Troubleshooting a raleigh velo trail..... Help

Ruth

Just Joined
Jul 17, 2018
In need of advice as complete beginner to e bikes.
I have a raleigh velo trail which my father in law bought 4 years ago and he only did 7 hours total on it.
When battery is fully charged it will only do 3 km before the controller drops to one bar then 1 km later it goes off completely and battery totally dead (which is what I feel like after cycling home).
Battery voltage showed 40v before I set off, nothing on return which would indicate battery needs replaced however just want to know if there are known problems or anything I should check that could be draining battery before I invest in a new one?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
batts dont like not being used and charged now and then so as its been 4 years the batt has had it thus why it charges and goes flat in no time with massive voltage sag when trying to use it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep most likely the battery is done for use them or loose them.
Lithium doesn't like to be left fully charged, something to do with the ions, when not in use they need to be at a storage charge 37- 38.5v is good.

40V means most likely one of the cell groups are dead or very low voltage wise, it is remotely possible it might be salvageable.
If you or someone else is willing to open the battery up we can direct you on what to check with a volt meter to
see if there is any hope.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Worth giving Jimmy at Insat Int. a call to recell your battery. He has a great reputation and offers a good service collecting your battery and then returning it to you. He will be able to fit larger capacity cells and the cost will prob. be the same if not cheaper than a new one.

https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/recelling/

Ruth

Just Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Yep most likely the battery is done for use them or loose them.
Lithium doesn't like to be left fully charged, something to do with the ions, when not in use they need to be at a storage charge 37- 38.5v is good.

40V means most likely one of the cell groups are dead or very low voltage wise, it is remotely possible it might be salvageable.
If you or someone else is willing to open the battery up we can direct you on what to check with a volt meter to
see if there is any hope.
Hi, I have braved the opening of the battery however any tips as to how to get it out the case??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic or two Ruth.