Traction problem with Big Bear

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
From Ebay £13.99 Freepost. I have to double check the diameter first. You will be surprised at how far those cables will reach. Look at the photo of my bike above with Northroad swept back handlebars. http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401165154595

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably too early to get feedback on whether the ones you ordered from eBay have fitted OK, but could you let me know which ones you ordered - there are so many different ones listed on eBay!. Thanks

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Probably too early to get feedback on whether the ones you ordered from eBay have fitted OK, but could you let me know which ones you ordered - there are so many different ones listed on eBay!. Thanks
To enable my WingLights indicators to be seen i fitted these swept back handlebars. There is plenty of room for the fittings on this style and the bike handles great. You can sit upright or lean. Please note - my bike is the Big Bear so i don't know if your model will be the same for size / fittings.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-swept-back-trekking-handlebars-like-north-road-/221427482646?hash=item338e1b4016:m:mNF5pEDddPUVwj0yvK_Ivyg
OR cheaper ones....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-North-Road-classic-chrome-handlebar-58-cm-City-Dutch-Bike-Touring-Fixie-/152216416648?hash=item2370ce3188:g:o4QAAOSwMmBVkUvk

Last edited:

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
To enable my WingLights indicators to be seen i fitted these swept back handlebars. There is plenty of room for the fittings on this style and the bike handles great. You can sit upright or lean. Please note - my bike is the Big Bear so i don't know if your model will be the same for size / fittings.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-swept-back-trekking-handlebars-like-north-road-/221427482646?hash=item338e1b4016:m:mNF5pEDddPUVwj0yvK_Ivyg
OR cheaper ones....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-North-Road-classic-chrome-handlebar-58-cm-City-Dutch-Bike-Touring-Fixie-/152216416648?hash=item2370ce3188:g:o4QAAOSwMmBVkUvk
OK. Many thanks. Yes, I have the Big Bear - the one with the "crossbar", just like yours. I would like to find some that are black though, rather than the chrome/silver

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Not only is my Big Bear gripping well now, i have adapted a trailer to carry the 9st missus or 65kg of dog food, and it pulls well uphill with that too!

Reactions: Wingreen and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
nice trailer! is it a bespoke one?

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
nice trailer! is it a bespoke one?
The actual basic cargo trailer is from Ebay at £83. The bits i've added to carry a person, a seat and back taken off an office swivel chair and bolted on, added stiff rubber sides and 2 rear bicycle mudguards. To comply with the law, two triangular reflectors, lights and a flag. She says it is so comfy and i don't really know that i'm towing anything!
The only other bicycle trailer law requirement is that you obviously must be able to show that the bicycle brakes are good enough to stop within a reasonable distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You know it is only rated for 40 kg of course... Mine will be getting new wheels and tyres next month and I am trying to figure if a 9 st labrador will fit, you may have answered that question :rolleyes:

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
Is it possible to put the Big Bear motor on the back? I am a little confused by this thread. Perhaps you can if you dispense with the gears? Can anyone explain? Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it possible to put the Big Bear motor on the back? I am a little confused by this thread. Perhaps you can if you dispense with the gears? Can anyone explain? Thanks.
o_ONow you are being silly!!!
The front motors bar a few for small wheels are suited for 100mm wide drop outs, somehow they don't fit in a 135mm wide rear drop out. For towing or light riders a rear bpm /cst is the best option with a hub.
As my kit was surplus I fitted it to an old HT mtb frame and built it up for winter mud rides, I do get some wheel slip but if I put my weight over the front it manages climbing on loose or hard chalk pack on ascents.

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I am looking at the possibly of disconnecting the power to the front motor and buying a new back wheel complete with motor and gears. Just leaving the motor in the front wheel as it is. Anyone see any problems?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It does seem a bit point less riding around with 4.4kg dead weight. But with your sit up and beg position and with all the rear weight inc battery you may find the front becomes a little light on the steep hills having the rear power so the extra front ballast may come in handy.

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Seems a bit point less riding around with 4.4kg dead weight not needed swap the front for a normal hub wheel an if happy with the rear set up sell the old motor wheel.
Or alternately with all the rear weight inc battery you may find the front becomes a little light on the steep hills so the extra front ballast may come in handy.
Yes, that’s what i thought about keeping the weight on the front. I’m surprised to hear that the FUN motor weighs as much as 4.4kg ? I think putting a new back wheel with motor will be quite straightforward. The only problem could be the disc brake. May have to change to rim brake?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BPM/CST both are about 4.4kg they are 160mm dia hubs. You should have little issue with rear hdb at most you might have to use a180mm rotor and caliper adapter so an extra cost £15-20.

Some drop out filing will be needed ( most probably 2 - 4mm deeper) to allow the axle and AR washer tabs to sit in correctly also fit a TA, easier on the disc side.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am looking at the possibly of disconnecting the power to the front motor and buying a new back wheel complete with motor and gears.
we can supply a rear Bafang SWX02 with disc brake rotor for £150.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is that the same motor that i’ve got on the front? What else would i need to buy to make it rear wheel drive?

no, that the motor in the Bermuda. We also sell the motor in the hub kits.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bermuda
It's a 140mm diameter motor. The BPM is a 160mm motor.
You don't need to buy anything else.
Undo the freewheel from the rear Big Bear wheel, screw it on the new motor wheel, transfer tyre and innertube over to the new wheel, re-install the wheel then connect the 3-pin motor cable to the controller in place of the old motor cable.

Advertisers