Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
For those still interested - received just now.
I obviously won't be heading out to pump the tyres up, we can but hope.

Thanks ***,
After speaking with the lawyer he is now under the impression that this will be passed pretty quickly so I won't need to ask for your participation.
You will be cycling again soon.
Thanks.
It would be welcome news , but the question being begged is "by whomever will it be passed? ".

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would be welcome news , but the question being begged is "by whomever will it be passed? ".
Maybe the DfT will stretch a point, they've done it for us in April 2013 in issuing an instruction to police forces not to prosecute for something which was clearly against the law. In addition their instruction also breached EU law, so they can get a bit naughty when placed under enough pressure to act, as they were then.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
That is a good point. I wasn't getting any hopes up that the remnants of Stormont would be active in this so I can only assume that his lawyer is working on something DfT or PSNI wise, but all is just speculation for the moment.

I've just remembered that "disabled snail".......

Reactions: flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Lets cut to the chase here folks,

Truth is we`re all being held to ransom here, both as ebikers, the overstretched Health Service, Education, Infrastructure etc, etc.

We have £1 billion to spend on Hospitals, Roads etc and can`t touch it.

Why? Because one party in particular (S.F.) thinks this country needs an Irish Language Act, and that`s the present sticking point.
Now i could go along with that with no problem if in fact the majority here could speak it in the first place.

Lets look at the facts

0.2% of our N.I. population use Irish as a day today language

6.05% claim to be able to speak Irish to `varying degrees`

According to my calculations thats 94% of people here haven't a clue whats going on!!

Firstly this Act will cost millions to implement, it will bung up every governmental department, everything will have to be interpreted, the Justice system will have to be run both in english and irish if requested.
All signage changed, school literature in dual language, it gets sillier and sillier,

I bet there`s as many Polish speakers living here now, i`m sure they feel a bit miffed.

Anyway, just another stunt from S.F. to impede good government and progress for all of our citizens, they tried it militarily, didn`t work, now from within the political process, won`t work either.

Direct Rule in a few weeks my prediction, sooner the better.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Lets cut to the chase here folks,

Truth is we`re all being held to ransom here, both as ebikers, the overstretched Health Service, Education, Infrastructure etc, etc.

We have £1 billion to spend on Hospitals, Roads etc and can`t touch it.

Why? Because one party in particular (S.F.) thinks this country needs an Irish Language Act, and that`s the present sticking point.
Now i could go along with that with no problem if in fact the majority here could speak it in the first place.

Lets look at the facts

0.2% of our N.I. population use Irish as a day today language

6.05% claim to be able to speak Irish to `varying degrees`

According to my calculations thats 94% of people here haven't a clue whats going on!!

Firstly this Act will cost millions to implement, it will bung up every governmental department, everything will have to be interpreted, the Justice system will have to be run both in english and irish if requested.
All signage changed, school literature in dual language, it gets sillier and sillier,

I bet there`s as many Polish speakers living here now, i`m sure they feel a bit miffed.

Anyway, just another stunt from S.F. to impede good government and progress for all of our citizens, they tried it militarily, didn`t work, now from within the political process, won`t work either.

Direct Rule in a few weeks my prediction, sooner the better.
Tommie I wholeheartedly agree with you... On the language question. Irish is a lovely language for culture and the arts and would make understanding of place names throughout the island and even into Scotland meaningful. That it is hijacked for political posturing means that those well disposed towards it are alienated... And that is not just in NI, it's also the case down south.

And you are right about the cost

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
As you know this country was once divided into parishes and little townlands. I was born in a townland called Mullach Fearnachain which loosely translated means `The hilltop of the Alder fern/tree`.
Every townland has its original Irish name and if you`re a bit of an historian you like to see these things recorded for future generations.
Irish and to a lesser extent UlsterScots (it`s really only a dialect) should be funded, and there`d be no objections to that... but not used as some political weapon to bring the country to a standstill.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Yea, got the same today via Jeffrey.

You`d think to hear Brokenshire we all should be celebrating in the streets now that they`ve got a `DVLA registration process` in place for us!!

Thanks ..... but No Thanks Mr Secretary of State.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Yea, got the same today via Jeffrey.

You`d think to hear Brokenshire we all should be celebrating in the streets now that they`ve got a `DVLA registration process` in place for us!!

Thanks ..... but No Thanks Mr Secretary of State.
Thanks for that Tommie, I was beginning to think I was a voice in the wilderness. I have replied to the SOS suggesting politely that he gets someone to do some vital research before this goes too far.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hey they have a billion pounds to set up all the bureaucracy they want now! It would be interesting to know how many pedelecs there are in NI.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and LeighPing

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Update from the Nolan Show...

