Too many options in my mind, but... any good?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Also, it depends on the personality of each person.

My philosophy is to think a lot (too much) before doing anything in practice. This implies it takes a lot of time to act. The idea is that I need to fully know what is going to happen when I act. Of course, all this is bullshit, and despite I believe I fully know everything, at the first step of real practice, all falls apart.

But I cannot avoid acting that way.

Other people learn by doing. If I could do it (personalitywise) I would prefer being like this, but I cannot.

Reactions: Frankie24

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
I'm exactly the same. I can't stop looking, searchingand thinking about everything hahaha when I get the bike I will see the reality against my expectations hahaha

Reactions: Arbol

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hello lads, I have a question for all of you.
I've been reading some post and they said that if you do 10 miles is better a 36v 10ah battery and if you do 15miles 15ah battery. What about if you do about 12miles and you are small like me(1,70mand less than 70kg) do you think 10ah is enough or is better 15ah.( think that a bike with 15ah is 5-6kg heavier which you should consider for a person with my size)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it will depend on where you live. Very hilly: 15AH is better, flat: 10AH is better.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
it will depend on where you live. Very hilly: 15AH is better, flat: 10AH is better.
Is not very hilly, of course there are some hills on my way but not huge( they are long but there at not like 20 percent or something like that)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-bikes vary in how greedy they are so much depends on the model. You are the same weight as me and even the greediest e-bikes I've owned had no trouble in exceeding 12 miles range on a 36 volt 10 Ah battery. The shortest range was 15 miles in a quite hilly area. Most models with that size battery will achieve 20 miles or more range.

So the smaller battery should be more than adequate for you. The larger battery will give a very slightly better performance if you recharge every 12 miles, and it will probably allow you to do two 12 mile trips before charging.

So in your case it's a choice between the advantages of lower weight and cost, or the convenience of charging less often.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
one very addictive aspect of e-biking is the bike's acceleration, especially at traffic lights. Once bitten, it's very hard to give up.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
one very addictive aspect of e-biking is the bike's acceleration, especially at traffic lights. Once bitten, it's very hard to give up.
Is there a way to optimize acceleration, given legal limits (there are limits on power and speed, but not on acceleration, AFAIK)? I assume tyre quality is important, weight distribution too. What else?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
tricky question.
The xiongda XD 320RPM should be a good candidate on 20" foldable bike with hidden battery. By the way, if you design your own bike, think about foldable with hidden battery!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(there are limits on power and speed, but not on acceleration, AFAIK)?
Of the two test choices which may be used to certify 250 watts for an e-bike's conformity to EN15194, one uses a timed acceleration. If a controller is modified or exchanged to improve acceleration, it could mean the certification of legality is lost if the e-bike model's power was certified by that method. Most are certified by that method.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Of the two test choices which may be used to certify 250 watts for an e-bike's conformity to EN15194, one uses a timed acceleration. If a controller is modified or exchanged to improve acceleration, it could mean the certification of legality is lost if the e-bike model's power was certified by that method. Most are certified by that method.
there is an easy cheat for UK suppliers. Put the bike through the test without the throttle. PAS is always soft start, it'll pass without throttle.
Then add a full throttle later.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
If the Xiongda switch is put inside a box, and set at the high RPM setting (or at auto, knowing that under the circumstances of the test only high RPM setting will be selected) for the EN15194 acceleration test, what happens if testers do not test what happens under the low RPM setting?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the Xiongda switch is put inside a box, and set at the high RPM setting (or at auto, knowing that under the circumstances of the test only high RPM setting will be selected) for the EN15194 acceleration test, what happens if testers do not test what happens under the low RPM setting?
It might appear that it would pass, but in practice the power test is only a small part of the EN15194 certification by a test laboratory. In practice I'm sure a test facility would see the possibilities and test in all modes.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hello lads, I have a question for all of you.
I've been reading some post and they said that if you do 10 miles is better a 36v 10ah battery and if you do 15miles 15ah battery.
Whoever "they" were, they don't know what they're talking about. You can expect about 30 miles from a 10aH battery if you have a 250w motor.

The acceleration test is a last resort to be used in the absence of a rating from the motor supplier. They can't fail your bike by doing that test when your motor's rated at 250w.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
do you think 10ah is enough or is better 15ah.( think that a bike with 15ah is 5-6kg heavier )
I think your estimate of weight difference is wildly pessimistic, unless I've missed something:

My Ezee flatpack batteries weigh:-
10ah 3.2kg.
14ah 3.8kg.

Imho, go for the big battery - You won't notice the difference in weight, but you'll certainly apreciate the diference in capability.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
I think your estimate of weight difference is wildly pessimistic, unless I've missed something:

My Ezee flatpack batteries weigh:-
10ah 3.2kg.
14ah 3.8kg.

Imho, go for the big battery - You won't notice the difference in weight, but you'll certainly apreciate the diference in capability.
My options are: woosh sirocco2 (15ah and 25kg) woosh sport (10ah torque sensor 19-20kg) and vita uno (10ah and 20kg) differenceon the weight is because of the kind of bike not just the battery

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Frankie....I haven't read the whole thread but have you test ridden any bikes,it is almost impossible to make a decision as to which ebike to buy based upon its specification. We get customers come down to Whitstable with a decision made in their mind of which bike and invariably go away with a completely different bike.
It's time to start pedalling some wheels and find a venue that offers a lot of options.
Had you considered attending Redbridge event on May 18,you will be able to test 20 plus different bikes.
KudosDave

Reactions: Frankie24

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
My problem is that I'm in Ireland so I'm not available to go over there. And.. Not, I've never try any ebike. Every bike I had was a mtb and I used to ride quite fast(that'swhy I like the sport) there is a guy working with me who has one with no throttle but 15ah battery and is a bike for commuting, he told me I could try his bike to know how is more or less..