Trek Cytronex - First Impressions.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Hmm... impressive!

Also impressive, ie., that the Panasonics will climb ANY gradient.
The thing is: Any gradient comfortably?
Or any gradient, but leaving the rider in a pool of sweat on the worst hills?

No, any hill comfortably. The problem is I always want to press on. Also the worst hill for me goes from one lane to three and then the left lane filters off left. Now would you rather do that at less than 9 mph - I can promise you that you will feel like a sitting duck? Personally I feel safer going as fast as possible as you stand a chance of getting into the middle lane without being run over.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
No, any hill comfortably. The problem is I always want to press on. Also the worst hill for me goes from one lane to three and then the left lane filters off left. Now would you rather do that at less than 9 mph - I can promise you that you will feel like a sitting duck? Personally I feel safer going as fast as possible as you stand a chance of getting into the middle lane without being run over.
Damn! 'No, any hill comfortably'. That still puts the Kalkhoff's in the frame for me, (and I did so want to rule out £1.5k bikes).

I take your point about safety concerns. I think the way other road users treat each other gets worse year on year, this week particularly I've suffered at the hands of otherwise civilised people who turn into monsters behind the wheel, that I have to admit - I just don't like people - period. They all turn the same behind the wheel; no matter how nice they are out of it, so for you on your trip it's an important consideration. In the meantime I'll probably be getting an AirZound horn for retaliatory defence - either that or a paintball gun strapped permanently to my handlebars!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Damn! 'No, any hill comfortably'. That still puts the Kalkhoff's in the frame for me, (and I did so want to rule out £1.5k bikes).

I take your point about safety concerns. I think the way other road users treat each other gets worse year on year, this week particularly I've suffered at the hands of otherwise civilised people who turn into monsters behind the wheel, that I have to admit - I just don't like people - period. They all turn the same behind the wheel; no matter how nice they are out of it, so for you on your trip it's an important consideration. In the meantime I'll probably be getting an AirZound horn for retaliatory defence - either that or a paintball gun strapped permanently to my handlebars!
It depends on where you live - do you really need to climb any hill? If you do then a pro-connect would be the answer. However there are plenty of people like me where the terrain is less severe and can make do with a hub motor like the nano - it takes the edge off the hills. Also it doesn't require you to put in much effort to get those 400 watts of power - the panasonics always require you to put in some work to liberate its 400 watts. I keep saying try before you buy - I was seduced by the cytronex on my test ride. As a keen cyclist you may also be seduced but then again only you can make that decision.