Transporting ebikes when towing a caravan

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Hi all,. Hope I have the right area of the forum to discuss taking the ebikes away with us on caravan holidays. We have a 2013 Swift Ace Ambassador caravan and would like to know if any other ebike owners know of any bike carriers that can fit to either van or car that can take the weight of two ebikes, namely a Giant Prime e and a Haibike Trekking. Mounting a carrier at the towbar and front end of the caravan would cause problems with the all important weight at the towbar hitch. is it possible to get them inside the caravan without causing damage? Am interested in other forum members experiences of this?

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Can't see a problem with putting them in the van,might need a wee bit of thought and maybe have to remove a wheel or turn the handle bars to fit them in but it would be my first choice.

D

Deleted member 4366

Turn the handlebars at 90 deg so that they line up with the wheel. hold the bike vertical and it'll go straight through the door. You can get folding pedals from Ebay, which will help even more.

Reactions: Tabs

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't forget to tie them down. You don't want a heavy e-bike moving around in your caravan!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Don't forget to tie them down. You don't want a heavy e-bike moving around in your caravan!
Yes will do. Would like to stand them each in there own single wheel stand and then strap them securely. Incidently check out Swift Basecamp a brilliant caravan with rear entry door and bench seats that fold up to allow room for bikes to be stored en route. Bit pricey but great for active holiday use.

robpenn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2017
London
I remember my brother's old van has a ladder mounted bike rack that he bought at 4wheelonline. I know some vans have anchor points specifically to take a bike rack.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Inside the caravan might be best.

I haven't got an ebike yet but for my normal bikes I use a Maxxraxx which has a bracket left fitted behind my towbar. I hitch the caravan to the car and then I just slot the upright pole into the bracket and hang the bikes on. The rack is further secured by straps attached to my roof bar, but they can also be fitted to the top of the rear door/boot.

Whilst I've carried three normal bikes on it, Im not sure if it would stand the weight of two ebikes, but I'm quite sure it would take the weight of one.

I also use a Karritek rack which slides and tilts down for easy loading. I use it with both my roof box and bikes with Thule 591 bike carriers. It would perhaps be possible to lift it back up again with the weight of one ebike, but two might be too heavy...

I did once see a caravan overtake me with a rack that must have been fitted to the caravan chassis somehow?

Last edited:

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
This could be another option inside your caravan..

If you didn't want to drill holes in your caravan floor then I'm sure a suitable timber base could be devised that just sits on the floor and doesn't move/tip over?

Reactions: Chris.L

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This could be another option inside your caravan..

If you didn't want to drill holes in your caravan floor then I'm sure a suitable timber base could be devised that just sits on the floor and doesn't move/tip over?
Bikes loose inside a caravan will destroy the interior all it takes is a few silent policemen .. those ramps in the road.
Years ago I made up a frame using timber to hold those bicycle brackets used on car roof racks . It worked ok but there is not much space in or around a caravan and the assembly is physically awkward. The best option in my opinion is to have a rack professionally installed to the rear of the caravan. These people will know where there are strong mounting points.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Bikes loose inside a caravan will destroy the interior
Not if they are packed properly. Ive recently towed 600 miles with two bikes inside the caravan. With cushions and bedding and other items placed carefully the bikes didn't move an inch. It will be my preferred method when I get an ebike, with the wifes' bike and sons bike going on either the towball rack, or the roof rack.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
I have a fiamma bike rack on the back of my motorhome, I tried the new bike on it yesterday to take to Cadwell race park this weekend, the rail is a tad small that the wheels fit in but fiamma have brought out a new rail designed for ebike which is longer and has different wheel mount clips,

Would it be possible to fit a fiamma bike rake to the rear of your caravan, I have seen quite a few caravans with these fitted on my travels

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Drop the caravan, buy a trailer for the e-bike chuck your camping gear in and live happy! :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I have a fiamma bike rack on the back of my motorhome, I tried the new bike on it yesterday to take to Cadwell race park this weekend, the rail is a tad small that the wheels fit in but fiamma have brought out a new rail designed for ebike which is longer and has different wheel mount clips,

Would it be possible to fit a fiamma bike rake to the rear of your caravan, I have seen quite a few caravans with these fitted on my travels
Some of the more modern caravans can accept a rear rack. Swift make their caravans so the rear can accept one, you then need to drill through the outer plastic to get to the fixings.

But you also need to consider the effect it can have on the nose weight of the caravan etc.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not if they are packed properly. Ive recently towed 600 miles with two bikes inside the caravan. With cushions and bedding and other items placed carefully the bikes didn't move an inch. It will be my preferred method when I get an ebike, with the wifes' bike and sons bike going on either the towball rack, or the roof rack.
Well if they are well secured then they are hardly loose!.
My point is was that the finishes inside caravans are nice and pretty but not robust or strong. If a bike with its sharp metallic bits be they pedals, brakehandles , wheel nuts or whatever get a chance to slide against doors and panels they will score them or even puncture them .
Having lots of big things inside the limited space also interferes with the most useful feature of a touring caravan. .. the ability to just pop into the loo and or make a cuppa.... Not necessarily in that order!.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well if they are well secured then they are hardly loose!.
My point is was that the finishes inside caravans are nice and pretty but not robust or strong. If a bike with its sharp metallic bits be they pedals, brakehandles , wheel nuts or whatever get a chance to slide against doors and panels they will score them or even puncture them .
Your right of course, but its really very simple to pack them so they aren't loose. Only takes a couple of minutes of effort. Apply a little bit of care when lifting in/out of the caravan and Bobs your auntie. If only they sold 'care' in aerosol form :)

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Thanks for all your input guys, will try packing the bikes carefully inside first to see how we get on. Have thought about a rear Swift carrier at back of van but am a bit nervous about not being able to keep an eye on them whilst towing. Nice outfit you have there Bear, no problems with nose weight with the Landy!

Reactions: The Bear

pamdo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2017
France
Any feedback? I manage to carry my ordinary bike in the van with careful positioning (and turning handlebars to fit through door) but am about to buy a new ebike (following Kalkhoff motor issues!) so have yet to see how that will work. Thule make a lift carrier for caravans/ motorhomes but it's very expensive and much heavier than a normal one. We only have a user payload of 135kg so a rear rack plus just even 1 ebike really eats into that allowance. Hence the idea of carrying it inside the van. It does cause a problem for coffee/ lunch stops etc though!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Any feedback? I manage to carry my ordinary bike in the van with careful positioning (and turning handlebars to fit through door) but am about to buy a new ebike (following Kalkhoff motor issues!) so have yet to see how that will work. Thule make a lift carrier for caravans/ motorhomes but it's very expensive and much heavier than a normal one. We only have a user payload of 135kg so a rear rack plus just even 1 ebike really eats into that allowance. Hence the idea of carrying it inside the van. It does cause a problem for coffee/ lunch stops etc though!
Hi, not used the van recently so not had chance to try getting the bike in but will do next year now. Planning to site the van for a season in the Derbyshire peaks for next season in riding distance of home, about 30 miles as am finding it difficult to get away for longer periods. So will be a destressing bolt hole that we can ride to easily. Need to be local to look after elderly parents presently.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I don’t think there are any perfect answers for bikes with caravans. Ebikes are heavy for roof racks, and they can be clumbersome inside the caravan. It’s all a compromise.

Advertisers