US Vs UK firmware

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Does anyone know if it's possible to derestrict a UK bike at 15.5mph to the American class 1 20mph limit? That little extra would make all the difference commuting and obviously well within the bikes developed limits. Don't like the idea of hacks that half speed display. I like the thought that all gathered mileage data is correct .

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
There are plenty mods out there to speed up your bike, usually called Dongles.

However remember it is illegal in this country to have assistance above 15Mph, it will also use your battery up much quicker. And if you have a accident and Joe Plod gets involved you might find yourself in the sticky stuff.

But lots out there if you Google.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Yeah I get the dongle route but there must be a firmware solution as identical bikes in the US get a 20mph limit. I don't really like the idea of messing with the wiring on something more expensive than my car. I'm getting really drawn to the levo and I know it's easy to adjust the wheel size but even that annoys me as I'd like to keep the speed and tachometer genuine.

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Yeah I get the dongle route but there must be a firmware solution as identical bikes in the US get a 20mph limit. I don't really like the idea of messing with the wiring on something more expensive than my car. I'm getting really drawn to the levo and I know it's easy to adjust the wheel size but even that annoys me as I'd like to keep the speed and tachometer genuine.
The Badass dongle and the Speedclip dongle both operate without any wiring changes, FYI. I have a Speedclip on my KTM.

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Speed reading is inaccurate over approximately 9-10 MPH. But that's the price to pay for no software or wiring mods. Doesn't bother me at all since I never actually look at my speed - I *feel* it. ;-)

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's speed you want, get an Oxygen S-cross. They're a lot cheaper and a lot better to ride on the road. When you go off-road, 20 mph isn't much help, because you can't go that fast uphill and you don't need any power to go downhill.

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
If it's speed you want, get an Oxygen S-cross. They're a lot cheaper and a lot better to ride on the road. When you go off-road, 20 mph isn't much help, because you can't go that fast uphill and you don't need any power to go downhill.
Where I find that I leverage the destricted capability off-road is on flowy flat trails. Back off slightly and rail the turns, then let it fly every time things get straight for a bit. Feels somewhat like riding my KTM dirt bike in that mode!

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
It's the road speed that would make the difference for me. Im pretty sure I'll keep my rockhopper with the BPM for commuting as it's pimped out with a very nice topeak rear shopping basket, lol. But I've got a local trail center that's within riding distance, about 14 miles away but a short train journey puts me about 6 miles. Just annoying that the yanks get 20mph

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I'm surprised there hasn't been a reverse engineering effort on the Bosch system, I'd be tempted to have a go myself but I don't have access to the Bosch management software.

Advertisers