Trek powerfly 9 FS or Levo FSR comp - what would you go for?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
i think 30mph plus is enough, but was tempted by a new chip taking it to 48mph.
Pedalling a bicycle at 48mph is all but impossible.

Even with a 52t dinner plate front ring, you would need a cadence of about 140rpm.

Mr T

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 30, 2016
Lancs
Well i think i will be going with the Levo. It was a close call but the levo expert looks amazing and i like the fact that it rides more like a normal mountain bike. I have not ridden either so i hope i made the right choice!

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Well i think i will be going with the Levo. It was a close call but the levo expert looks amazing and i like the fact that it rides more like a normal mountain bike. I have not ridden either so i hope i made the right choice!
Think you made a wise choice then again I would do seeing as I have one

Humbucker

Jan 29, 2017
Lancashire
Hi.
I have the Levo Turbo Expert FSR and I love the bike even with the problems.
The bike is ridden on tricky trails with steep inclines with drop offs so the bike get used. I ride with two groups one on e mountain bikes and one group on standard top end Mountain bikes.
As I live in the north of England the trails are usually wet and there is lots of sandstone rocks and loads of mud.
Had the bike 7 months now, have the Garmin button to change modes and a Garmin 520 to tell me the speed, mileage, mode and battery charge.
I have a Mudhugger front mudguard, the bike was Invisiframed from new (definatley worth getting that done) and a short mudguard at the back to protect the bottom of the main frame. Every thing else is standard.
I have had issues with the bike but all sorted quickly including a new motor and a new battery after 600 miles. Have friends with both Yamaha and Bosch motors and they have had replacements. I think the problem with the motors are the seals on the main cranks are not up to the job for all MTB e bikes especially in difficult terrain. I have swopped bikes with my friends and they all love mine and so do I. If I had the choice again I would buy another but the manufactures need to sort out the seals to protect the bearings and the internal PCB in the motors. Hopefully we will be able to buy the spare parts required to fix them after the warranty has expired.
It definitely puts a smile on your face when riding it. The reason I ride one is due to damaged knee and takes the strain out of the steep climbs.
I have the settings on mine at 10% ECO - 30%Trail - 100% Turbo. Motor set at 100% power and acceleration set at ECO
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mr T and EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Do you have any pictures to show how the day underside / battery cover is holding up

Some say it's in direct line for stone damage be interesting to see how it looks with some use

How do you fine the range when out with others on the other ebikes

And would you say the 10% eco setting is like eco on the other bikes you ride with

Bosh and Yamaha give a lot bigger range when you look on sites for details
The Levo is a lot less but is it a more true range

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Enjoy your Levo it looks like a lovely bike.

Ref dongle and having assist up to 48mph, i have no intention in buying this dongle (due to safety), nor have i done the maths. However, i'm sure its achievable (without dinner plate). I achieved 40mph on my road bike on the flat (all be it some time ago and a top end road bike). Current set up is 18t front with 11t back and that gets me to 33mph on flat and i could do more with some additional assist and very high cadence.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think the problem with the motors are the seals on the main cranks are not up to the job for all MTB e bikes especially in difficult terrain. I have swopped bikes with my friends and they all love mine and so do I. If I had the choice again I would buy another but the manufactures need to sort out the seals to protect the bearings.
That is the kind of honesty that is really good to read. :)

Out of interest only and in no way looking to criticise or pass blame, how do you clean the area where the crank arm enters the motor, and which side is it that failed. I'm only asking, in case there is a way of preventing future failure for yourself and other Brose powered bike owners.

In respect of the Bosch motors, I learnt a very long time ago, that you clean the front sprocket area by hand only just using a cloth, with strictly no form of detergent or oil used.

edit.. Thinking about this subject further, outer bearing failure is quite a tricky one. In the case of a mid drive power unit, the motor is replacing what would be a conventional bottom bracket area, and thinking of how often that bottom bracket bearings have to be replaced on a conventional mtb when used in European winter conditions, I guess that it is hardly any surprise that the bearings on motors fail. I'm not saying that it is right, but it does give something to think about. Not the the end user should have to.

Last edited:

Humbucker

Jan 29, 2017
Lancashire
Do you have any pictures to show how the day underside / battery cover is holding up

Some say it's in direct line for stone damage be interesting to see how it looks with some use

How do you fine the range when out with others on the other ebikes

And would you say the 10% eco setting is like eco on the other bikes you ride with

Bosh and Yamaha give a lot bigger range when you look on sites for details
The Levo is a lot less but is it a more true range

The battery looked good even after the 600 miles its a complete assembly.
I have a new battery that was replaced under warranty due to a technical fault.
The range is good, I can do 30 miles on a good ride up and down hills using eco and trail. If you use turbo id say 20 miles.
Mine has the 500 watt motor and seems as good as the Bosch or the Yamaha. the good thing about the Levo is you can alter the power / sttings using the app

Humbucker

Jan 29, 2017
Lancashire
That is the kind of honesty that is really good to read. :)

Out of interest only and in no way looking to criticise or pass blame, how do you clean the area where the crank arm enters the motor, and which side is it that failed. I'm only asking, in case there is a way of preventing future failure for yourself and other Brose powered bike owners.

