Trek powerfly 5 FS

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
I am almost at the point of getting this bike, for both road and off road use. Any thoughts or experience with this bike. I was going for the Trek powerfly 7 HT for £2800 but saw that you can get the Trek Powerfly 5 FS for £3000 slightly less spec though, will be for road and off road use.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
FS differently gives better ride, but with HT you can fit full mudguards which makes big difference when commuting in wet, plus option of 25kg racket and kick stand.
I am almost at the point of getting this bike, for both road and off road use. Any thoughts or experience with this bike. I was going for the Trek powerfly 7 HT for £2800 but saw that you can get the Trek Powerfly 5 FS for £3000 slightly less spec though, will be for road and off road use.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
FS differently gives better ride, but with HT you can fit full mudguards which makes big difference when commuting in wet, plus option of 25kg racket and kick stand.
Not sure the powerfly 7 HT has any eyelets for mud guards or rack

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I have a couple of FS bikes (non eBikes) and you can still fit mudguards, so no problem with commuting.

You say you are using it for commuting and off road, so I assume you won't be "downhilling" and giving it maximum abuse, so the slightly "inferior" components won't really matter

I have an eBike HT Cube reaction, and I love..... one small niggle, because I can now go farther higher and more off road, because it's an eBike... I wish I had bought a FS one. Just a thought.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Not sure the powerfly 7 HT has any eyelets for mud guards or rack
Powrrfly 7 comes with spare quick release seatpost collar that has attachment points. Best get shop to fit it as the dropper post has to be removed.

MR DAVID WHITE

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Hi all....just signed up so first post in here.

Nolan I was looking at the same options and considering a couple of other 2017 or 2018 deals too.

If you have a bike already you can get an extra 250 off the 2018 powerfly FS 5 from Evans I found. There was also an ex demo option which I have just ordered so I should be getting mine soon for 2395 (2195 as I get a £200 trade in on my old Focus fat boy).

I will let you know how I get on when I pick it up a week Thursday.

Cheers
Dave

Reactions: Nolan

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Hi all....just signed up so first post in here.

Nolan I was looking at the same options and considering a couple of other 2017 or 2018 deals too.

If you have a bike already you can get an extra 250 off the 2018 powerfly FS 5 from Evans I found. There was also an ex demo option which I have just ordered so I should be getting mine soon for 2395 (2195 as I get a £200 trade in on my old Focus fat boy).

I will let you know how I get on when I pick it up a week Thursday.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers Dave, I spoke with a manager of an Evans store about Cube hybrids and had always discounted them because of the word hybrid, however, he said that cube call all their ebikes hybrids. He also pointed me in the direction of the power fly 5 and said the 7 is not that my h better spec wise, good forks of the 5. Be good to know how you get on. I like the look of the 2019 powerfly 5 bright green, the battery is integrated.

MR DAVID WHITE

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Cheers Dave, I spoke with a manager of an Evans store about Cube hybrids and had always discounted them because of the word hybrid, however, he said that cube call all their ebikes hybrids. He also pointed me in the direction of the power fly 5 and said the 7 is not that my h better spec wise, good forks of the 5. Be good to know how you get on. I like the look of the 2019 powerfly 5 bright green, the battery is integrated.
I have seen some friends on very nice cube bikes (not electric assist) and they absolutely love them. I was quite keen on them too....just FYI there is a very nice carbon framed fs at leisure lakes for 3k that I was going to get, but the finance deal was 15% so I didn't bother. If you are a cash buyer then it might be a great option for you?

Not sure of the difference with a 2019 FS 5, but £600 would be a lot for the colour choice lol. It may even be worth finding an old bike for sale cheap to part exchange of you don't have one already then 2750 seems like a very good deal IMO.

Good luck and I'll keep you posted.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
I have seen some friends on very nice cube bikes (not electric assist) and they absolutely love them. I was quite keen on them too....just FYI there is a very nice carbon framed fs at leisure lakes for 3k that I was going to get, but the finance deal was 15% so I didn't bother. If you are a cash buyer then it might be a great option for you?

Not sure of the difference with a 2019 FS 5, but £600 would be a lot for the colour choice lol. It may even be worth finding an old bike for sale cheap to part exchange of you don't have one already then 2750 seems like a very good deal IMO.

Good luck and I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for heads up but have decided given the amount of commuting vs maintence HT will be best.

MR DAVID WHITE

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2018
I got the powerfly FS5 and took it out for a spin yesterday....first emtb ride and quite a few variables for me. Different brand (first Trek) also first full susser for me so will take a little getting used to.
Great fun and the rear suspension definitely helps with saddle soreness after being off bikes for years and not conditioned.
Nice uphill, I could get up almost anything (like revisiting my youth) and pretty capable downhill over rough terrain.
I definitely like it.... looking forward to a longer ride soon.

The downside is the Deore shifting.... I only had STX RC or XT before and this is inferior. It seems to get caught in 2 minds often and shifts up and down.

Related Articles

Advertisers