TWO YEAR OLD GOOD BATTERY NOT IN USE.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello to you all,

I have a good 48v battery sitting in doors having nothing to do. I was wondering is it possible to run a fan blow heater from this pack? Will I need to buy a step up or step down convertor of such?

Remember, safety comes first therefore if this is not a wise thing or idea please do not hesitate to express your thoughts.

If possible, what should be my next step/s :)

MS.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hello to you all,

I have a good 48v battery sitting in doors having nothing to do. I was wondering is it possible to run a fan blow heater from this pack? Will I need to buy a step up or step down convertor of such?

Remember, safety comes first therefore if this is not a wise thing or idea please do not hesitate to express your thoughts.

If possible, what should be my next step/s :)

MS.
The important thing in a battery is how much energy it has stored. Lets assume your battery at 48v stores 10 amp hrs of energy. Then its total power output is 480 watt hrs of energy. . A single bar electric fire is typically 1000 watts , so even if you managed to drive all the energy into such a heater, it would give you half an hours service.
Unfortunately a domestic heater is designed to work at 220v not 48v.
The best way to make a heater would be to use either car or truck headlamp bulbs . . The standard H11 car type wants a supply of 12 v accross it and will generate a heat of 55watts. They draw a current if about 5 amps if the voltage is 12v. If you connected 4 of these in series .. head to toe and applied the 48v accross the combination , you would get .. a lot of light and 220watts of light\ heat and a 10 amphr battery would last 2 hours.... Truck lamps work on 24volt so you would need two in series not 4 .. i dont know the power rating..if you wanted a blower, you could connect a 12v computer fan in parallel accross one of the 12v bulbs.. if you dont want the light, then just enclose the menagarie in aluminum foil ..

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The important thing in a battery is how much energy it has stored. Lets assume your battery at 48v stores 10 amp hrs of energy. Then its total power output is 480 watt hrs of energy. . A single bar electric fire is typically 1000 watts , so even if you managed to drive all the energy into such a heater, it would give you half an hours service.
Unfortunately a domestic heater is designed to work at 220v not 48v.
The best way to make a heater would be to use either car or truck headlamp bulbs . . The standard H11 car type wants a supply of 12 v accross it and will generate a heat of 55watts. They draw a current if about 5 amps if the voltage is 12v. If you connected 4 of these in series .. head to toe and applied the 48v accross the combination , you would get .. a lot of light and 220watts of light\ heat and a 10 amphr battery would last 2 hours.... Truck lamps work on 24volt so you would need two in series not 4 .. i dont know the power rating..if you wanted a blower, you could connect a 12v computer fan in parallel accross one of the 12v bulbs.. if you dont want the light, then just enclose the menagarie in aluminum foil ..
Nice one Danidl, for taking the time out by explaining to me and to others who may or not be interested. Cheers. have a nice day.

MS.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Hi grldtnr, your right which also would have lead to my next question for the on board coffee maker.
LeighPing, would definitely be interested in this one. :p

Woz only joshing, MS, didn't think your serious about that, why not just turn the motor off ,then pedal like bu##ery to keep warm?

MS.