Transporting your e-bike, any cheap option?

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hello lads,
I would like to get a rack or something to transport my ebike and a normal bike too.
The guy where I bought the bike is offering me the saris bones 2 for 80€ instead of 130-150€
However is was looking on the internet and the max load is 16kg my bike is about 19-20 with battery.
I have an old Nissan micra and I don't have the ball on the back. So my options are on the roof or on the back.
I would prefer at the back because is easier to load the bikes than putting on the top, but I read is better on the roof.
Any good option?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think you are not allowed to carry e-bikes on the roof of your car, normal bikes, yes, e-bikes, no.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Trex I believe you, with that car maybe the roof is breaking and my bike finish inside that car. Lol

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
I put mine in my cute little 1972 VW Camper if / when needed... :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Saris bone 2 is pretty strong. If you take off the battery, the bike should be quite light.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
My idea was to take the saris bone 3 which can hold 16kg more that way instead of 32kg can hold 48 and if I put my bike and her normal bike should be ok.
The bike is 20,5kg they say the battery bosch is 3,5kg? That would make 17..
Do you think is a big risk putting that weight and a normal bike on the bone 2?

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
I have the saris 3 and used to carry an optibike which was rather heavy,
What car do you have ?

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Yes I still with the micra..
The thing is saris bone 2 for 2 bikes will be enough or I should get the 3 just in case?
Any difference apart of the way they look between the bone2/3vs sentinel3vs porter3?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would prefer at the back because is easier to load the bikes than putting on the top, but I read is better on the roof.
Any good option?
There are roof-mounted bike carriers designed for bikes up to 20 Kgs although most are limited to 15 Kgs. I did find one last time I researched the matter that was good for 23 Kgs but I can't remember who produced it.

Obviously, for some people, hefting 18-20 Kgs up and into a roof bike carrier may not be advisable, indeed may not prove possible for some.

Tailgate or boot-mounted carriers are ok, weight limits adhered to, on metal-skinned frames but a growing number of modern cars use lightweight plastic-type materials in those areas and are deemed unsuitable for the mounting of bike carriers.

The best method involves a tow bar and ebike-specific carriers or a suitable trailer perhaps with a loading ramp. Not cheap though!

A transit-sized van works well!

Tom

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
I will check with the guy from the shop. I would prefer the saris bone 2 or some of the other cheapo ones.
If he tell me that is ok for the weight I will go for it, if not I will take the bone 3.
I know is 16kg per bar, but if I can put 32kg in the bone 2 and my bike is about 16-17.5 kg I don't know if will be too much to put another normal bike on it.
Thanks for the help lads :)

whereswally606

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 4, 2012
I bought a couple of bike carriers for a roof rack for my girlfriends car (my car is not the work horse) but then I modded the front part to have a clamp system to hold the maxles. They are both converted downhill frames, ones a Scott ransom the other a norco team race both with rear hub motors. Anyway I always take the battery off and the hub motors are only adding 5kg each. The setup was bomb proof when we took them around the Lake District. You should be able to do similar on top of a micra. And bikes aren't that heavy without the batteries.

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
Sorry to resurrect an old post but to the OP, did you manage to find a solution?
I ask because i will soon be in a similar dilemma with my small Vauxhall Corsa, Thule 591 roof rack and 20kg of electric bike. I believe the car and rack will take the weight but don't think I could!

Why are you not allowed to carry e-bikes on the roof of a car if it and te carrier can take the load?