Upping by budget for an ebike. But which one?

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
Hello all,

I am buying a new bike and after much deliberation about a woosh rio mountain bike and an oxygen MTB, I have decided to up my budget from £1500 to £2500ish and likely go for one of the following

https://www.evanscycles.com/haibike-sduro-cross-4-0-2017-electric-hybrid-bike-EV299278

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/giant-bikes/road_e-2_2016.html

What do you guys think?

I will be mostly commuting to work and back every day on roads, close to 40 miles round trip.

I do have a concern with the Yamaha motor which is on both bikes though, as it doesn't have shift sensing and can wear the gears/chain However, the giant bike has Giant PedalPlus 4-sensor technology, which I think is similar to the bosch shift sensing and turns down the power slightly when changing gear. Correct me if I'm wrong on this?

Any help or suggestions with other bikes would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want a good CD motor, the CX is difficult to beat, runner up is the Shimano Steps 8000.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
But what are your reasons to ignore please? Is the yamaha just as good? Does it not cause a lot more wear and crunching?
So far, I've not noticed any significant difference in the crunching between the Yamaha and the Bosch (although that is riding sensibly and knocking back the leg power as you're changing gear as you're suppose to do anyway).
I can certainly get my Bosch bike to give just as crunchy gear changes as my wifes Yamaha! There is no dedicated 'shift sensor' anywhere in the gear change mechanism/drive, unlike some systems where there is a switch connected to the gear cable.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget that the Yamaha is the only one that can be derestricted without a dongle. that saves you £130.

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
Don't forget that the Yamaha is the only one that can be derestricted without a dongle. that saves you £130.
Hmmm. Very interesting!That does make a difference (if I decided to do that). (Off road /private land of course). Is it easy to do? Is it just a case of moving the sensor and magnet to the pedals instead of the wheel? Or is there another way I can easily switch between the two? On/off switch.

Out of interest, which bike would you choose? The giant or the haibike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a haibike with a bad ass dongle but the giant will limit you to road riding only.

if you want warranty and a dongle then only ebike shop will do this and fit it for 150 quid :rolleyes:

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
i have a haibike with a bad ass dongle but the giant will limit you to road riding only.

if you want warranty and a dongle then only ebike shop will do this and fit it for 150 quid :rolleyes:

That does sound temping. Is it really easy to switch between road legal and derestricted at a flick of a button so to speak? I have heard the police are clamping down in certain areas and have a means to check your bike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
some dongles have a on and off button via the light button and some have the right mph on the screen or like my badd ass dongle shows half speed but can be removed in seconds.

the police are not interested round here.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have the Yamaha motor, moving the sensor and the magnet works. Giant call the Yamaha their Syncdrive, but it's no different to a Yamaha on any other bike is it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If you have the Yamaha motor, moving the sensor and the magnet works. Giant call the Yamaha their Syncdrive, but it's no different to a Yamaha on any other bike is it?
gubbins has one maybe he could give it a try n see if it works or not tho i bet i wont but you never know until its been proven one way or the other.;)

D

Deleted member 4366

He's already done it, but he doesn't want to tell anyone. My bike's restricted too.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Hello all,

I am buying a new bike and after much deliberation about a woosh rio mountain bike and an oxygen MTB, I have decided to up my budget from £1500 to £2500ish and likely go for one of the following

https://www.evanscycles.com/haibike-sduro-cross-4-0-2017-electric-hybrid-bike-EV299278

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/giant-bikes/road_e-2_2016.html

What do you guys think?

I will be mostly commuting to work and back every day on roads, close to 40 miles round trip.

I do have a concern with the Yamaha motor which is on both bikes though, as it doesn't have shift sensing and can wear the gears/chain However, the giant bike has Giant PedalPlus 4-sensor technology, which I think is similar to the bosch shift sensing and turns down the power slightly when changing gear. Correct me if I'm wrong on this?

Any help or suggestions with other bikes would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Winstanleys bikes in Wigan are doing the 2016 Giant road E+2 for £1799.

Solarbake

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2014
Winstanleys bikes in Wigan are doing the 2016 Giant road E+2 for £1799.
Either bike would be nice,i do the same commute 40 mile round trip and your def need it derestricted either with dongle or the magnet trick as you will find it too slow,i have a kalkhoff bs10 which is a speed pedelec 45km/h it is 3,5 years old now but still working well.Its up to 14000 miles on it now,but it's just been recelled by jimmy at BGA with a 14ah battery
and it's unbelievable now with range and power.
I do each half of the trip in well under an hour.Normally 55 minutes and the same trip driving ranges from 35-45 minutes depending on traffic.
Enjoy whatever you get.

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
I went for the haibike in the end. Managed to get it for £1890 with ebikes direct. (originally £2100. So pretty good price.

I will derestrict myself though. Looks pretty easy on youtube