URGENT decision help needed asap

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Sorry for repetition from another post but thought it would get more replies if I made this particular problem a bit obvious and hope for some replies this evening.. (Gulps )

So mucho bucks for lowest spec Bosch bike on cycle to work scheme also (ktm?) with no lights or rack

VERUS

Kahlkoff aggattu c8 Impulse hs but medium frame only supplied.. At £1595 and cycle to work factored in? BUT that is sale price ending midnight tonight (I always have dilemmas!!) so that will go up to £2195 tomorrow I believe?!

from the above choice which would you choose? Why?

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Western part of West Yorkshire
Sorry for repetition from another post but thought it would get more replies if I made this particular problem a bit obvious and hope for some replies this evening.. (Gulps )

So mucho bucks for lowest spec Bosch bike on cycle to work scheme also (ktm?) with no lights or rack

VERUS

Kahlkoff aggattu c8 Impulse hs but medium frame only supplied.. At £1595 and cycle to work factored in? BUT that is sale price ending midnight tonight (I always have dilemmas!!) so that will go up to £2195 tomorrow I believe?!

from the above choice which would you choose? Why?
I actually bought the Kalkhoff in the sale a few weeks back. It is a splendid machine, very well made and easy/comfortable to ride. The electric assistance is very intuitive and suits me fine. It is big though. I am a 29 inch inside leg and it is right on the borderline size wise for me. Great battery capacity - I charged it up and it has gone 52 miles so far on the first charge (hilly routes). That's what I think about the Kalkhoff anyway - good luck!

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thank you. I take it you got the medium size?? They do not do small and I am 5'6" (grown an inch in a week!)

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Neither not becuase they are not good bikes but because you have not even been out and tried a few to see what kind of bike you want/like.

£1595 is a lot to spend on something you have never even tried and once bought you are stuck with it.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Yes I know that but ignoring that factor and assuming the issue of my preference is the same for the ' ride' then what are observations? Should sale price running out affect this decision. be gutting to choose Kalkhoff after today with price up by a few hundreds?

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Western part of West Yorkshire
Yes it was the medium size. It might be too big for you though. Inside leg minimum 29 inch I would say. I bought it without trying it on the strength of the reviews on this and other web sites and although I was taking a bit of a risk it was a calculated one and I have certainly not regretted it.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
eight of my boardman seat to floor is 34" and I can put tops of feet down comfy like..... Or should I be measuring some other way for height thing??

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Wissy, I am 5' 7", 30" inside leg measured to floor and have the Kalkhoff medium with the seat on its lowest possible position.

I still find the bike feels big even though I measured within the parameters for it. If your Boardman was a Porsche this would be a stretch limo and the frame tubing is chunky. Don't underestimate ;) ... the bike is well over 20kg before you put any bags on it and you are used to riding something a fraction of that.

When stopped at traffic lights I often rest my left foot on the kerb because when I go down to the ground it is a stretch. When the bike is fully loaded I feel it even more - and that's because I am only 62kg. I never ask a gal her weight as it's rude, but if you are light then heavier bikes feel heavier than they do if you are not :p. With a big bike you are 'righting it' as you set off with your pedal stroke (there is no scooter-style throttle) and you need to be able to control it properly. These are things you will live with every day if you get them wrong. I wouldn't want my Agattu any bigger or for me to be any shorter in the leg than I am.

I know you want me to say the Agattu is right, yes, go buy it. Not surprising as it is an incredible price deal for that bike - even 2nd hand ones fetch that. However, if it is too big for you and you have long steep hills rather than just short stretches of hill then as I have already said you may find you wind up putting in more effort than you bargained on.

So if you do go ahead remember the cautions you have been given ;)

Last edited:

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi

many many thanks. That i formation makes so much sense actually. I think I will now stop panicking because a sale is over and give the Kalkhoff a miss. Mixture of things and don't fancy working to a deadline of midnight!

So..... Back to Bosch bikes and learning a bit more. i t's odd how many manufacturers don't actually give geometry dimensions on their bikes... ho de hum. ignore the urgent bit now and perhaps this thread bit can be added / blended to my spartacus one?

Mods?

D

Deleted member 4366

There will always be moore one-off special deals - hopefully one will be your ideal bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm 5' 6" and the medium Agattu was too big for me, I had to swap out the sprung seatpost fopr a rigid one to even ride it.

If it is found to be suitable, don't just take the end of sale as final. Its mid winter, make the offer of the sale amount and don't be surprised if it's accepted!

DavePat

Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
Tyne and Wear
I am 5' 8" with 29" inside leg and when I tried the Wisper Alpino I found I could not even get on, that is a 20" frame. This seems the smallest frame bike they have on the 50 cycles website. I have been drooling over some of the KTMs and Haibikes on the Just Ebikes and e-motion websites. If you check out the bikes on there they show numerous frame options. The Haibike trekking in the sale looks good value to me but it is the Ladies frame. The Macina cross also looks nice, small 8 aH battery though.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Macina is also available with larger battery (11ah). If you want more drooling see full range below. KTM offer a wide range of frame sizes so you should be able to get a bike to fit you well. Haibikes should be more widely available now Raleigh are distributor. We looked into selling them but gave up after trying to contact them several times and hearing nothing. You are spoilt for choice.

KTM E-Bikes 2013: KTM e-Bikes 2013
(UK RRP list is here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B35vfCMfgy1GOHl5Z1YwekpBN1U/edit?pli=1)

Ian Armistead

Just Joined
Feb 3, 2013
A, A
After having a Dawes Boost for three months with battery issues, I changed to a Raleigh Velo Trail, now I know it doesn't have a throttle but the pedal assist with front wheel drive is more than enough to get you through the strong winds & hill climbing. Having the extra 7th gear makes a lot of difference over the 6 I had with the Dawes. You felt like you could've pushed harder with that one but no higher gear to do it with. Very pleased with the Velo by Raleigh & would recommend it.