Tyre advice please

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
I have a Haibike hardseven that I was riding quite quickly around Bedgbury today and in the mud I had the front tyre slide away from me a few times (even fell off once). The single tracks are hard in places and I had grip there but on the mud the std tyres were not good, the rear was spinning quite a bit as well.

Can anyone recomend a tyre for these conditions, should I go smaller than the 2.25 that's on it?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What's on it at present?

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Excellent. Ask your legs and arms if you have been cheating.....
We only did two laps ,20 miles but in 1hr 40mins. I'm much to old for that.
So much fun though made me feel like I was 20 again

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarabee

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
So much fun though made me feel like I was 20 again
Welcome to why we are here.

The main thing is you were out for two hours enjoying yourself.

You would be well served by just replacing the front tyre to really help.

In proper mud you are always going to slip and slide, better tyres just make you more sure footed.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Schwalbe but not sure what model and my legs are to nackered to go look, sorry. I think Rapid rob
Rapid Robs are a good, general, knobbly tyre.

As said, you will get more grip from something more aimed at mountain biking, such as Magic Mary.

However. more grip equals softer compound, which in turn means a greater likelihood of punctures, and faster wear on hard surfaces.

The bar chart in this link gives you an idea of suitability of Schwalbe tyres for various conditions.

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/offroad-reader/magic-mary.html

Reactions: tisme

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Looks like Magic Mary's are the tyre but just went to order some but should I go for trailstar or vertstar? Do I need a different tyre front and back?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Looks like Magic Mary's are the tyre but just went to order some but should I go for trailstar or vertstar? Do I need a different tyre front and back?
Probably very little in it, and it may depend on what's available for a sensible price.

I would go for trailstar, sacrificing a tiny amount of grip for better rolling and durability.

Tubeless makes a lot of sense on a tyre of this type.

That's another kettle of fish, but worth thinking about.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Trail star that's what I have.

I paid extra for the SG.

Fitting is also an experience, steel tyre levers and soap.

But there is a huge difference between them and Rapid Robs, like a chasm really.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Falling off at Bedgebury is very common, myself included. I live in Ashford, Kent and have been there a few times.

It's not my cup of tea, very technical and very man made. I found one night as was there for hours and only did about 8 miles. Like Eddie said lower the tyre pressure. There's some great woods near where i live now, very natural and of course the north downs.

Reactions: EddiePJ

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
We quite often ride the Downs, North and South but personally I like the burms and jumps at Bedgbury, horses for courses.

Magic Mary's on order, legs not feeling too bad so off for another ride.

Reactions: IR772

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
We quite often ride the Downs, North and South but personally I like the burms and jumps at Bedgbury, horses for courses.

Magic Mary's on order, legs not feeling too bad so off for another ride.
Enjoy, I'm painting a bedroom today :(

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Hope your paintings going well.

Just a thought is it worth changing the forks they are SR Suntour Raidon RL i could upgrade to fox 32s or Rockshox ?

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hope your paintings going well.

Just a thought is it worth changing the forks they are SR Suntour Raidon RL i could upgrade to fox 32s or Rockshox ?
Finished painting, thank god. It depends on your riding. These forks are entry level, but if your doing mainly trails / pathways and they give you comfort and confidence then keep them for a while. If your doing more rugged stuff, small jumps etc then it would be worth the upgrade. My experience is that your paying more for lower weight, more adjustment and better quality parts that make up the fork.
Another example, is that i've had shimano slx brakes and in my opinion there just as good as the xt / xtr i've got. The more hardcore your mtbing becomes, the more you will appreciate better components, until then enjoy your cycling.

Hope this helps.

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Not sure now if it's worth forks, new front wheel (15mm bolt) tyres etc or just buy a full suspension with all the bits I want. Time to have a think

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Not sure now if it's worth forks, new front wheel (15mm bolt) tyres etc or just buy a full suspension with all the bits I want. Time to have a think
If you really want a full suss then save money for this. I only have one because i've had back issues, other than that a hardtail did much of what a full suss can do (imho).

However, if i could only choose one bike, and i did. It would be a 27.5 full suss e-bike with speed dongle. It really is master of all, brave words but true (again imho).
I'm more than happy for you to have a go of mine if you want, as your in Kent.

Related Articles

Advertisers