Towing children uphill. Which ebike?

Deaks66

Just Joined
Feb 17, 2017
St Albans
Hi, am more or less new to the world of ebikes. I have two small children who i need to be towing in a trailer up a steep hill daily. I considered some kind of electric cargo bike but have decided I want something that I can use solo once they are finally on their own bikes. Ideally I want to spend around £1000 and won't need the bike for any off roading just something that is ideal for towing a child trailer. I have read somewhere that a crank motor is probably best but have no idea what this is. Any recommendations/advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Edit- I have seen this on the Halfords website http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crossfire-e-womens-electric-bike but not sure Halfords is the right place to gain any decent advice!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Deaks66,

I think you would be better off with something meatier than that.
Please take a look at the Woosh Big Bear LS.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

The Big Bear LS costs £1,049.

If you have any question you want to ask, I am here on the forum 7 days a week!

Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks that does look a good alternative even by my amateur eye...
The Big Bear is ideal for towing it has lots of torque low down in the power range so going up hills should be a breeze, the bafang bpm is one of the most powerful 250w hubs around and is very robust.
For when you want to go our on your own it should be good for 18/20mph if derestricted the load speed is 201 rpm.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Does the Woosh Big bear have hydraulic brakes. ?? Whatever bike you use to Gaul two kids uphill you need hydraulic brakes, preferably discs, to stop you when you're coming downhill.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Crokers,

The Big Bear has front SRAM Avid disc brakes on 180mm rotor, larger than the usual 160mm rotors.
They have excellent braking power, Avid pads are larger pads and self centering.

Rear brakes are Tektro rim brakes, excellent braking power too.

• Informative

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Big Bear, no contest.
That motor is awesome. My wife's got a slightly older model and it hauls her 62 year old butt up the hills of West Wales with a laugh and a, 'It's very pleasant up here isn't it?'.
Mech front disc is OK but there'd be no harm in upgrading to a hydraulic for more confidence with the trailer weight.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hello Crokers,

The Big Bear has front SRAM Avid disc brakes on 180mm rotor, larger than the usual 160mm rotors.
They have excellent braking power, Avid pads are larger pads and self centering.

Rear brakes are Tektro rim brakes, excellent braking power too.
Thanks for pointing that out. Are they hydraulic?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
no, you can see the cable in the picture.
Avid brakes are better than Tektro because they use larger pads.
The larger 180mm rotor also helps.
It's easy to change to hydraulic if you need to but I don't think there is much need.
I have tested changing over, replacing the Avid caliper with cable operated hydraulic brakes. The result is pretty much same. Braking power depends more on the size and quality of the pads than how they are operated.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have tested changing over, replacing the Avid caliper with cable operated hydraulic brakes. The result is pretty much same. Braking power depends more on the size and quality of the pads than how they are operated.
The difference isn't the braking power. Instead, it's the reliability, consistency, control and maintenance-free that makes hydraulics the better option.

On a test ride, it makes little difference, but after a few months of use, I guarantee that a cable brake won't be anywhere near as good as a hydraulic one. My bike has done 4000 miles in three years. during that time, I've never even looked at the brakes, let alone adjusted anything. They still work the same as when I first fitted them. No cable brake can match that.

I recommend that everybody should upgrade their front cable disc brake to a hydraulic one. That's the best £30 you can spend on any ebike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I agree broadly with d8veh but would like to make the following comment.
There are unfortunately very few models of hydraulic brakes with built in brake sensor. I do not recommend fitting one without sensor and relying on just one sensor for your safety.
The other way is to buy a cable operated hydraulic brake like the TRP which lets you keep the current sensored lever but it is very expensive:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/trp-hy-rd-cable-actuated-hydraulic-disc-brake-caliper/

As I said in my previous post, I tested the TRP and found only modest improvement because the Avid brakes offer already excellent braking performance.
Three of our bikes are fitted with hydraulic brakes (with sensor of course) where we think that the bikes may be used on muddy terrains: the Woosh Zephyr-B, the Rio MTB and the Rio Fat Boy. None of them have step through frame that the OP requires.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
How much extra would it have added to the price if you had these better brakes added as standard on all your models?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
about £80.
The main attraction for me is that hydraulic brakes are not much affected by mud and water like cable operated brakes are.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
When you are towing which i do regular just be very careful on your battery because it does go down a lot more then just using your bike on it own

For example if i was doing a 11-mile commute to the next town
The Journey would cost me in total 14 miles instead of 11 miles
and the same for coming back but it can be more miles if you have
a heavy load carrying

The weight of the trailer would be a factor on how many miles you get and the weight what you are carrying too

if you are commuting a lot of miles i would strongly recommend getting a big battery so you can cope with it all to save you buying another battery so you are able to do your commute to where you are going

i had to buy two batteries to do the commute because i was only about 5 miles short from getting home so it was easier just to buy another battery for my needs

just be careful on the e-bike you are buying some of the batteries can be quite expensive to have as a spare or replace

if you are looking for a good brand of trailer i would recommend a burley trailer they are very good i do have a Burley Travoy which works very well and it has made my life a lot more easier now because i can strap my golf clubs on the back of my Travoy and go and play golf when i want before having the travoy i was unable to go to the golf coarse on my own i had to ask someone for a lift to get their now i can just go on my own and not have to worry about getting back just park the bike up and play golf

Last edited:

Ready Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2017
Portsmouth
Does anyone know what the weight limit is for the luggage rack on the BIg Bear LS? Would it take a child seat for an older child so potentially 40kg total?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
not enough to take a child seat directly.
The Big Bear LS is much better suited to tow a trailer, even a two seater one.
How old is your child?
and which child seat you would like to fit?
For use with child seats, something like the Woosh Bermuda or the Bali may be better.

Ready Eddie

Mar 13, 2017
Portsmouth
not enough to take a child seat directly.
The Big Bear LS is much better suited to tow a trailer, even a two seater one.
How old is your child?
and which child seat you would like to fit?
For use with child seats, something like the Woosh Bermuda or the Bali may be better.
Our daughter is nearly 4 but weighs nearly 21kg already and most child seats only go up to 22kg.
I've found these 3 seats that will take her weight and height but will have to add a harness somehow as she's still so young and these only come with a lapbelt.
https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicy...t/yepp-junior-bicycle-childseat-budget-black/
https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicy...-childseat-junior-6-complete-grey-light-grey/
https://www.polisport.com/en/bicycle/products/baby-seats/?id=71&pid=212

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The weaknesses of all the bikes with rack battery are:

1) the platform is about 10cm higher than a normal bike rack.
2) the weight is supported by only two M5 allen bolts, screwed into alloy frame. For better support, you should install steel inserts.
3) the rocking movement of the seat loosens the bolts. As soon as the bolts are loosened, the movement will kill the thread in no time.

the Yepp Junior or Qibbel Junior or Guppy Junior:

You would need extra support like in this picture to transfer some of the weight to the chainstays.

Ready Eddie

Mar 13, 2017
Portsmouth
OK. Thank you. I think I'm going to go for one that has a bike bottle battery and install a rack that can take a higher weight.