Trekking/Touring Bike - preferably Bosch powered

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm looking to buy a touring/trekking bike this summer.

I like the look of the Haibike SDURO Trekking 4.0, but it's a little too pricey & Yamaha powered.

I've found some alternatives, but thought I'd throw the question open to the panel for suggestions.

Am I right to prefer Bosch over Yamaha?

I will probably be derestricting, so does that have a bearing?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm looking to buy a touring/trekking bike this summer.

I like the look of the Haibike SDURO Trekking 4.0, but it's a little too pricey & Yamaha powered.

I've found some alternatives, but thought I'd throw the question open to the panel for suggestions.

Am I right to prefer Bosch over Yamaha?

I will probably be derestricting, so does that have a bearing?
A Giant with Yamaha has a twin chainring option. You need that for touring where I live.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've not ridden either, just read that the Bosch is more powerful than the Yamaha PW.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Depends which Bosch and which Yamaha! Not much in it tbh. Yamaha gives instant power which helps with hill starts, Bosch supports slightly higher cadence unless the Yamaha is a PW-X.
Bosch you must use their batteries so if you want to increase range when touring you either need to carry a spare battery or get one of the few bikes that takes 2 batteries. Yamaha you can parallel any battery so long as the voltage is the same. This means lower discharge rates and less sag, you may not want to do this when the bike is under warranty.
Best to test ride both!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you want bike as quick commuter, hence derestricting then go for more powerful eMTB motors eg Bosch CX 75nm. For touring I'd go for something like Bosch Activeline Plus 50nm. Its quieter, more economical at cruising speeds 12-15mph, easier to ride unassisted.

Shimano Steps E6000 50nm motor is worth considering. Not as refined as Plus but better than CX for touring.

The 50nm motors with 20kg gear and 9spd gears should climb all but steepest hills with ease. A 10spd with 11-42t cassette would flatten even steepest hill.

If you towing trailer with more gear, then CX drive.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks for the advice, however, I think my raising the Yamaha v Bosch question has distracted from the main question: i.e. which trekking bike. Are Ortler any good? I have found some of their bikes relatively cheaply...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks for the advice, however, I think my raising the Yamaha v Bosch question has distracted from the main question: i.e. which trekking bike. Are Ortler any good? I have found some of their bikes relatively cheaply...
Not really stated want you plan to do with bike.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
It will be a dual purpose bike, mainly a commuter, but also a longer-distance touring machine, quite laden with camping stuff. I have an eMTB, so I want something more suited to the task.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It will be a dual purpose bike, mainly a commuter, but also a longer-distance touring machine, quite laden with camping stuff. I have an eMTB, so I want something more suited to the task.
So a double chainwheel would be of use. I have only seen the Giants in the flesh and I would have had one of those myself but I have gone to the Dark Side...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I try for something that allows you to use your eMTB battery as a spare. What motor and battery does it use?.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
There is an Ortler Bozen Performance with a Bosch Perfomance drive for £1679. Seems like a good deal for that drive. Decent spec too. I've not heard of the make before though. Any thoughts? The Haibike Trekking 4.0 with a Yamaha drive is significantly more. The Ortler has a 500w battery, the Haibike 400.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The Oxygen battery is a Das-Kit one with the controller built into the frame mount, so using it is not an option, unfortunately.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've never heard of Ortler, but - like the UK used to be - there are still lots of small makers in Germany.

No reason to think the Ortler won't be as good as the better-known makes.

In Bosch bike terms, it's a bit 'last year' in that the battery is just plonked on the downtube.

Newer design Bosch bikes have various degrees of battery integration, but the lack of that explains the Ortler's lower price.

Cube/Bosch bikes are of more modern design and are good value, so worth a look at them.

Loads on the website, although how many of those are available to buy is another question.

https://www.ortler-rad.at/kategorie/elektrofahrraeder/

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union