Anne reckons she has become the first registered and insured E-bike owner in the UK #EBike

https://audioboom.com/posts/6357850-anne-reckons-she-has-become-the-first-registered-and-insured-e-bike-owner-in-the-uk-ebike

You might remember back in August we talked about the whole e-bike situation. We revealed to the public that unlike England , Scotland and Wales, people in Northern Ireland must have their ebikes insured, taxed and possibly MOT'd.

When we last covered this story, e-bike owners had been advised to NOT use their ebikes and it seemed to be impossible to register an ebike in Northern Ireland.

Anne believes she is the first registered and insured E-bike owner in the UK.

Is this a warning to those who ride illegal/dongled ebikes? As per the above the current situation in NI is they don't have the special dispensation we enjoy in the rest of Europe albeit due to an admin error. Is there a possibility that if we continue to play fast and loose with the current regulations we could end up losing the ebike special status we currently enjoy and will all need to register, wear crash helmets, show a full size registration plate? This is the case with all other means of motorised transport. There are many out there who would like to see this happen.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is this a warning to those who ride illegal/dongled ebikes? As per the above the current situation in NI is they don't have the special dispensation we enjoy in the rest of Europe albeit due to an admin error. Is there a possibility that if we continue to play fast and loose with the current regulations we could end up losing the ebike special status we currently enjoy and will all need to register, wear crash helmets, show a full size registration plate? This is the case with all other means of motorised transport. There are many out there who would like to see this happen.
I don't think there was any chance of this happening while we were EU members with full access to the ECJ. Their equality of treatment principles for EU citizens would protect us. That was also the case for Northern Ireland since they had intended to pass the EU/UK regulations into law before the collapse of the administration.

But now we are leaving the EU it could certainly happen and I can see no real defence. If pedelecs had enjoyed the immense success they've had in the mainland EU cycling countries, such an oppressive measure would be impossible due to so many being opposed. But we are still too small an element for government to care about upsetting perhaps 0.4% of the population. All pedelecs being imports doesn't help, if we had factories making them it might be different.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Are there any details as to what she has done to get it registered.

From the photo I wouldn't have thought the brake levers would have been acceptable.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Are there any details as to what she has done to get it registered.

From the photo I wouldn't have thought the brake levers would have been acceptable.
That oaf Nolan has once again been out scratching for material for his show for the Hard of Thinking and he has discovered a guinea pig who has done none of us any favours. We wanted parity with the rest of the UK over use of pedelecs.
The lady has applied to the DVLA apparently several times and they eventually found a way to register her bicycle as a moped.......
Insurance was apparently "difficult" but after many attempts she apparently secured some sort of as yet unspecified cover for £100.
As for an MOT, aside from brake levers I would assume there are indicators and a brake light somewhere.
Give me strength.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
That oaf Nolan has once again been out scratching for material for his show for the Hard of Thinking and he has discovered a guinea pig who has done none of us any favours. We wanted parity with the rest of the UK over use of pedelecs.
The lady has applied to the DVLA apparently several times and they eventually found a way to register her bicycle as a moped.......
Insurance was apparently "difficult" but after many attempts she apparently secured some sort of as yet unspecified cover for £100.
As for an MOT, aside from brake levers I would assume there are indicators and a brake light somewhere.
Give me strength.
No way it's a Kosher registration! As shown in the following videos, the requirements are numerous and not easy to achieve:

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Give me strength.
What i think of `Anne` and Nolan isn`t printable on a public forum

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Are they registering bikes in N.I like you would a mobility scooter?,just a bit of form filling and away you go? Is the L1-ea MSVA now not applicable ? The guy in the videos above has still not taken his bike for test yet. It's over 4kw and cant go through the MSVA as a L1-eb/moped it has go for the motorcycle test. How does he get away with it part 2.

Sent from my MTK8382 using Tapatalk

• Agree

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
H

Here Ted, Ive a good solution for yea, its what me and most others in NI will be doing for the forseeable future. Get on your bike and enjoy it, say nothing, register with nothing, and see if our already stretched police force and judicial system will be bothered chasing you down for not displaying your ebike licence on the rear of your bike.......

But if you are going to do the unbeleivable and register, let me know the expression on the faces of the guys in the MOT centre when you cycle up to Lane 1 with your MOT booking form....
This was exactly my thoughts....everyone in NI just ride your bike and don't even attempt to investigate registering......and then along comes Anne.

Thanks a lot Anne.....now you've screwed it up for everyone else!!!!!