Tyres Suggestion for Cube Race Reaction 500 2018

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hello,

Currently running stock Cube supplied Swalbe Smart Sam tyres (29 inches by 2.6 width) but looking to replace as had a few punctures recently. I am not planning to move to tubeless/slime but would rather replace with a more robust tyre for commuting and general road use.

I would like to keep with the larger width but not sure what tyres are available with at lease 2.4 width. I had a look a the Swalbe Marathon Plus 29 but size is 2.1 which I think might a bit thin.

Rapid Robs are 2.25 but it's hard to tell what that would look like (too thin?) until fitted.

Are there other tyres available at 2.4 - 2.6 width that are recommended?

In general, what are others running and what would people suggest as a replacement to the Smart Sams?

Thanks in advance,

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
I noticed that Swalbe do a Smart Sam Plus but it's 2.1 width (29 x 2.1)

Is there something particular about the Cube coming with 2.6 width as I can't seem to find this larger size anywhere? Anybody know where you can buy this size from or perhaps suggest alternatives?

Thanks,

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hmmm .... nobody know where I can get 2.4-2.6 tyres to replace those on the Cube? Everybody with a Race Reaction sticking with the supplied tyres?

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
At the moment I have done 200 miles on a cube race with no problems on stock 2.6 smart sams, both off road on moderately technical trails and on the road. I'm quite happy with them. But like you have been worrying about durability and puncture protection as well as thinking about something slightly more road friendly. From looking at loads of advice on the web I reckon that for 30mm rims you probably need tyres at least 2.3 inches wide (2.2 might be ok but not sure). I've not been able to find anything that's ideal but considered schwalbe nobby nics or possibly maxxis ardents but both of these are much more off-road oriented and probably wouldn't be great on tarmac. I hope some more suggestions come up in this thread. The very expensive alternative would of course be to get a new set of wheels with narrower rims for touring or commuting.

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
I’ve been more than happy with my 2.6 smart sams. Converted them to tubeless very successfully.
They have pretty low rolling resistance but are still reasonable off road for grip. Loving the big volume also. So no plans to change. I’d even buy more when they run out.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I’d leave the smart sams on personally
There a pretty good all rounder

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thanks! Problem is Smart Sam Plus (better protection) and Marathon Plus show on Swalbe website as being available in 29 x 2.25 but I can't find anybody who stocks them.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/offroad-reader/smart-sam-plus.html

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/offroad-reader/marathon-plus-mtb.html

Can't see them listed at all on the 29 x 2.6 size so Cube must be making them special which means replacing exactly will be a bit tricky when they wear.

Maybe others can suggest what they are currently running as it's a popular bike.

Thanks in advance.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks! Problem is Smart Sam Plus (better protection) and Marathon Plus show on Swalbe website as being available in 29 x 2.25 but I can't find anybody who stocks them.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/offroad-reader/smart-sam-plus.html

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/offroad-reader/marathon-plus-mtb.html

Can't see them listed at all on the 29 x 2.6 size so Cube must be making them special which means replacing exactly will be a bit tricky when they wear.

Maybe others can suggest what they are currently running as it's a popular bike.

Thanks in advance.
Try Bike24 https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=13&search=Schwalbe+smart+Sam
and Bike Discount https://www.bike-discount.de/en/search?q=Schwalbe+smart+Sam

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Have a look at the links E-Wheels sent, but also check out other german/european sellers.
I've had to get certain Schwalbe tyres from the continent because of the same issue of limited choice over here. Not had any problems with delivery and postage isn't too bad either (in fact ... often the total order cost is cheaper!)

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Many thanks will check the links!

What would folk recommend - the Smart Sams or the Marathon Plus? As using mainly for communting was leaning towards the Marathon Plus for additional pucture protecting through the cold winter days. Does this sound wise?

Any issues fitting a 29 x 2.25 tyre on a Cube Race Reaction 29 inch rim or is it a straight fit?

Thanks,

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Any issues fitting a 29 x 2.25 tyre on a Cube Race Reaction 29 inch rim or is it a straight fit?

Thanks,
No problems at all size wise
With most frames it’s only extreme widths you get issues with

I’ve used both and if it’s road only marathon plus is a good tyre

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Many thanks will check the links!

What would folk recommend - the Smart Sams or the Marathon Plus? As using mainly for communting was leaning towards the Marathon Plus for additional pucture protecting through the cold winter days. Does this sound wise?

Thanks,
You might want a sticky tyre for cold winter days - that is not the Marathon Plus... Unless they have changed the rubber formula recently.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There are so many puncture resistant tyres, which also grip the road, I don't get this love affair everyone seems to have with the Marathon Plus, which even members on here have said has let them down, literally, on a cold wet road. They are even hard to put on the rim!

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
There are so many puncture resistant tyres, which also grip the road, I don't get this love affair everyone seems to have with the Marathon Plus, which even members on here have said has let them down, literally, on a cold wet road. They are even hard to put on the rim!
Agree. I found converting to a tubeless setup gives more tyre selection options (weight, grip compounds, rolling resistance...etc) whilst maintaining arguably the best puncture protection

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Well we’re all different
I had a specific bike with them on that did 5000 miles never had any problems in that time and sold the bike with them on
I can only give my use on them as a recommendation
I’ve also had super Moto x tyres and they self steer terrible on anything over a 30mm rim so would not recommend them
It’s all down to what we have used in the end
As it is my bike use is 50/50 on and off road so I don’t use road specific tyres any more especially on an ebike where rolling resistance isn’t so much of an issue I also haven’t followed the tubeless trend because until they improve tyres it’s to much arsing about for my liking
:)

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
I have the same bike, bought new from Evans in September 2017.

Once a puncture happens on tyres supplied, found it near impossible to remove the tyre. On replacing the tube, also near impossible to put tyre back on without nipping and puncturing tube.

These tyres really let me down.

Eventually, Evans found me a pair of Maxiss Minion 29x2.4 tyres and fitted them tubeless.

I do not know if they can be used with tubes.

Very happy with them.

Related Articles

Advertisers