Trade Members Being Too Overtly Salesy in 'What Bike?' Threads?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have noticed that at least one trade member takes every single opportunity on many 'what bike should I buy?' threads to very overtly - and rather unsubtlely - push their wares onto the thread. Now, sometimes the suggestion is valid and the bike might suit the task in question, other times the suggestions have really stretched the margins of what the OP really needs or wants. Other trade members do chip in from time to time, but only it seems, when their bike closely matches the needs/wants of the OP.

My question is how much leeway is given to trade members to act like this? I realise that I don't pay for this forum and they do, but I do find it rather intrusive and sometimes unhelpful that this member takes every chance to bluntly push their wares. Maybe it is simply something I have to put up with and I will, but other posters seem to mock their suggestions on occasions, perhaps echoing my feelings?

Reactions: Neil5403

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This debate has cropped up from time to time over the years, but the conclusion has broadly been that the trade members presence is generally helpful so we tolerate it.

As you observe, the private members will mock any really unsuitable trade member suggestion, and inquirers will be inclined to be cautious about suggestions from potentially biased sources.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
warwick, please give us an example, we can discuss it.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My question is how much leeway is given to trade members to act like this? I realise that I don't pay for this forum and they do, but I do find it rather intrusive and sometimes unhelpful that this member takes every chance to bluntly push their wares
Maybe, drop them a personal e-mail that you are talking about them, and they may get the hint and back off a little. Wouldn't be fair to name and shame them on this thread though.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I do find it rather intrusive and sometimes unhelpful that this member takes every chance to bluntly push their wares. Maybe it is simply something I have to put up with and I will, but other posters seem to mock their suggestions on occasions, perhaps echoing my feelings?
I shouldn't worry too much about it as, after 'Brexit', some may not be around too long. There are tough times ahead for small businesses reliant on imported non-essential goods.

Tom

• Dislike
Reactions: robert44 and IR772

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My take on it, is that provided that the trade member has a suitable bike marketed within their range, then they wouldn't be doing their job properly, if they didn't recommend a bike. I can't say that I have ever noticed any one particular dealer pushing their wares, and only note that some companies are more pro active than others.

It would seem kind of pointless sitting tentatively on the fence just watching and saying nothing.

I don't like to see trade members making snide remarks against other dealers/brands, or twisting things to suit though.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
As long as the dealers identify themselves as such I don't see it as a problem.
I'd agree if the suggested bikes always matched the OP's stated needs. Sometimes they don't and it feels like they have simply pushed a bike that might, tenuously, get sort-of close to those, but not really.

Edited.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd agree if the suggested bikes always matched the OP's needs.
Sometimes traders like myself propose one of their models that is nearest to what the thread owners require for the simple reason that the threads are usually read by other members with similar but not necessarily identical requirements.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Which brings me back to my original question. Why deviate?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think there is a difference between deviating and making a suggestion that is near to the thread's owner's requirement. Do give us an example of what you mean.
I don't recall any thread where I made an irrelevant suggestion.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I think there is a difference between deviating and making a suggestion that is near to the thread's owner's requirement. Do give us an example of what you mean.
I don't recall any thread where I made an irrelevant suggestion.
Perhaps a little silence as others my have sinned. :eek:
It might not have been you referred to.
( it was definitely not trex :(still missed)

Andrew Ford

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2016
Rotherham
I'm with most opinions of others
As long as the dealer says he's in the trade to sell and doesn't slag other dealers off, carnt see a problem

Sure if the dealer recommended an unsuitable bike for somebody, others would step in and say so and make a point as for why it's the wrong bike

Andy

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Hi not been on here long but watching quite a while. I think the input from trade members is a real plus and they seem very well behaved. It's more likely that a regular member with a like/dislike of hub/crank, road/mtb etc will suggest something way off the mark. Even then I've seen a few threads where this has opened up ideas for the poster, which they explore and end up happily with a bike they'd not even considered.

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E and flecc

Advertisers