Trying out Velocious

Si & his Velocious Herts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2015
I've been looking at electric bikes now for about 3 months and was keen to try some at the London Bike Show last weekend. I am looking to commute about 7 miles along a disused railway line now turned into a cycle track/walkway. At first I found it quite confusing as to what bike to look at (I'm still not absolutely sure I have it right), but the commuting bikes were often also called city bikes, which wasn't what I was looking for at all, surely there should be a 'tow path' style bike as there must be a huge number of people who don't want to cycle on the roads at all.
When I arrived at Excel, I was immediately attracted to the new e-motion range and had a go with their rear wheel driven torque sensing models - I liked them a lot and I could see the benefit of the torque sensors giving you a natural feel and a proportionate reward for pedalling hard - the sticking point for me was the £2k asking price, particularly when I was considering the cycle to work scheme (£1k limit), I was about committed to spending much more than I had hoped (after trying and liking the A2B range and getting by with, but not falling in love with the Cyclotricity range, when luckily I spotted the Velocious stand, a brand new company (yes I know - untried and untested) with a full range of bikes all at half price for the show. My wife daughter and I all had a go on the Harmony (okay - the name sounds very female, but it doesn't look it, and fortunately there is no name on it except Velocious), I have bought one at £599 as it was as good as any of the other rotational sensor type bikes to ride, they are also based in Tottenham (as near to me as any other manufacturer/assembler) and the bike looks and feels as good as others I tried at over 3 times the price. I will keep you posted on how I get on as I will start commuting as soon as the frost disappears (I know, I'm a complete wimp!) and I have replaced the tyres with puncture resistant ones (why don't they include them as standard, none of them do under £2k?)

If anyone else has taken the plunge with Velocious I would be fascinated to hear how they get on...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum.
You did well with that bike. Nice design, excellent buy.
For those who may be interested in Velocious, here is the link to their website:

http://velocious.myshopify.com/pages/our-ebikes

BTW, all woosh bikes are under £1,000 and come with kevlar puncture resist tyres as standard.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Si you will have to do a reveiw at one week,month and year. The bikes look quite distinctive and the price you paid was excellent.

Si & his Velocious Herts

Feb 17, 2015
Thanks for your positive response guys (and uploading the link, trex!) - Yes I did look at Whoosh bikes and the Zephyr-B did catch my eye for it's fold-ability, large wheels and hidden battery - probably would have gone for one had they had a stand at the show where I could have tried one out - trex, now you're gonna tell me they did!

Just been to see Flat Earth (theflatearth.co.uk/) in Codicote (Near Old Welwyn) to check over what support they could offer me - very helpful and knowledgeable - they really like the E-Motion range as I did - suggested I tried things out first before investing any further - so the puncture resistant tyres will have to wait :confused:

I am still waiting for delivery of my Velocious Harmony (due in the next couple of days) - so I'll tell you how that went when it arrives... :D

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Harmony looks gorgeous with that downtube battery.
Looking forward to reading your review

Si & his Velocious Herts

Feb 17, 2015
The bike arrived yesterday, bang on time with an advance phone call to ensure I was in -- all good, so far.
Harmony e bike in packaging.JPG
It took about an hour to put together, but only because I was being careful - all in good condition, despite the delivery guy ignoring the 'keep upright' arrows and delivering it on its end! There were no specific 'assembly' instructions although there were other instructions for the battery and maintenance. Fitting the mudguard and front light was most problematic as the cable to the front light was short and pulled out of the light when the wheel was turned to the right, by attaching the light to the back of the fork this was overcome, so only a minor niggle...Everything else was working perfectly, I have only had a test ride so far around the block - but very please with it.
Just out of interest - what would you expect as proof of warranty? - any paperwork?, I have queried this with them but had nothing back as yet as I was told I had a 2 year warranty on the battery and a 5 year warranty on the motor...o_O

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you bought the bike directly from the importer, they have your details. If you sell it on, you'll pass on your invoice to the next owner.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
An invoice - or even credit card receipt - should be sufficient for the warranty.

Edit: Crossed post with trex.