In respect of the Bosch motors, I learnt a very long time ago, that you clean the front sprocket area by hand only just using a cloth, with strictly no form of detergent or oil used.

edit.. Thinking about this subject further, outer bearing failure is quite a tricky one. In the case of a mid drive power unit, the motor is replacing what would be a conventional bottom bracket area, and thinking of how often that bottom bracket bearings have to be replaced on a conventional mtb when used in European winter conditions, I guess that it is hardly any surprise that the bearings on motors fail. I'm not saying that it is right, but it does give something to think about. Not the the end user should have to.
That was the exact question I asked quite a few shops before I bought the bike and none said it would be a problem.
I replaced my standard mountain bike bottom bracket at least twice a year. I am unsure which side the bearing fails as its hard to tell unless you strip the motor and that would lose the warranty.
Regards cleaning I rinse the wheels and frame with a hose pipe and then hand wash with warm soapy water then use the hose pipe on the shower setting to rinse off the soap. I then wipe it down with a micro fibre cloth and spray GT40 on all the linkages, forks, rear shock, seat post, chain, and down both sides of the crank. I then oil the chain and sprockets.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It might be prudent to keep the GT40 away from the pedal crank area.

I'm obviously not saying that it will help in the future, but at least it would eliminate the risk of the oil penetrating the seal and breaking down the grease.
I see no reason for you not spraying the GT40 onto a cloth and wiping things down though. :)

Good luck with the bike, and lets hope that you have no more issues. :)

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
The battery looked good even after the 600 miles its a complete assembly.
I have a new battery that was replaced under warranty due to a technical fault.
The range is good, I can do 30 miles on a good ride up and down hills using eco and trail. If you use turbo id say 20 miles.
Mine has the 500 watt motor and seems as good as the Bosch or the Yamaha. the good thing about the Levo is you can alter the power / sttings using the app
If you set them to the default setting What does it say for the range on a full charged battery and how much more does it got up reducing to the setting you use ?

Also EddiePJ
Can you do the same for the bosh on the 500w battery you have on its setting

Cheers ..

I do like how the Levo you can change it to what you like to extend it more.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm afraid that I have never taken any notice of the bikes predicted range settings, so I sadly can't answer that one for you.

As Steve has said, if you have Nyon then you can adjust the power settings to suit, which would I guess help with a bikes range, but I have no idea by how much though. All I do know is that I don't get any where close to the mileage range that some others claim to get, and that is from using both bikes.

• Informative
Reactions: Richard-Ebike

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Guess I will have to see how my ride goes and just tell my self I got the one I wanted based on its going to have to get me as far as it will go.

I know the range on the bosh I had for a day was a lot less than I have seen on the internet but did not know the age on the bike but expect some manufacturers will inflate them to make it look better (bit like car MPG)

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
next time you have it powered up and full let me know what it says on the screen.
Riding will change them and go up hills more so the range will drop.
Range is going to be down to ride and fitness but be nice to see what they say full and its own predictive range on screen

Just both bosh and Yamaha say a lot more than the Levo on paper to start with.

Sorry for been a pain but want to make sure I get the right bike.

Then all I will need is some more Ebike users my way or range will not be my problem as others will be not wanting to get out on longer trips

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ref dongle and having assist up to 48mph, i have no intention in buying this dongle (due to safety), nor have i done the maths. However, i'm sure its achievable (without dinner plate). I achieved 40mph on my road bike on the flat (all be it some time ago and a top end road bike). Current set up is 18t front with 11t back and that gets me to 33mph on flat and i could do more with some additional assist and very high cadence.
Your current gearing means a cadence of under 100rpm to get 33mph.

While the number 100 rolls off the tongue, it takes some doing to spin bicycle pedals that many times every minute - as you have discovered.

You have no chance of adding 40rpm to your current 'very high' cadence to reach 48mph, so a dinner plate (equivalent) gear would be required.

Depending on tyres, you might then get to 48mph at around 120rpm, even that is barely possible for us mere mortals.

The pro roadies routinely ride at about 90rpm, although Froome is known to spin a bit faster.

I believe his cadence was measured at around 95rpm when he famously span away from and 'broke' Contador on Mt Ventoux in the 2013 Tour de France.

Hours of fun to be had playing with a gear calculator, such as this one:

http://www.bikecalc.com/cadence_at_speed

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Some good points Rob. My understanding with the bosch motor is the gearing is 2.5x full circle and i believe bosch sell a 22t front ring x 10t rear cassette. High cadence, could get you well into the 40mph bracket for a time.

There are some forum members on other sites who have done this with video to match. Either way it's interesting, not something i will be doing.

Finally, not sure what size dinner plate you eat off but my Collage c59 certainly didn't have a dinner plate sized front ring! :)

Related Articles

Advertisers