Turbo Levo Brose Motor Problem help...

nickruss_wales

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2016
Cardiff
Help! I have a Turbo Levo HT Fat based in the UK.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their motor cutting out (and staying off)?

I took it to my local Specialized dealer who:

- updated the software on battery and motor to version 4
- replaced the power / battery cable as a precaution
- cleaned the contacts of the motor and some signs of damp.

This got it working again, but after around 30km of riding the motor does not work again. The only thing is that on both occasions, the roads were very wet but I'd expect it to be well sealed...

The Mission Control app connects to the battery, but does not report motor stats. I tried cleaning the magnet sensor and the plug to the battery was dry.

Daviehfc

Just Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Yes I had the same problem they replaced the speed sensor done 200 miles since no problems apparently it was the first time this has happened to one of the new range my bike is the levo ht 6 fattie.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
No real problems with mine... but I've not been on it for a few months due to house move and new baby!

I understand there is something you can get your dealer to fit to more effectively dissipate the heat from the motor, in case it's a heat build up causing the issues. However, those heat issues typically result in the motor feeling weaker for a short while, not failing.

A wet road should not cause this - maybe give the dealer another chance then request a new motor if the issue persists?

Out of interest, where did you buy your bike! I didn't realise you could get the HT Fat in the UK...

Amstuartc

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2017
Hertfordshire
Hi All
I have had a Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie for @ 6 months and done @ 300 miles and now all of a sudden my motor has failed totally. The bike has been back at the shop I purchased it from for over 2 weeks and no word of fix from Specialized either, with plenty of "Diagnostic Kit" checking too. I recently ordered a 504Wh spare Battery so I had another one and went for 34T chainring upgrade too, but waiting to get the power issue sorted. Hopefully it will be OK when and if they finally do upgrade my Motor and original battery to the new firmware etc.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
TWO WEEKS !! and no word.

Give the shop a shout out on here and see if a bit of publicity helps get their act together.

Specialized won't hurt to have a mention again.

That is a lot of money you are spending.

• Agree
Reactions: chris130256
D

Deleted member 4366

I think many of you are very naieve about how these sort of repairs work. Most ebike shops wouldn't have a clue about any electrical problem. They ring up the help-line and describe the symptoms. Having tried to help hundreds of people on the forum, I can tell you that the chance of them describing the problem accurately is not very high. Based on what the bike shop says, the help-line tells them what to check, so there's a bit of to-ing and fro-ing until both parties agree that there's an actual fault, so the bike has to be sent somewhere for a closer look and a repair. i wouldn't expect that to happen in less than two weeks - maybee as long as 4 weeks.

If you don't believe me, go into your nearest ebike shop and ask them what the speed sensor connector looks like in whichever bike. I'm not saying all bike shops are like that, but I'm sure that the majority are.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
very naieve
Fing furious more like !

Just remind yourself the Thousands of pounds involved here.

The poor (disgusting) communication from the shop is first signalled by not even a quick call.

The least they can do is keep you in the loop.

You need to get down there and scream, very loudly.

Let us know which dealer it is so we can keep away.

Cohny

Apr 16, 2017
Kendal
First posted this in a new thread. Soundwave sent me a link to this thread

Anyway just recently I've had problems with the motor on my 7 month old Specialized Turbo Levo FSR. It started off cutting out intermittently but it has now packed in totally. I have two batteries and the problem occurs whichever battery I'm using, so it's fair to rule out a battery issue. I've checked the wiring that connects the battery to the motor and that seems fine.

It's now with my local bike shop to carry out some diagnostics?

I'll keep you posted with progress

• Informative
Reactions: chris130256

ukmarcel

Jan 15, 2017
Cheshire
Any progress? I started to have the same kind of problem with mine. It stopped after 15 miles. I can turn off the motor, ride without for a mile and when I start again it is good for one minute and stops again.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Like the look of Levo, but heard they were having some software glitches, hence went with haibike xduro for Bosch motor. Not saying Bosch don't have issues, but they seem the better of the bunch imho.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Cohny

Apr 16, 2017
Kendal
Any progress? I started to have the same kind of problem with mine. It stopped after 15 miles. I can turn off the motor, ride without for a mile and when I start again it is good for one minute and stops again.

Not yet, I took it to the local dealer (Evans Cycles) none of their mechanics have been trained on ebikes yet?! Looks like it's going to be a slow process - will keep you posted

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they will have to change the motor as none can be serviced buy a dealer they cant even remove the cover to see inside.;)

Cohny

Apr 16, 2017
Kendal
they will have to change the motor as none can be serviced buy a dealer they cant even remove the cover to see inside.;)
Correct, that's exactly what they've done. Plus cable replacement.

Picking it up tomorrow will report on how it performs. Good service in the end but remain concerned about the motor's ability to survive the rigours of Lake District MTB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Correct, that's exactly what they've done. Plus cable replacement.

Picking it up tomorrow will report on how it performs. Good service in the end but remain concerned about the motor's ability to survive the rigours of Lake District MTB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let us know how you get on with motor!

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
It has - all working well at the moment. The old motor lasted 6 months so I remain concerned over there resilience
Do you know what the problem was?

Related Articles

Advertisers