Si & his Velocious Herts

Feb 17, 2015
Thanks for the advice re the warranty trex & RobF.
Update for you:

I have been cycling into work now for 2 solid weeks. The route through the woods is as good as I hoped, however the standard tyres that come with the bike really weren't up to the task - two punctures later and I have swapped them for Schwalbe (I can't spell!) Kevlar puncture resistant ones - they give a firmer ride, but is nice to know that you will definitely arrive at work on time!
I have noticed that I really don't need gears - well the ones that are fitted to the bike anyway - they are too low really so as a result I sit in the top gear most of the time - I have been advised to vary this a little to prevent undue wear on the one gear wheel, but I could really do with one or two much higher gears so that my feet don't end up spinning and I look like some 8 year old on a bike that he's 3 years too old for! (I'm exaggerating a bit - but you get my point - when I hit a hill, I keep my speed relatively constant, but just up the assistance level). It really does lead me to think that the future is in internal gears, belts rather than chains and many more assistance levels (this bike has 3, which is fine, but a few more wouldn't go amiss)
All in all I am really looking forward to my cycling every day. Sneaking up on foxes and deer and rabbits in the wood is great, far more enjoyable that following the back of an X5 trying to squeeze past the parked cars on the narrow lanes around my area. I have spoken to several bike shop owners and I am really surprised at how they really aren't seeing the potential of these bikes for the mass market - I think they have been turned off by dealing with early versions of these beasts (one actually mentioned lead acid batteries to me!) and the ensuing maintenance problems.
Here's a question - can anyone recommend a good iPhone app for logging miles, cadence etc. I would like to ensure I know exactly how far I have ridden in a few month's time. So far I reckon I have clocked up about 170 miles over the last couple of weeks - not far I know but much further than I have ever traveled on a bike before - but that's the point isn't it - you want to use it!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You have a couple of possible options for ranging the gearing.

A smaller cog on the back, although it may be you already have the smallest - some teeth counting needed.

It looks like your bike may have six speeds, which is not very common but at least it's a Shimano part.

With that in mind, it might be possible to upgrade to seven or even eight gears.

That, in turn, might need a change of handlebar shifter.

A bigger ring on the front could prove to be simpler to fit.

The spec says 44t, and you could get a 48 or 50.

Changing the big ring introduces you to the world of BCD - bolt circle diameter.

It is likely yours is one for which different sized rings are available, but if you are unlucky, it will be an odd dimension only used by one factory in Ying Tong province for one week last August.

Fit of the chain guard will also need to be considered, as will lengthening the chain.

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/pages/how-to-measure-bolt-circle-diameter-bcd

Stevie Atkinson

Oct 17, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've been looking at electric bikes now for about 3 months and was keen to try some at the London Bike Show last weekend. I am looking to commute about 7 miles along a disused railway line now turned into a cycle track/walkway. At first I found it quite confusing as to what bike to look at (I'm still not absolutely sure I have it right), but the commuting bikes were often also called city bikes, which wasn't what I was looking for at all, surely there should be a 'tow path' style bike as there must be a huge number of people who don't want to cycle on the roads at all.
When I arrived at Excel, I was immediately attracted to the new e-motion range and had a go with their rear wheel driven torque sensing models - I liked them a lot and I could see the benefit of the torque sensors giving you a natural feel and a proportionate reward for pedalling hard - the sticking point for me was the £2k asking price, particularly when I was considering the cycle to work scheme (£1k limit), I was about committed to spending much more than I had hoped (after trying and liking the A2B range and getting by with, but not falling in love with the Cyclotricity range, when luckily I spotted the Velocious stand, a brand new company (yes I know - untried and untested) with a full range of bikes all at half price for the show. My wife daughter and I all had a go on the Harmony (okay - the name sounds very female, but it doesn't look it, and fortunately there is no name on it except Velocious), I have bought one at £599 as it was as good as any of the other rotational sensor type bikes to ride, they are also based in Tottenham (as near to me as any other manufacturer/assembler) and the bike looks and feels as good as others I tried at over 3 times the price. I will keep you posted on how I get on as I will start commuting as soon as the frost disappears (I know, I'm a complete wimp!) and I have replaced the tyres with puncture resistant ones (why don't they include them as standard, none of them do under £2k?)

If anyone else has taken the plunge with Velocious I would be fascinated to hear how they get on...
Hi,I bought the Velocious Conquer it's a brilliant ebike, but unfortunately after a couple of years the battery died ,im finding it very difficult to get another battery pack for my Velocious bike. My bike has a 36v 10ah lithium ion battery pack. The company no longer exists. If you or anyone knows where to get replacement battery pack for this Velocious Conquer bike let me know.
stevie_ a58@yahoo.co.uk
My thanks. Stevie.

D

Deleted member 4366

Please show a photo of the complete bike plus another one or more of the battery. It's impossible to advise you if you don't show us what you have.

Stevie Atkinson

Oct 17, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
Please show a photo of the complete bike plus another one or more of the battery. It's impossible to advise you if you don't show us what you have.

Attachments