Trailers

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Has anyone got experience of trailers for ebikes, what i thought was a single wheel trailer to put lots of batteries in and maybe a tent etc for a weekend camping. I'm thinking of 50 to 60 miles each way, maybe more when i am confident i can handle the distance. Is anyone doing this? as i think it would be sensible to get advice before i start acquiring the necessary gear. I am not intending to go camping this year but next spring or early summer would allow me the time to work things out.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Has anyone got experience of trailers for ebikes, what i thought was a single wheel trailer to put lots of batteries in and maybe a tent etc for a weekend camping. I'm thinking of 50 to 60 miles each way, maybe more when i am confident i can handle the distance. Is anyone doing this? as i think it would be sensible to get advice before i start acquiring the necessary gear. I am not intending to go camping this year but next spring or early summer would allow me the time to work things out.
I used a single wheel trailer with and extra pack of LEAD ACID! bateries a while ago, using a longer connecting lead. The weight was not a problem but you will have to get used to the feel off the thing on corners. Iv'e seen a few being used on the Great Glen cycle trail along the canal tow paths. Not so good on rough trails though. I use an Edinburgh Cycle trailer which hooks onto special rear wheel bolts or a special quick release rod. Both are in sizes for normal bikes. So the larger sized axle used on some rear ebike hubs would be a problem.Obviously mid or front motore are not .

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Definitely single wheel if you want to go fast. I like the one that carries a panier rack so you would be able to take 4 X full sized paniers.

20" wheel is a minimum, my twin wheel 16" trailer is OK for slow speeds and short shopping trips. And hydraulic brakes are a must to be able to stop the extra weight.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Allow for extra battery, 800-1000WH total. Also consider lowering gearing of bike, 38 chainring with 11-46t cassette would be ideal regardless of motor. A 11-42t for more powerful 60-80nm motors.