Unbelievably bad experience with a Haibike SDURO Trekking S RX

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
A

Are Shimano batteries interchangeable and backwards compatible like the Bosch?
From what I read E8000 batteries and E6000 are meant to be. Would put it to test before buying.

Interchangeable batteries is strong selling point as it encourages brand loyalty. Especially if customer has 2 bikes or spare batteries.

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Just to add I have two more ride booked in this weekend. One on the Haibike fatsix, and the other on the specialzed turbo levo, so will hopefully give me a good comparison of fat vs plus, and the brose motor without the shift recognition as well.

Hi Graham B

How did you find the Levo motor v the yam and bosh systems ?

Richard

Reactions: Emo Rider

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Hi Richard, I'm not sure I will be able to give much useful information as I've only had about half an hour with each motor but I'll try where I can.

To be honest all three motors seemed ok. I felt the Yamaha and Brose motors gave a bit more instant pick up when at the mid power levels, which agrees with their quoted torque figures I guess, but it was all fairly marginal. I didn't get a change to do much in the way of long climbs. The Yamaha prefers a lower cadence so I've read, which suits me as a generally prefer a higher gear and slower spin.

The Levo was a really nice bike, but not for me as I've decided to go for the full fat tyre option. The full fats I have ridden are quite a bit heavier, which makes it harder work for the motors. I am probably looking at the Yamaha myself, as the Bosch is generally the more expensive option.

On the Haibike I'm looking at it's £1000 more for the bosch + the other upgrades on that version, so that only leaves me with the Yamaha. I'm happy with that after my short rides however.

Hope it helps, but you may need to ask someone with more experience.

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Hi
well I did find the Yamaha like you a lot more reactive and have seen the cadence thing people talk about .. but I am looking at the new PW-X if I go for a Yamaha and they have changed from the 80 I think it was to 100 or was it 120 making it a lot better

Think they are all good its just after owning one some times you find you like different things but in fair they all are fun.

Hope you get the full fat and get to enjoy it .. they look super tho I am heading for just a plus

But cheers for the input cant wait to try the Levo out for a day

Richard

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Whilst i like the idea of the full, I think i will probably end up with the hardtail to cut back on running and maintenance time and costs. I suspect as you say until I've had the bike for a while and ridden it over a range of terrain, i won't really know for sure.

Even then I won't have ridden the other option so even if I made the wrong choice I will probably be none the wiser that it would have been better. lol

Enjoy the Levo ride.

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
yes the true test is using it for a while

Guess you have to make your choice and enjoy. Been lucky and had the others for a day. Might keep the levo 2 and have more time off work :p

spending this much I want the right one.

Getting it in the car is also a pain for me but it's just going to have to live with it till I can see about a bike rack

my ideal would be levo and pw-x tho guess ill see how the levo is
People have moved from the other system and enjoy the Levo so guess it's not a bad option either way.

can't see me doing 45 mile trips for a while and if I did it would be more over on roads so would up the mileage more .. but I am going to find out when I get it
In the summer get a trip on the roads to find out

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Levo was a really nice bike, but not for me as I've decided to go for the full fat tyre option. The full fats I have ridden are quite a bit heavier, which makes it harder work for the motors. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Graham by full fat are you meaning the 4" tyres as Levo do a 6fattie but it is "only" 3"?

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Hi Tom, yes. I tried a few 3" tyre bike, including the Levo. I like the feel and the ride of the 4" bikes.

They do make a 4" Levo version, but only available in the US. It's not cheap (£4000) and if you add the shipping it takes it well out of my price range.

Although I have got a holiday booked to the states in April, and was really tempted to try one out there, and bring it back as excess baggage if I liked it. :)

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Graham, aha, I see now. I am picking my new E bike up in Germany in two weeks time, it also coincides with a holiday as we are then off down to Spain, back in early March. We are hoping to get some
cycling in there but need some improvement in the weather forecast first! A friend has just completed the Strathpuffer race yesterday on a 4" fatbike, I have only ridden the 3".

https://www.facebook.com/Strathpuffer-266638930036156/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi Tom, yes. I tried a few 3" tyre bike, including the Levo. I like the feel and the ride of the 4" bikes.

They do make a 4" Levo version, but only available in the US. It's not cheap (£4000) and if you add the shipping it takes it well out of my price range.

Although I have got a holiday booked to the states in April, and was really tempted to try one out there, and bring it back as excess baggage if I liked it. :)
Only one tensy issue. You can't take lithium batteries on aircraft without loads of hassle.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Only one tensy issue. You can't take lithium batteries on aircraft without loads of hassle.
Plus you'd have to get it through customs. 6% import duty. Then once added add another 20% VAT. on total. Ouch. Oh I'd also expect those % are added to the cost of shipping (excess baggage). Plus no real guarantee you'd get customer service outside country of origin.

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that bike is way to small for you if the saddle is that high the frame is to small

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
SW...the frame is a 46cm (medium) , and my doubt in buying it was that frame was too big. That's why I went back and tried it again today.

Standover height is about 80 cm. I gave it a good try, and stopped quick a few times, jumping forward off the saddle. No issue with hitting the bar. I have about 1" clearance.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I should add that I added a shorter seat post for my test ride. This is the original that the shop is going to cut down before I collect.

Sorry, should have added that rather important comment earlier. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you want a dropper post then best upgrade you can get ;)

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I have thought of that and will look once I've got the bike.

Cheers for advice. Always good from someone who knows there way about when I'm new to this.