Transport plan? What transport plan?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the whole charging infrastructure needs massive investment and growth.
Earlier this year a Hyundai e-car broke Stirling Mosses old record for time taken to drive through 7 European countries, and adding an 8th country too. They were only using the existing public charging network.

Later this year a What Car team drove a Porsche Taycan e-car visiting 14 European countries within 24 hours, a new world record by a huge margin, covering 1199 miles and all done using the existing public charging network.

No vehicle has ever successfully driven from pole to pole, but British husband and wife team Chris and Julie Ramsey will make history next year in their new all-electric Nissan Ariya, travelling over 17,000 miles and passing through 14 countries, raising awareness of the climate crisis and the critical role electric vehicles can play in reducing our carbon footprint.

Two trips done and a third planned showing the charging network is far better than most suspect.

Not to mention the Lands End to John 'o Groats runs both ways by e-cars on the public charging networks. The first of those was long ago using Tesla's original Elan based e-sports car. That same car has now repeated the run at over ten years old, easier now with lots more chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Earlier this year a Hyundai e-car broke Stirling Mosses old record for time taken to drive through 7 European countries, and adding an 8th country too. They were only using the existing public charging network.

Later this year a What Car team drove a Porsche Taycan e-car visiting 14 European countries within 24 hours, a new world record by a huge margin, covering 1199 miles and all done using the existing public charging network.

No vehicle has ever successfully driven from pole to pole, but British husband and wife team Chris and Julie Ramsey will make history next year in their new all-electric Nissan Ariya, travelling over 17,000 miles and passing through 14 countries, raising awareness of the climate crisis and the critical role electric vehicles can play in reducing our carbon footprint.

Two trips done and a third planned showing the charging network is far better than most suspect.

Not to mention the Lands End to John 'o Groats runs both ways by e-cars on the public charging networks. The first of those was long ago using Tesla's original Elan based e-sports car. That same car has now repeated the run at over ten years old, easier now with lots more chargers.
Try getting into, probably more importantly out of, Hull..

I,d bet truth lies somewhere between Expess's survey and Fleccs assessment? But where between?
PS. Not suggesting Hybrid is answer. It isn't.. Especially this one at £70k plus.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I,d bet truth lies somewhere between Expess's survey and Fleccs assessment? But where between?
Easy to answer where between. Every journey in Britain is possible with today's e-cars, or even my 5 year old one.

Most journeys are very easy to do, but of course there are some more difficult ones that need a bit of thought in advance, using ZapMap.

For the small minority who will often need to do the more difficult journeys, the advice of course is don't buy an e-car. The majority wont be able to have one for two decades yet anyway, we can't make them fast enough to replace the whole fleet any quicker.

So what is the problem? Fact is there isn't one, just silly newspapers like the Express and lots of individuals who try to invent a problem. A problem for them is just that, not a problem for everyone.

My advice to all the anti e-car brigade is simple, just carry on driving ic cars for the next 36 years at least, possible as I've shown. And stop trying to prove they are useless when they are already superior for the great majority of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zlatan

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
This is idiosyncratic (am retiring, in calabria or curacao and extracting from blightey because my tropically conditioned physiology are not as fond of English winters as the average uncooled ev battery). And I don't like spending much on cars (and need to replace what I have). But as whatsisname would say not a lot of people know that 40kwh e-nv200 use actively cooled battery (I imagine nissan thought it would have to be for regular rapid charging on a commercial cycle) unlike car derivative. It's right at the top of my list at moment (van may be quite useful as well)

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is idiosyncratic (am retiring, in calabria or curacao and extracting from blightey because my tropically conditioned physiology are not as fond of English winters as the average uncooled ev battery).
Similar for me, but my position much worse since in old age, being in the cold triggers heart attacks. It's progressively got worse with age, so now at 86 symptoms now start at as high as 15 degrees C. It stops me getting sufficient exercise in fresh air for several months a year. It's too late now for me to contemplate moving abroad, the stress would probably finish me, so I expensively simulate the warmer climes in my home.

But as whatsisname would say not a lot of people know that 40kwh e-nv200 use actively cooled battery (I imagine nissan thought it would have to be for regular rapid charging on a commercial cycle) unlike car derivative. It's right at the top of my list at moment (van may be quite useful as well)
Not a very clever system it seems and I'm glad Nissan omitted all battery temperature control on my Leaf. In Southern Britain it really isn't necessary to have either heating or cooling for the battery, especially when the heating doesn't cut in until almost 20 degrees below freezing, a temperature we never see.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Similar for me, but my position much worse since in old age, being in the cold triggers heart attacks. It's progressively got worse with age, so now at 86 symptoms now start at as high as 15 degrees C. It stops me getting sufficient exercise in fresh air for several months a year. It's too late now for me to contemplate moving abroad, the stress would probably finish me, so I expensively simulate the warmer climes in my home.

Not a very clever system it seems and I'm glad Nissan omitted all battery temperature control on my Leaf. In Southern Britain it really isn't necessary to have either heating or cooling for the battery, especially when the heating doesn't cut in until almost 20 degrees below freezing, a temperature we never see.
Not massively clever (doesn't work while aircon is on; doesn't work when battery overheats while driving, and can't be hacked to do either and yes cooling or heating ev battery in uk ambient irrelevant). We have friends who don't live in curacau but simply spend a month there each Christmas, it's one of the most cheap and cheerful places I've been and highly recommendable.

Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not massively clever (doesn't work while aircon is on; doesn't work when battery overheats while driving, and can't be hacked to do either and yes cooling or heating ev battery in uk ambient irrelevant). We have friends who don't live in curacau but simply spend a month there each Christmas, it's one of the most cheap and cheerful places I've been and highly recommendable.
Great windsurfing in Curaçao (all Dutch Antilles are). Be careful on beaches tho. I stood on a Stone fish in Aruba, most painful thing I, ve ever done. Was worrying for a while. (it can cause heart attack).
If it weren't for gkids I, d be in ABC or BVI. Fantastic all of them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oulu a northern Finish City has a great cycling infrastruture in place where snow can be on the ground for 5 or 6 months of the year.
A population 200k approx. 77% cycle in the summer snow free months and even in the colder snow months where temps can be -14c up to 42% still cycle for transport.
The city has 950km of dedicated segregated cycle ways and a law that sets out the rules for contractors to up keep the snow bound routes to they are usable.

Advertisers