sirocco 2.

Frankie24, dont touch something like this, you wil hate it.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
After trex reply I am getting closer to the woosh bikes.
No one say anything about the Ajax or Thompson what is telling me that they probably don't have that good reputation. Could anyone tell me if is any big differencebetween the sirocco 2 and the sports? And if is worth to pay the differencebetween the 2 sport models and or the Sirocco?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't buy a sport bike for commuting.
You need mudguards, and rack. These things spoil the look of a sport bike and cost extra money.

Reactions: mountainsport

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No one say anything about the Ajax or Thompson what is telling me that they probably don't have that good reputation.
I don't know the Ajax, but Thompson have always been a supplier of very cheap and rather poor shopper e-bikes. The K2 has been a not very successful try to move upmarket, and that warranty is completely unacceptable. My advice, don't.

Woosh or Kudos are my choices in your list, both good value and they will back their products.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
don't buy a sport bike for commuting.
You need mudguards, and rack. These things spoil the look of a sport bike and cost extra money.
I could agree with you about the mudguards, I used to do a similar way to work with a bike without them and then with it and is a quite big differencehowever I'm not sure about the rack cause I've never had one and I was happy enough.( I normally use an special backpack which is made for snow boarding. Mudguards are about 10€, any information about the specs? I know they don't work in the same way but I don't know which one is better. Thanks for the reply :)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Anyone has ever hear about this site? http://www.bicycles4u.com/product/elysium-20-electric-folding-shaft-transmission-chainless-bike-copy-2

Looks quite good also for the price but not sure...

At the moment I still thinking the same my favourites are kudos sport( I've read about the hard front forks) and the woosh :)
Very small battery pack most are around 10 ah that is only 6.6 ah, only 3 speeds may not be enough for steeper hills and for an easy cruising cadence, shaft drive is less efficient as well.

Reactions: Frankie24

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Very small battery pack most are around 10 ah that is only 6.6 ah, only 3 speeds may not be enough for steeper hills and for an easy cruising cadence, shaft drive is less efficient as well.
Great answer!! I need some kind of information like that :) I won't get something not as efficient as the others.
Cheers :)

Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I could agree with you about the mudguards, I used to do a similar way to work with a bike without them and then with it and is a quite big differencehowever I'm not sure about the rack cause I've never had one and I was happy enough.( I normally use an special backpack which is made for snow boarding. Mudguards are about 10€, any information about the specs? I know they don't work in the same way but I don't know which one is better. Thanks for the reply :)
you have to climb 3 hills every day, so it's the most important criterion to consider. Two things that make a good hill climber: a big motor and a big battery. The rest is less important. The Sirocco 2 battery has the biggest capacity that you can afford with your budget. It's 36V 15AH, that covers about 40-50 miles. The additional benefit with a big capacity is that you only need to charge the battery every two or three days, that virtually doubles the life of your battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyone has ever hear about this site? http://www.bicycles4u.com/product/elysium-20-electric-folding-shaft-transmission-chainless-bike-copy-2

Looks quite good also for the price but not sure...
This is the third shaft drive bike I've seen over the years. The other two disappeared, so the omens are not good for lasting backup. They work ok, but in this case it only has a three speed hub gear which you may find inadequate for hills.

Support is important for e-bikes, things can go wrong, so again I'd say play safe and buy from where support is most likely. Just being able to buy the right replacement battery when the time comes will be appreciated.