Transport Poverty

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think if you re-read the thread as I've just done DJH, it doesn't have anything like the bias you've presented. The only mention of town apart from your own was my mention of "towns and villages", so I don't understand where you got the idea of a mention about town people knowing better than village people. There's also plenty of mention of the self help that goes on in English villages, but after all, the thread is primarily about Wales and Welsh policy.

I know the situation in Yorkshire is very different both from past experience and from my relatives living there for many years, and they don't have their own enforced language though some would say the dialect can get close at times! :)

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
@DJH - I think you might have mis-interpreted the thread slightly. It's really been a bit of fact finding as to why people in some remote areas need outside support in the form of state funding to help them live their daily lives. The SUSTRANS article focusses on Wales, which, from my own experience of Wales and villages in England (yes I live in one also) can be different. I'm sure there are country, regional and local differences that mean that some villages will have a good community structure and some will be poor. The focus on Wales, and particularly the Valleys, suggests that there are major differences within Wales, with villages in the Valleys being the least supported for some reason, whatever that may be: topology, transport, community, wealth, education, class, psychology, crime or any other socio-political reason etc

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
It is perfectly legal in Wales to discriminate against non Welsh speakers.
By the way, huge amounts of money are thrown at promoting and preserving the Welsh language.
Guess who pays?
Tis indeed a scandal, a bit like free education in Scotland!

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Oooops I just made a post and it's disappeared into the ether. Did it about the same time as your last post eTim. Can't repeat it now as listening to football.:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Errr.......Move?;) Or buy a Panasonic bread maker, I have one and they are better then the bikes (joke) and make your own bread. It is simple to use, and produces beautifully fresh and cheap bread. read your papers on line, order your shopping on line and get it delivered... and live like a hermit OR move to the city and have a life:p

NEXT!:D

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
A Panasonic bread maker Eddie! Not a Bosch one? :p
Now...now..they do some things right!lol

new 250watt (was 300 watt) 36 v flyer getting very good reviews, miles better then 26 v apparently...but the price, Oh Lordy The PRICE!:confused:

My above post looks most odd now that the country bumkin chappy has decided to remove his:p

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
@DJH - I think you might have mis-interpreted the thread slightly. It's really been a bit of fact finding as to why people in some remote areas need outside support in the form of state funding to help them live their daily lives
Football finished…………disaster!

The debate seemed to be widened to villages in general not just Wales and government funding for rural communities. I was commenting on the fact that without government support our dale would not have been able to have the good broadband service we now have together with the benefits that that brings. And it was done through the existing democratically elected institutions not reliant on individuals. However I must confess, two years into the project, we had to form a committee to carry the project through as it was found to be illegal for the democratically elected institution to carry out this work! Communities can and do cooperate.
As for sustrans I’m disappointed !

Advertisers