Torq wheel removal for tyre change

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I followed the very useful instructions for Torq front tyre change & its now done :).

When replacing the front wheel a the end, I realised I hadn't noted where the (looks like) washer & spacer go on the left, non-wired side of the axle (sorry if it seems trivial, but I'm a bit of a novice with these things :eek: and wouldn't want to put it back incorrectly): I have 2 - a small metal washer-like ring ~1mm thick with a radial "slit" & not quite flat, plus a brassy 3mm thick spacer-like ring. The forks don't seem to require a spacer inside the dropout between them & the nut on the motor, but I also seem to recall that the thicker brassy ring was inside the thinner metal washer and can't see why the two should be outside the fork dropout, between fork & outer wheel nut??

Please can anyone advise where they go?!

At least everything else went ok & motor still works :D.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These motors have varied slightly during the model's life Stuart, but it sounds like both washers should be outside. The plain thick washer goes against the fork, then the split washer which is called a spring washer goes on and then the nut. The function of the spring washer is to stop the wheel nut turning back and coming off, since it tends to dig in it's sharp ends at the split if the wheel nut tries to turn in the unscrewing direction.

There's more complete removal instructions on my Torq Talk site which include the reminder to note the order of washers etc. Here's the link.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks flecc, thats the order I put them and it seems the only logical way, but I may double-check with Jim if I speak to him :) I wish I'd noted properly the order when undoing them :rolleyes: but don't see any other way they could have been :).

I just collected & fitted a 25.6mm rigid alloy seatpost & rode home on it, Kenda tyre at 50lbs still on the rear, and it felt fine, good fit & no slip, slop or creak! :D

P.S. the 700x38C marathon plus on the front (at ~45lbs like I had the Kenda before) feels fine too, maybe more "pneumatic suspension" than the Kenda at that pressure :D I've reused the original tubes for now, which were lighter than but similar in size to the Schwalbe AV19 (220g); the size lower AV17 may be a little better for weight (150g) but were out of stock at Edinburgh bicycles.

Incidentally, I was interested to hear that they sell an electric bike, a Giant Suede for £599... and even more surprised to hear that their motto is "the revolution shall not be motorised"! (I didn't know this even though I've been in with Torq several times... :D).

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It won't cause you a problem Stuart, the motor being independent of those on that side since the rotor is isolated by the internal nut setting it's status.

Glad your seat post is ok, they seem better when the fit is good. :)

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for the reassurance flecc, and for the link to your site in your previous post - I should have seen that before :).

Seatpost does feel nice now - on a rigid frame bike with padded bar grips & m-plus tyres :cool: :D very nice!

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks Ian, that settles it then: its right the way I did it, which is good :).

Thanks for the replies. I'm still only barely halfway through your "3C" mod Ian, (front tyre & right grip changed :p) but looking good! :D I've added the seatpost change to the list too, and I might try to replace the front full length mudguard with a (brilliantly named) "crud catcher" :D.

Stuart.

Last edited: