Two new Woosh bikes are on the way

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
we keep spare tyres but I must say, 26 x 3 (or 72-559) tyres are difficult to find.
I only found one other supplier on ebay so far:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152288937417

There are more in 60-559 and of course 100-559.

Will look into other widths.
At £70 I won't be buying those. So why doesn't Kenda list the 3" on their website or are the tyres on the Rio FB a Chinese copy? I didn't think there would be a problem getting tyres for the Rio when I decided to buy. Oops.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Kenda makes tyres in China. That's why there are more choices there.
Tyres for fat or snow bikes are more expensive and also there are less choices, especially for the 3" width. From the big boys, Vee rubber make 26 x 3, Schwalbe make only 3" wide for 650B rims.
Schwalbe Jumbo Jim, Maxxis, Continental 26 x 4 fat tyres are all £60+.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Richard,

With hindsight, I should have thought of fitting the more popular 4" tyres than 3". I chose 3" tyres because 3" tyres run quieter on made roads.
The cost is approximately the same, the price of replacement tyres are all in the region of £50-£65 apiece for both 3" and 4" tyres.
you can buy the same 3" tyres from us when you need them at lesser cost than from ebay.
You can also use 4" tyres on the FB if you wish.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Yes, that's all well and good, but I want puncture protection and compared to the slightly thinner tyres like the Schwalbe Big Apple Performance RaceGuard 2.15 they are expensive. Will 2.15" fit ok on a 39mm rim? I think it might.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it would fit but it may look wrong though.
I have ordered some puncture proof tyres, they should arrive next Monday.
I'll post some pictures.

Reactions: richardg6paj

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
You can also use 4" tyres on the FB if you wish.

I've been following the info about the FB and that other one likely to appear soonish a few weeks thinking about getting one or the other in a while.

The tyre choices were a factor- I'm not exactly enamoured with spending 120 quid on a set of tyres but that's not your fault - when you say you can use 4" tyres if you wish does that include leaving the mudguards and rack on?

(I assumed so, but after speaking to someone else- thought I might try and clarify - might make a difference to my final choice)

Edit: I also assumed if I chose the maxdrive the best mudguards and rack I'd be able to add would be those plastic ones and a seatpost rack, can't see any attach points on it

Look, I'm weird. Want a fatbike commuter with 80nm torque XD

Last edited:

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I've been following the info about the FB and that other one likely to appear soonish a few weeks thinking about getting one or the other in a while.

The tyre choices were a factor- I'm not exactly enamoured with spending 120 quid on a set of tyres but that's not your fault - when you say you can use 4" tyres if you wish does that include leaving the mudguards and rack on?

(I assumed so, but after speaking to someone else- thought I might try and clarify - might make a difference to my final choice)

Edit: I also assumed if I chose the maxdrive the best mudguards and rack I'd be able to add would be those plastic ones and a seatpost rack, can't see any attach points on it

4" tyres won't fit the Rio FB in so many ways, so would have to be a new bike me thinks. I would rather go the smaller route where there is a greater selection of tyres. I think I made a mistake buying the FB although I love it, it's the tyres that let it down for me. (no pun intended) :).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's what I am hoping for the FB, to be a tough commuter bike in all weather and a fun bike at weekend.
The production cost of the MaxDrive powered fat bike (arriving Aug 16th) being nearly double that of the G6 FB makes it very difficult to tempt commuters.
We had a small number of G6 FBs fitted wth 4" tyres, they were the same bike, except for the wheelset, same rack, same mudguards. They were sold nearly immediately to callers.
Due to lengthy schedule at the Tianjin factory and lack of space in Southend, we won't have the G6 FB with 4" tyres until next March.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
4" tyres won't fit the Rio FB in so many ways, so would have to be a new bike me thinks. I would rather go the smaller route where there is a greater selection of tyres. I think I made a mistake buying the FB although I love it, it's the tyres that let it down for me. (no pun intended) :).
Surely getting a new bike is more expensive than new tyres? Plus the loss when selling your old one. Can understand you're being annoyed but don't go cutting off your nose to spite your face.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Surely getting a new bike is more expensive than new tyres? Plus the loss when selling your old one. Can understand you're being annoyed but don't go cutting off your nose to spite your face.
No, I'm not annoyed, like I said I love the bike it's excellent value, not knocking Woosh either a great company to deal with. It's just that I want and need puncture resistant tyres and I want to be able to go to my local bike store/shop and buy a set of tyres of the shelf so to speak, at a reasonable price, and in that respect, I think I've slipped up, HeyHo! such is life.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
We had a small number of G6 FBs fitted with 4" tyres, they were the same bike, except for the wheelset, same rack, same mudguards. They were sold nearly immediately to callers.
How do you get 4" tyres to fit when the front forks measure less than 4". And the mudguards are only 3" across making them ineffective with 4" tyres on surely. Would love to see pictures with 4" tyres. Not disbelieving you, just curious.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't have one in the shop right now, so can't double check the fork width for you.
Here is a picture of the same FB fitted with 4" tyres that I had earlier.

PS:

Richard, I think you are correct.

The forkwidth looks like 120mm on this picture:

They were the first batch to arrive, and were sold at £949 in our shop because the brakes were mechanical and the crankset was cheaper.
They sold out when the FB with 3" tyres arrived.

Last edited:

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I don't have one in the shop right now, so can't double check the fork width for you.
Here is a picture of the same FB fitted with 4" tyres that I had earlier.

PS:

Richard, I think you are correct.

The forkwidth looks like 120mm on this picture:

They were the first batch to arrive, and were sold at £949 in our shop because the brakes were mechanical and the crankset was cheaper.
They sold out when the FB with 3" tyres arrived.

The rims are wider as well as the mudguards.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The rims are wider as well as the mudguards.
You are correct again.
I remember now, I did take pictures of the two rims to post on pedelecs, but can't find the pic of the 4" wide wheel at the moment.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Well I have been most of the day searching the internet for alternative tires with puncture protection and the closest I've got is a Schwalbe Smart Sam with Greenguard Protection measuring 26 x 2.25, cost £24. And that's it, I can't find anything any closer. :(