Two new Woosh bikes are on the way

Marc12345

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2017
Tadworth
They look good Mr. Woosh. ;) The rims don't seem too wide for the tires?
Is the OD smaller or about the same, will they affect the speedometer "calibration"? I think I may treat the bike to some. Just one other question, did you use the same tubes or do we need new tubes? I'm guessing Schwalbe Big Apple would be ok as well.

Hi richard, another one i found good reviews and cheap and only 5 dollars shipping https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Flame-Cruiser-Tire-Black/dp/B000AO5IN0

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Er, that's a 20" tyre so will be a bit of a tight fit.
Sunlite also do 26 x 3 inch tyres but they are rather expensive.

I have to re-order the Rio FB next week. Would you suggest I should fit 4" tyres to the FB?
I am happy with the present format because you can fit 2.35" balloon tyres in place of the 3" fat tyres but I have to be guided by customers feedback.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I'm still in a quandary over this. The tires you have tried seem to fit ok, they look ok, they have puncture protection, but they have a mountain bike tread pattern and am just wondering how well these tyres will last on the road. I'm still interested in the Schwalbe Big Apple with race guard protection. I just don't know what to do at the moment. I would say that the Rio FB should be fitted with slightly thinner rims if that is possible which would give more choice of tyre. I can't believe in this day and age that bicycle punctures are still a problem and the biggest culprit is a Thorn. Amazing! I've just replaced the seat on my Rio as the one it came with is not pleasant, to say the least, might as well just sit on the post. :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
seats are easy, we can fit any style of seat, we sometimes forget to ask customers what the want to sit on.
I think filling with slime may be a solution against thorns.
I will test the FB with Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus 26 x 2.25 next week.
They have green guard.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
seats are easy, we can fit any style of seat, we sometimes forget to ask customers what the want to sit on.
They have green guard.
Smart Sams are designed for the job, the Plus will be a bit tougher so you can't go wrong there.

I would stop selling/recommending the Kenda Kniption you've mentioned a few times.

Once again, it's a BMX tyre, Kenda say it's for 'urban assault and skate park' use.

It is 26", so we are not talking five-year-old children, but it is designed for the average teenager who is much lighter than some of the, er, well made gents on here.

Not a suitable tyre, arguably dangerous, for an ebike which is twice the weight of a BMX jump bike.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/bmx-street-park/kiniption/

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Smart Sams are designed for the job, the Plus will be a bit tougher so you can't go wrong there.

I would stop selling/recommending the Kenda Kniption you've mentioned a few times.

Once again, it's a BMX tyre, Kenda say it's for 'urban assault and skate park' use.

It is 26", so we are not talking five-year-old children, but it is designed for the average teenager who is much lighter than some of the, er, well-made gents on here.

Not a suitable tyre, arguably dangerous, for an e-bike which is twice the weight of a BMX jump bike.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/bmx-street-park/kiniption/
I agree with you Rob, the Sam Plus will do the business and are reasonably priced with good puncture protection. The only thing that bothers me is the width of the Rim on the Rio FB. Also, the Kenda Kniption you linked to is only a 2.3" width tyre, I can't find the 3" version anywhere. I hope the Sam Plus will be ok on the rims as they are just what I'm looking for.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Good morning Richard,

As you already pointed out, the fork width is currently 100mm, 4" tyres will require 120mm fork.
If I keep the 100mm fork, customers can use 2.35" tyres in place of the 3" fat tyres.
If I go for 120mm fork on the next batch, Sam Plus won't fit because the rim is wider.
If I keep the 100mm fork, I have to fit 3" fat tyres.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
Good morning Richard,

As you already pointed out, the fork width is currently 100mm, 4" tyres will require 120mm fork.
If I keep the 100mm fork, customers can use 2.35" tyres in place of the 3" fat tyres.
If I go for 120mm fork on the next batch, Sam Plus won't fit because the rim is wider.
If I keep the 100mm fork, I have to fit 3" fat tyres.
If I were you I would stay well away from 4" tyres. It's not just the forks what about the back end and also the mudguards. As you say the Rims are too wide for anything but 4" Tyres. Narrower rims would be the way to go in my opinion. And I'm liking the Sam Plus Tyres at the moment.

MG.

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2017
Fleetwood
New here with a Rio FB on the way tomorrow. My first electric bike. I was looking at doing a conversion but decided I want to keep my current bike as it is. Hopefully this should fit the bill for what I need. Which for the most part is a 16 mile round trip commute. I did look at the Rio MTB but the proper mudguards and included rack swung it for me.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
They have green guard.
Any Updates on the Smart Sam Plus Tyres?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the parcel got lost.
I am chasing CRC now.
Yodel still have it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
here is the FB wheel with Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus inflated to 40 psi:

Smart Sam Plus has green guard puncture protection.
I think it's still wise to fill it with slime to be on the safe side.
That makes the FB quite suitable for deliveroos!
The smaller tyres make the wheel diameter about 2/3 in smaller than with the supplied 3" Kiniption.

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
here is the FB wheel with Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus inflated to 40 psi:

Smart Sam Plus has green guard puncture protection.
I think it's still wise to fill it with slime to be on the safe side.
That makes the FB quite suitable for deliveroos!
The smaller tyres make the wheel diameter about 2/3 in smaller than with the supplied 3" Kiniption.
They look fine, I will get a pair. Did you use the same tube? Thanks for trying.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I kept the same tubes.
They actually look quite good on the bike, albeit make the bike into a kind of 'plus' bike instead of fat bike.

BTW, the FB6 with Bafang MaxDrive 330 arrived this morning. Will take it out for a spin this afternoon.

Reactions: richardg6paj

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
In my opinion, the FB should have strong, double walled rims capable of fitting normal 26x4 fatbike tyres. Expensive yes, but the tread will last for thousands of miles. Would fully recommend Slime, you could sell your offroad bikes with a bottle for a little more money or prefill the tyres for the customer as it can get a little messy if you're not familiar with it.
For people who ride mainly on road with some rough paths and a bit off offroad, the Rio is for them. If they just want a fatbike for the style, may as well equip it with some heavy duty rims and tyres. Cant imagine many people would commute on one.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Must add it was probably my fault for creating the whole rim/tyre concern lol. The Rio is perfect for my needs though, I made the right choice. The tyres on the Rio are pretty good, not the grippiest but the tread seems to last well, and with slime not had a puncture in almost 700 miles. No bent/loose rims or spokes either, the double wall was a big plus for me.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
I have the Fat Six in stock for pure fun!

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/first-look-at-the-new-woosh-fb-six.28010/

All the techs love it!
Andy is on holiday next week, so no manual, no web page for it until 1st September.
If I was made of money i'd have that. Though it looks pretty small, never used a crank drive. I'd just put those tyres and rims on the normal FB just a bigger size and inflate the price accordingly. I'd assume most who buy a FB want to give it a bit of a rough life, so big FB tyres and strong rims would suit it well and would handle the abuse.
However unless you ride on the beach to work every day, i'm not sure what use a FB is in this country, not as a commuter anyway