Traction problem with Big Bear

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
The more weight you can get on to the driving wheel the better. Do you know the actual angle and length of the steep part? You could set the bike up at the same angle with the front wheel on bathroom scales and measure the difference various mods make, then stick the scale under the rear wheel and see how much more grip you could have.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I know this may only help the tiniest amount, but you could try moving the seat forward along the rails, so there's more weight forward of the seat tube.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
image.jpg Moved battery forward as much as possible. Added a crossbar bag with some lead knitting machine weights in it. Added a heavy D-Lock. Been for a long hilly ride. What a difference it's made, no spin on the dry surface. I'm sure it's going to be better on a damp surface too. Thanks for all your responses on this thread. Very happy.
PS. I am going to position the handlebars more forward tomorrow.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Can you fit the battery on the front rack? If you move the bars forward you may be able to do as Fordulike says and move the saddle forwards. I don't know how much input you provide when climbing but be careful not to upset your riding position as this could have a negative impact on your input.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Different subject but may be useful to someone.
My Big Bear is as quiet as a mouse.... I hate waitng for that next clunk going over those bumps. Firstly, i obviously moved and tightened anything loose. Removed my back pannier bags, they make a right din. The only thing left making a noise was chain slap. Chain tensioners are expensive but i found a cheap one called Brand X. Although it is excellent quality it gets poor reviews. Mainly due to fit and noisy. I overcome the noisy chattering of Brand X by fitting a nylon washer on the swivel joint. Perfect and my BB is absolutely silent on the biggest of bumps. See my photo above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Can you fit the battery on the front rack? If you move the bars forward you may be able to do as Fordulike says and move the saddle forwards. I don't know how much input you provide when climbing but be careful not to upset your riding position as this could have a negative impact on your input.
The problem with a battery on the front rack would be the steering. It would need a different hefty rack which is not good on a bike with suspension forks. Also the cables would eventually break due to frequent bending.
PS. Has a bike ever been made with the battery on the front?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
View attachment 15152 Moved battery forward as much as possible. Added a crossbar bag with some lead knitting machine weights in it. Added a heavy D-Lock. Been for a long hilly ride. What a difference it's made, no spin on the dry surface. I'm sure it's going to be better on a damp surface too. Thanks for all your responses on this thread. Very happy.
PS. I am going to position the handlebars more forward tomorrow.
Having the handlebars that high won't be helping.

In general, an upright riding position would have the bars level or a few inches higher than the saddle.

Safety is another consideration, I doubt the stem is designed to work at that angle - there may be some markings on it indicating its range.

Nothing may go wrong in steady road use, but on t'other hand the steering is the last thing you want to take a chance on.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I think your biggest problem is the handlebar position. If you correct that you can lose all the lead weights.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I have just ordered these. Very similar to ones fitted to Big Bear LSView attachment 15156
Where did you order the handlebars from? I have had a Big Bear for about two years. Very happy with it but the handlebars are, more or less, straight. I quite fancy some along the lines in your picture (although I will have to make sure my technical/mechanical abilities would be up to transferring all the controls - especially where there isnt currently much slack in any of the cables/wires)

wolfmandave15

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
I know where your coming from marwood
Having just sold my big bear to a fellow member for the same problem spinning out.
I'm glad you have persevered because it is a powerful hill climbing bike for sure.
Best of luck.
Dave

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I know where your coming from marwood
Having just sold my big bear to a fellow member for the same problem spinning out.
I'm glad you have persevered because it is a powerful hill climbing bike for sure.
Best of luck.
Dave

Thanks Dave, nice to finally hear from someone who has experienced the same problem. I would hate to get rid of the BB, as you say a great hill climber once the spinning is sorted. Getting there now though i think.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
From Ebay £13.99 Freepost. I have to double check the diameter first. You will be surprised at how far those cables will reach. Look at the photo of my bike above with Northroad swept back handlebars. http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401165154595

OK. Thanks. I would be very interested to know how you get on with fitting the replacement handlebars. Mine came with the straight handlebars - see pic (hopefully): bigbear.jpg

wolfmandave15

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
I bought a bike from electricbikeconversians which is a 500 watt rear hub direct drive which handles extremely well but can't hold a candle to the big bear when it comes to hills.
If they made a rear hub bear then I'd buy one for sure.
Dave

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
OK. Thanks. I would be very interested to know how you get on with fitting the replacement handlebars. Mine came with the straight handlebars - see pic (hopefully): View attachment 15166
I don't like the straight handlebars myself. Every bike i've had i've replaced them with Dutch type. Better for my back and i find steering and control of bike is much better with them.

Advertisers