Upgrade fever

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Ok, clocked a few hundred miles on my bafang BPM 36v 350w with the 36v battery and controller from woosh. If I wanted to go to 48v what would be my best / cheapest path. Was thinking a 12v lipo booster . Got stacks of 3s in the workshop from my planes. Is this a possibility? Do I need. New controller? Would there be space in the hailong case to add cells if I wanted?

All these questions.

Are there any answers?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You have a 10S battery. 12S (44v) is a high as you can go without buying a new controller. To use a booster battery, you cut one of the main battery wires and put a male connector on one side and a female on the other so that you can connect them together. Then, you put corresponding connectors on the two booster battery wires so that, it's in series with the main battery when connected, and when you don't want to use it, you can remove it and connect the wire back together for normal operation.

You need a separate monitoring system for your lipos, and you need to be aware that your controller won't switch off when the main battery is depleted as long as the booster is connected.

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
maybe id be better making up a booster with some matched samsung cells or whatever is in the hailong box.
would that avoid the problem of over discharging?

D

Deleted member 4366

maybe id be better making up a booster with some matched samsung cells or whatever is in the hailong box.
would that avoid the problem of over discharging?
No. The problem is that the controller won't switch off until the combined voltage is down to 30v, which would be 2.5v per cell if they were all evenly matched.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
how would the monitoring wiring work for the lipo? would it be possible to monitor voltages of both the hailong and the booster pack separately?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you can wait until around 7th November, I would have completed all the tests on the new 48V 17A BPM system.
The 48V kits arrive on 31st October.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
If you can wait until around 7th November, I would have completed all the tests on the new 48V 17A BPM system.
The 48V kits arrive on 31st October.
what kinda price would a 48v battery cost? would it have the built in controller to do a straight swap for the 36v unit? what kinda value would you put on a 36v battery pack if i was to stick it up for sale?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the 48V kits cost the same as the 36V kits, the battery cell pack is changed from 10S5P to 13S4P. The controller runs at 48V instead of 36V.
It's early days - but I hope that the 48V kits would find their place in eMTBs.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
no chance of buying the battery and controller. already got the kit installed that i only fitted a few weeks ago. wanted to run the motor at 48v not fit a whole new kit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that why I asked if you could wait so we can look into ways to transit from 36V to 48V.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
aahh ok cool. you probably hear this all the time but cant believe how quick it is to get about on an ebike. to get to my local city is faster than driving at peak times and easier than the train

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers